Allowed on boat...

Old Harry

Visit site
Without getting dragged into another conversation.... I think you need to bear in mind that the vast majorityof law enforcement in the UK is based around what is considered reasonable and this will vary from place to place and according to circumstance. The recent legislation around Coronavirus specifically states that no person may leave the place where they are living without a reasonable excuse, and it then goes on to provide examples including the need to take exercise. The simple question the police will be asking is is it reasonable for you to have to drive your car in order to take exercise? If you live in a significantly built up area where it would be difficult to safely take exercise without exposing yourself to risk of infection from others I would argue it may be reasonable for you to drive to a more suitable location, if however reasonable exercise could safely be had close to home then it may not be?
This obviously does not apply to our neighbours dickhead son

Triassic

Visit site
That was a great link Kukri posted to the Singapore PM speech, if only our politicians sounded half as convincing. The last two minutes were particularly interesting when he talks about how they had achieved what they had through the co-operation and support of his population. Again a man that knows his public.

johnalison

Visit site
Hi John,

Even though you may not be as aged as me, I would have thought that, by now, you would have given up expecting any sense from politicians!

Peter.
Thank you, Peter. It is not a question of what sense or lack of that I am expecting, but what we will be permitted to do. For the time being, I am content to stay well out of the way while the NHS practices on the foolish or unfortunate, in the hope that I will be able to avail myself of a vaccine (small chance) or the full attention of my attendants when I become ill.

A part of me still feels that I would have wished that the spread had taken its course with less moderation. Those of us who are old and useless would have had to take their chance but the economy would have kept going. Some thousands of useful citizens would have died 'unnecessarily' but the country's recovery would have been more robust. In the long run, what may prove to matter is the state of our economy in relation to that of other countries.

jordanbasset

Visit site
The new rules seemed reasonably clear to me, the most relevant parts in terms of travelling/exercise seems to be this
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/pdfs/uksi_20200350_en.pdf
6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.
(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need— ...
(b) to take exercise either alone or with other members of their household; ...

(f) to travel for the purposes of work or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where it is not reasonably possible for that person to work, or to provide those services, from the place where they are living; ...

So from reading that travelling is restricted to specific purposes,(detailed list in the above rules) exercise or working on your own boat for that matter is not one of those listed purposes.

The problem is because it is not absolutely clear cut it does give wriggle room. So I think it does need spelling out that travel for exercise is ruled out and perhaps a geographical limit of how far you can exercise from your own home. Suggested elsewhere on this forum a limit of 3 miles, which would be about right to me
As to the UK people some how not being willing to follow the rules, I think if they were very clear the vast majority would do just that. It is the slight ambiguity which allows some to interpret them as it suits their circumstances. I cannot believe that the UK is a much more lawless place than the rest of the world. who on the whole are following lock downs where they are in place

Tomahawk

Visit site
three miles. 30 miles..

Once inside a car... which forces you to be far more than 2m from any strangers it is Just a matter of how much time and fuel you use.

As a matter of interest, your local county council promote driving up to 30 miles as sustainable transport... providing you take a bus for the final three miles.... they call it park and ride... go figure?

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk
three miles. 30 miles..

Once inside a car... which forces you to be far more than 2m from any strangers it is Just a matter of how much time and fuel you use.
Just a matter of how much time and fuel used
... and how many road traffic accidents occur.

It's not to stop the spread of the virus, although it may help a little (yes, probably not very much at all), it's more to cut the number of people ending up in the A & E Dept.

Yes, people do have accidents at home, but far less likely to get seriously injured than they are on the road. This is why the police are calling for people to stay at home.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

It's not to stop the spread of the virus, although it may help a little (yes, probably not very much at all), it's more to cut the number of people ending up in the A & E Dept.

Yes, people do have accidents at home, but far less likely to get seriously injured than they are on the road. This is why the police are calling for people to stay at home.

It's not often i'm almost speechless...........................

GlennG

Visit site

So not only are we risk averse to the virus, we're suddenly incapable of driving to the boat without crashing on the empty roads. The world's gone mad; we're all doomed I tell ye!

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk
So not only are we risk averse to the virus, we're suddenly incapable of driving to the boat without crashing on the empty roads. The world's gone mad; we're all doomed I tell ye!
Seems some people can't get their heads around a very simple concept.

How to cut down the number of road traffic accidents in the simplest & easiest way possible?
That would be to cut the number of vehicles using the roads.
Fewer people driving around, fewer people to have accidents, therefore, fewer people being brought into the A&E.

