Alternator for Volvo

mldpt

Visit site
Hi does anybody know where I can get a new alternator for my Volvo 2003, or even where I can get mine rebuilt, a new Volvo one is out of the question, I would rather buy a new engine which would com with a new one fitted.
Mike

pvb

Visit site
Any auto electrical shop should be able to rebuild your existing alternator (check Yellow Pages for details). If you'd prefer to buy a new (or recon) alternator, why not ask Adverc for their recommendations? See www.adverc.co.uk for more info. They have a wide choice of alternators, available alone or as packages with the Adverc smart regulator. Sounds like you're upset by Volvo spares prices (who isn't?); for the price of a replacement Volvo 50amp unit, you could buy a beefier unit from another supplier.

jamesjermain

Visit site
I fitted an automotive 60amp Bosch to my Volvo 2003 when the original failed in mid-atlantic. The price and fitting charge was ridiculously low, but since it was done in the Azores, probably not much help to you.

JJ

G

The original alternator on my Volvo MD2 was a brushless (for less electrical radio noise) unit. When it packed up, the replacement came from a car scrap yard and had to have noise filters fitted. It works and, cost a lot less than a replacement from Volvo.

seahorse

Visit site
Please bear in mind the fact that volvo buy in a lot of their parts. Most of the electrical parts have Bosch part numbers which can be bought from trade auto suppliers at a big price reduction. Think about making a new alternator bracket & fitting a different alternator. Could be very cost effective.

G

Talk to Keypart - they usually offer Volvo parts at very reduced prices? They are on the web ...

davidhand

Visit site
Your post peaked my interest as I have a 2003. I looked in the West Marine catalog and they have Balmar units 75 Amp #912-75 single output $389.99; or a 75 Amp dual output #912-75D for $489.99. I don't know how this price compares with UK but its worth a thought. www.westmarine.com