Allowed on boat...

Tradewinds

Visit site
There's a difference between the limits of HHA and VTS...
Well, I Iooked on both harbour authority's websites and couldn't find any information where one authority ended on the Orwell and the other one started.

Would be handy to know definitively.

tillergirl

Visit site
It is on the UKHO charts: It's a big area

North - just short of the Woodbridge Haven buoy out to the NW Shipwash (not a completely straight line at the shore end which is north of Cobbolds Pt. Then east from the NW Shipwash to the W. Shipwash, down to the S. Shipwash. Then due east 'for a little while', then due north clear of the Rough Tower until turning NW ish just south of the Cork Sand Yacht Beacon. Just past west of the Cork Sand, there is then a circle south and west until the limit hits the shore just short of the Naze. including Pennyhole Bay. In the Orwell the limit meets ABP Ipswich just before the 'Orwell' PHB. Haven't found it on the Stour.

DavidofMersea

Visit site
Here’s a thought......sailing is travelling. It’s not essential......so you cannot .

I have a friend who lives in Colchester and has a rowing dinghy in West Mersea. In the UK exercise is allowed/encouraged so surely he could drive from Colchester and go for a row. He would not be a danger to anybody driving to Mersea in a closed car, or out in his rowing dinghy

johnalison

Visit site
I have a friend who lives in Colchester and has a rowing dinghy in West Mersea. In the UK exercise is allowed/encouraged so surely he could drive from Colchester and go for a row. He would not be a danger to anybody driving to Mersea in a closed car, or out in his rowing dinghy
I appreciate that Mersea is more or less cut off and that news travels slowly to get there, but I think it is likely, unless your Colchester friend has been asleep, that he will have learned of the several reasons why this is not a good idea.

DavidofMersea

Visit site
I appreciate that Mersea is more or less cut off and that news travels slowly to get there, but I think it is likely, unless your Colchester friend has been asleep, that he will have learned of the several reasons why this is not a good idea.
I am now Ibiza, not Mersea ..... So tell me some of those reasons. I have not had any contact with my friend except an e.mail from his neice, telling me that he had mowed my lawn and may not come to Mersea again until this is over

cookijwm

Visit site
I am now Ibiza, not Mersea ..... So tell me some of those reasons. I have not had any contact with my friend except an e.mail from his neice, telling me that he had mowed my lawn and may not come to Mersea again until this is over
Colchester to mersea = travel. Non essential travel not allowed. That’s not essential it’s self indulgent. Easy.

DavidofMersea

Visit site
Colchester to mersea = travel. Non essential travel not allowed. That’s not essential it’s self indulgent. Easy.
He can't row his dinghy (Getting exercise) because he is in Colchester. Traveling in a closed car will not hurt anybody. Just dismissing it by saying "Non essential travel not allowed.", is not thinking, for the thinking man. Furthermore "Non essential travel not allowed." is just advice, not law

Old Harry

Visit site
He can't row his dinghy (Getting exercise) because he is in Colchester. Traveling in a closed car will not hurt anybody. Just dismissing it by saying "Non essential travel not allowed.", is not thinking, for the thinking man. Furthermore "Non essential travel not allowed." is just advice, not law
The advice is to help others , not necessarily ones self , Keep safe David

cookijwm

Visit site
oh dear. I know better. Of course you do. Just because the government is saying don’t travel is only advice because a thinking man knows better.. ye gods , will you never listen . So glad we have people like you to guide us . especially from afar.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
And the latest word from Health Secretary Matt Hancock, according to the news this morning, is that he is considering banning leaving the home for excercise because people are not following the guidelines

Rappey

Visit site
he is considering banning leaving the home for excercise because people are not following the guidelines
This outcome was predictable, you only need to read through threads on this forum to see how many have the attitude that's it's OK to go out.
I look outside now and see quite a lot of people wandering around, drawn by the open space and shoreline.

Old Harry

Visit site
And the latest word from Health Secretary Matt Hancock, according to the news this morning, is that he is considering banning leaving the home for excercise because people are not following the guidelines
It is the predictable " turning the screws", the govenment hadnt the balls to impost what was actually necessary from day 1

Old Harry

Visit site
This outcome was predictable, you only need to read through threads on this forum to see how many have the attitude that's it's OK to go out.
I look outside now and see quite a lot of people wandering around, drawn by the open space and shoreline.
This is taken from legislation.gov.uk, and as we can see there is a long list of reasons why people might be out and about, but the one that interests me is (f) I drive around carrying out support for the community and I see window cleaners, scaffolders, builders, grass cutting teams, lorry delivering cars et etc. None of this can be done from home so according to the legislation it is fine to go out and do. Maybe not needed, but never the less not unlawful.