Is this too difficult to comprehend or are road traffic accidents not a real thing?

Of course, having made it to the boat safely, the RNLI aren't ever going to be called out to help someone in a private yacht, because that doesn't ever happen, either. Right?

PilotWolf

Visit site
So despite the reduction in traffic on the roads, local news (BBC Essex) still had RTC's being announced on the traffic yesterday

Living in LA the traffic is usually awful. A few years ago I spent some time in Michigan and the then gf used to leave for work at silly dark o clock so I’d watch the news channel - they’d report even basic breakdowns. Their busy traffic was like 0300 traffic here.

Id love to move there but I don’t think I could do the summer humidity and bugs, the winter snow was fun though.

W.

GlennG

Visit site
For some reason we've all become ultra-risk-adverse. Two weeks ago we were all driving around in our fast cars and accepting the risk of a few accidents. Now, it's verboten. The thought of a solo sail across the Channel is a distant memory.

At least we can now see where the loo rolls went: to wrap people up in cotton wool.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
For some reason we've all become ultra-risk-adverse . . .

Not in the slightest. - What we have become is risk aware.
Most people are now aware that there is a very real risk of hospitals in this country being overwhelmed by corona virus patients.
We've been asked to both slow down the rate of the infection and to reduce the load on A&E, by staying at home.
For most people that's seems a sensible enough plan to comply with.

Last edited:

shirazchaz

Visit site
It seems likely that the lockdown will go on for some time.

The regulations are going to have to be modified to take account of more and more special circumstances.

I fear the reverse - the regulations are (in my view) framed to minimise the risk of anyone coming in to contact with anyone else regardless of their status - minimising travel, exceptions and other special cases while providing sufficient flexibility to prevent the population going mad, revolting or abandoning any attempt to comply because it is simply too hard....I'm still working albeit in a very different way to two weeks ago to provide security for our boat owners and some "special" circumstances which I'd rather not elaborate on. There will come a point when we can't justify our continued presence on site when viewed against the intention of the regulations. Once we have got our minds round the current situation I very much expect the exceptions/special cases to be reduced in number , to do otherwise risks the population seeking out reasons not to comply and thus negating the very purpose of the "lockdown".

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
So despite the reduction in traffic on the roads, local news (BBC Essex) still had RTC's being announced on the traffic yesterday
Not surprised! Doing my daily exercise cycle rides (legal local) I have been passed at ludicrous speeds by cars taking advantage of the empty roads.

GlennG

Visit site
Not in the slightest. - What we have become is risk aware.
Most people are now aware that there is a very real risk of hospitals in this country being overwhelmed by corona virus patients.

Listen to Lord Sumption - former justice of the Supreme court - on the World At One today (Radio 4, 30th March) - around 17m in.

"The real problem is that when human societies loose their freedoms, it's not usually because tyrants have taken it away, it's usually because people willingly surrender their freedom in return for protection against some external threat. And the threat is usually a real threat usually exaggerated and that's what I fear we are seeing now. The pressure on politicians has come from the public; they want action and they don't pause to ask whether the action will work; they don't ask whether the cost will be worth paying; they want action anyway.

Anyone who's studied history will recognise the classic symptoms of mass hysteria. Hysteria is infectious, we are working ourselves up into a lather, in which we exaggerate the threat and stop asking ourselves whether the cure may be worse than the disease."

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Listen to Lord Sumption - former justice of the Supreme court - on the World At One today (Radio 4, 30th March) - around 17m in.

"The real problem is that when human societies loose their freedoms, it's not usually because tyrants have taken it away, it's usually because people willingly surrender their freedom in return for protection against some external threat. And the threat is usually a real threat usually exaggerated and that's what I fear we are seeing now. The pressure on politicians has come from the public; they want action and they don't pause to ask whether the action will work; they don't ask whether the cost will be worth paying; they want action anyway.

Anyone who's studied history will recognise the classic symptoms of mass hysteria. Hysteria is infectious, we are working ourselves up into a lather, in which we exaggerate the threat and stop asking ourselves whether the cure may be worse than the disease."
Not so sure about the above. Normally we accept the risks of seasonal flu which largely kills off the old despite the flu jab saving many. Covid has no vaccine, is extremely contagious, unpredictable in effect, has as yet no effective treatments and is killing off the young as well as the old. It’s no use being free if you are dead. Seems to me it’s worthwhile pausing the eco nomy and freedoms for a spell to give us time to develop vaccines and treatments and avoid horrendous world deaths as in 1918 to 1921.