Allowed on boat...

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
MDL have told everyone to stay away and the also say that people are not to “self isolate” on their boats. They do helpfully say that their staff will check warps and fenders and will remove any perishable items on board if asked to do so.

Last edited:

tillergirl

Visit site
The Crouch Harbour Authority

NOTICE TO MARINERS No 10 of 2020

INFORMATION

COVD 19 Restrictions
Recreational and Leisure Activities

We are issuing this notice in line with current Government Coronavirus (COVID 19) restrictions issued on Monday 23 March 2020.
To reduce social contact travel and potential strain on emergency services, we strongly recommend that all recreational and leisure activities on the tidal rivers Crouch and Roach are avoided until the current Government restrictions are relaxed.
Our priority is to keep the harbour open and functioning as long as possible. From 9 March the Crouch Harbour Authority implemented contingency planning measures to separate key workers who maintain our harbour patrols, pilot services and office staff. As a result of our resilience measures we have a reduced capability in responding to leisure incidents and enquiries. Although the harbour office is closed to the public it remains open for business by email and telephone. We regret that there may be delays when responding to routine enquiries.
We ask for your cooperation and understanding during the National Emergency.

Leighb

Visit site
On the PM radio programme, they had a listeners' questions session and one was "Can I drive somewhere to walk?". The answer was yes provided that you walked in a responsibly socially distant manner. So if you drive to the boat, keep away from other people and go out solo or with someone you live with, I can't see the difference between that and driving to go for a walk. Yet again, the governement advice leaves too much leeway for interpretation.
I have also seen an authoritative Q&A site where it states the exact opposite!!!

ex-Gladys

Visit site
I know the line has to be drawn somewhere, but it's difficult to explain why my 17 year old grandaughter can visit her Dad but her 19 year old sister cannot.
They accept that they can't sail two person dinghies but why not Lasers or windsurfers or SUPs.
The answer has to be "because the law says so!"
Thankfully they are both responsible people, but I sympathise with parents of stroppy teenagers.

What about the risk if they have an issue and need rescue, and the risks that RNLI/support boat crew may be exposed to?

Dan Tribe

Visit site
What about the risk if they have an issue and need rescue, and the risks that RNLI/support boat crew may be exposed to?
Fair point.
To clarify, my lot accept the situation and have no intention of going out.
The argument about possibly needing rescuing could be applied to people falling off their bikes, yet cycling seems to be encouraged.
I was trying to illustrate the problem of making a one rule fits all.

Last edited:

Aquaboy

Visit site
The big crane was at Wolverstone today so I assume they were launching.

Surely this is all about common sense really.
The notice to mariners says" we strongly recommend" and not you can't.
The thing is they don't want a load of yachties driving out of London on a sunny day, getting in the usual pickle and infecting every where into the bargain !! On the other hand if you live in Burnham or nearby I see no reason why you can't pop down, keep your self to your self and have a sail around for a few hours as your exercise. For body and mind.

If we are sensible and keep a low profile no one will worry, if we behave like idiots and become noticed then we will get stopped.

And don't phone the harbour master and ask permission. It puts him in a predicament and I would imagine he will say no. He won't want to but hasn't a choice!

ex-Gladys

Visit site
The big crane was at Wolverstone today so I assume they were launching.

Surely this is all about common sense really.
The notice to mariners says" we strongly recommend" and not you can't.
The thing is they don't want a load of yachties driving out of London on a sunny day, getting in the usual pickle and infecting every where into the bargain !! On the other hand if you live in Burnham or nearby I see no reason why you can't pop down, keep your self to your self and have a sail around for a few hours as your exercise. For body and mind.

If we are sensible and keep a low profile no one will worry, if we behave like idiots and become noticed then we will get stopped.

And don't phone the harbour master and ask permission. It puts him in a predicament and I would imagine he will say no. He won't want to but hasn't a choice!

So... what did you think of all those people on the seafront at Southend/Southwold/Cromer/in Wales/Scotland/Cornwall at the weekend?

The Govt has said STAY AT HOME, there's no wriggle room. Have you seen the Govt video by Chris Witty? Stay Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives!!!

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I have some friends in Shotley village.

Friend A has a dog, no boat.
Friend B has a dog and a boat.
Friend C has a boat, but no dog.

The marina has a public right of way along one side, where many people from the village walk, or take their dogs for a walk.

So all three friends can come to the marina for a walk, with or without the dogs, but none of them can stop at the boat ?

They can't drive here, in case they have an accident. But they could cycle, or come here on a horse.

Friend C is a plumber, so he can drive almost all the way here, stopping off at the building site on the edge of the marina property. He can spend the day on the site with all the other workers, there was about 10 vans there when i drove past this morning (on my way to buy food for myself and some friends who are self isolating). When he finishes working with the other dozen builders he can drive his van home, but he can't drive it the last few 100 yds to check on his boat, although he could walk, as part of his daily exercise, as long as he walks past the boat without stopping.

Within a few yards of where i'm sitting, there are boats that i have to do some work on, would walking those few yards, to unattended boats, be OK ?

If it's not OK, why does my wife have to drive 12 miles to work in a factory with 50 other people ?

As said above, there isn't a one rule that fits all. But, with the idiots we have to share the planet with, such as those at the various seaside venues, the rules tend to be geared to stop the biggest idiots.

It's somewhat telling, when the govt has to produce adverts to tell people how to wash their hands. Happy birthday.............

Last edited:

Rappey

Visit site
Today my boat was antifouled on a grid/piles. It lives on a swinging mooring.
It needed seacock inspection and anode change.
So my business A ( the customer) paid my business B ,me.
Work that can't be done from home and necessary to make sure the vessel does not sink and cause large environmental pollution ?
That's how it works with super yachts.

cookijwm

Visit site
Our yards are closed and I respect that decision fully as being in the letter and spirit, but it seems marinas are by and large open, except MDL . Others seem relaxed, unless things have changed from last night. I'm amazed. Driving to your boat is not essential . I could walk to my dinghy or wheel my canoe down but it does not seem at all what is being asked of us , which is stay at home unless its essential or for routine exercise....hard to interpret boating as that tbh.

Rappey

Visit site
I can get to my boat without seeing anyone as i can see it from my house and live in a quiet area.
I do agree that going to it is not in the spirit of isolation at home..

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
You got to wonder what part of stay at home people are not understanding.

In simple terms keep out of everyones way and don't be or even possibly be a burden on the NHS or any other emergency services.

So very simple Stay at home

This i think may be the first time ive ever agreed with you ... 100%!

It's a simple message ... stay in your home unless you absolutely and unavoidably HAVE to go out

We were asked nicely to do it and too many people ignored it

So now we've been TOLD to do it and still people are trying to find loopholes and justifications for not complying

If enough people keep THAT up we're going to see even more draconian measures before this is over

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I’m in my office, wearing a mask, just now, because the Minister for our sector likes teleconferences twice a week and my CEO wants me there with him as he isn’t British and needs help understanding our system.

I carry a letter saying that my travel is essential.