Pest control is work (no mention of it being paid work) or maybe a voluntary service that cannot be done from home. It is also necessary for the protection of crops, livestock to ensure food production etc. To my mind, more so than cleaning glass or putting up scaffold.

So I think Pest Control is a lawful activity, but morally, that is another matter...

6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.

1), to a vulnerable person, or to provide emergency assistance;

(e)to donate blood;

(f)to travel for the purposes of work or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where it is not reasonably possible for that person to work, or to provide those services, from the place where they are living;

(g)to attend a funeral of—

(i)a member of the person’s household,

(ii)a close family member, or

(iii)if no-one within sub-paragraphs (i) or (ii) are attending, a friend;

(h)to fulfil a legal obligation, including attending court or satisfying bail conditions, or to participate in legal proceedings;

(i)to access critical public services, including—

(i)childcare or educational facilities (where these are still available to a child in relation to whom that person is the parent, or has parental responsibility for, or care of the child);

(ii)social services;

(iii)services provided by the Department of Work and Pensions;

(iv)services provided to victims (such as victims of crime);

(j)in relation to children who do not live in the same household as their parents, or one of their parents, to continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children, and for the purposes of this paragraph, “parent” includes a person who is not a parent of the child, but who has parental responsibility for, or who has care of, the child;

(k)in the case of a minister of religion or worship leader, to go to their place of worship;

(l)to move house where reasonably necessary;

(m)to avoid injury or illness or to escape a risk of harm.

(3) For the purposes of paragraph (1), the place where a person is living includes the premises where they live together with any garden, yard, passage, stair, garage, outhouse or other appurtenance of such premises.

(4) Paragraph (1) does not apply to any person who is homeless.

johnalison

Visit site
It is the predictable " turning the screws", the govenment hadnt the balls to impost what was actually necessary from day 1
They are polititians. They will only do what the country will tolerate, and the amount of negativity reported suggests that their caution was correct. If things turn out badly, will you accuse the Swedish government of pusillanimousness or just the recipients of bad advice?

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk
The INSTRUCTION is: Stay at home. The ONLY reasons for leaving home are: Food, Medical Reasons or work. Which one of
those does going for a row fit into???
Re-read the image you added, it is guidance and does not say medical reasons.
I'd say rowing was a health reason...

No, I do not think he should be driving to his rowing boat, before anyone jumps down my throat.

Of course, this is the big problem with the legislation & guidance
  • On the one side we have so many people saying the message is clear "Stay at home"
  • On the other hand, we have the "Except for..." reasons, which are far from clear or definitive. Far too many perfectly valid 'get out' clauses that can be used to justify nearly anything.
Note, the passage:
(f) to travel for the purposes of work or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where it is not reasonably possible for that person to work, or to provide those services, from the place where they are living;
does not state 'essential work'

And no, I've not been out except for some shopping, walking over to check - not sail - my boat (which takes me around 15 minutes each way) and collecting/delivering some prescriptions for a friend that cannot get out.

Although, is throat-jumping considered exercise?

GlennG

Visit site
Getting to the point of saying enough's enough with this hysteria. Look with envy at the Swedes where they obviously have a government that's capable of standing up to the hysteria without shutting down their economy.

Sick of the sight of that stuffed shirt Matt Hancock and his ridiculous statements and meddling. If I had a parrot I'd call it Hancock. At least a few newspapers would be enough to clear up the mess he drops.

Need to build a wall around the inside of the M25 to keep the Lunduners prisoners and let the rest of us get on with our lives.

Brooksie89

Visit site
I do agree that we need a route out of this now. The latest message being we may have to live with social restrictions for the rest of the year.

Not going to the pub or restaurant for rest of the year is fine by me. Sitting indoors for the entire summer is not a realistic or reasonable prospect for those of us fit and healthy, or who have already had it!

GlennG

Visit site
Would be a breakthrough to simply get to an acceptance that we're not all the same and that most people don't live in London and can behave sensibly. Certainly boat owners can. Same for most second home owners and most older people.

There seems to be this attitude that mummie knows best from the ruling cabal. Waiting for the dictat that we all need to wear facial bras and be permanently tracked with some mobile phone tag.