Allington Lock. Delays to Construction Work. ?

oldgit

Visit site
Closed until June 2021.
Delays due to Winter Flooding.
Notice to Mariners shortly.

At least the weather will be warmer by then.

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Closed until June 2021.
Delays due to Winter Flooding.
Notice to Mariners shortly.

At least the weather will be warmer by then.

Don't let EA Thames know - they'll never get round to opening Cookham Lock! (slipped so far to 19 March 21 - from January 21)

Plum

Visit site
Still no official EA notice to date on this !!!!
Merely this to interpret as one sees fit ?
Roll on the 12th of April and all that glorious HOT weather and Sunshine.
Thanks. As an expert on the Medway, can you help, please. In planning my visit, the three overnight moorings on the non-tidal Medway, listed below, say "Ship to shore plank required". What is the minimum plank length I need? I only have a small boat so stowage is a problem.
  1. Stoneham Lock. 3 sites (approx 10 boats) Timber mooring posts with mooring rings. Ship to shore plank required. Charge - FREE
  2. Sluice Weir Lock. Timber mooring posts with mooring rings. Ship to shore plank required. Charge - FREE
  3. Cannon Lane Bridge, Tonbridge. Timber mooring posts with mooring rings. Ship to shore plank required. Charge - FREE
Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

oldgit

Visit site
Just received the EA notice to mariners,confirming lock closure until June , also link to
PDF giving a good idea of the sheer scale of the work being undertaken.

A method of getting ashore "gracefully" and even more importantly, actually getting back on the boat, can be an asset.
The length of the gang plank depends on just how far the mooring posts are from the river bank.
From memory it can be about a metre or so.
My superbly crafted gang plank :ROFLMAO: is about 3 metres long and the the deck is made from cheap Wickes budget decking.
This has also proved handy on the Thames at Cookham etc.
Most of the moorings allow you to moor right alongside in Town centres or the river bank..

Its just in two or three isolated spots with piles that a gangplank comes in v. useful

A quick heads up, although water is reasonably available, shorepower to top up batteries tends to be few and far between and once above Yalding you will be relying on engines to top up your domestics.
Can certainly assist in getting you an overnight mooring at RCC an ideal spot to stop and pick a time to continue your journey up with the tide.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Spotted the Peel Ports "tug" going upstream yesterday day, hopefully to collect more rubbish out of the river.
River seems to be remarkably clear at the moment, at least in the lower reaches around Cuxton.