Algae on sails

C08

Visit site
My foresail having been left on the boat is bright green with algae but no mould. Strangely my inner foresail is pristine white despite being on the boat for the same period of time. What is the best way I can clean this algae off before storing it over winter?

SimonKNZ

Visit site
My foresail having been left on the boat is bright green with algae but no mould. Strangely my inner foresail is pristine white despite being on the boat for the same period of time. What is the best way I can clean this algae off before storing it over winter?
I spread mine out on the driveway then applied water and laundry stain remover. Leave to soak for a while then scrub with a broom. Didn't get rid of 100% but a whole lot better than it was

RobWard

Visit site
Wet and Forget seems to be the wonder algae killer of choice.

C08

Visit site
Thanks - Patio Magic on order. I will do the sheets which are black, mould I think at the same time.

C08

Visit site
I have mixed the PM @ 4:1 as on the directions and given the sail a light scrubbing all over with it. I note that the product info says that it can take up to 4 days to kill off algae? I have left the sail drying in the garden to see how it goes and then probably another scrubbing tomorrow. I am unsure when I have finished whether to wash off or just leave - any ideas?
Also what can I do to prevent the green creeping back?
Thanks for advice.

C08

Visit site
Now the algae is thinning I can see black which presumably is mould so tomorrow i think some diluted bleach followed by a PM wash off. Poor sail, it has only been out half a dozen times and looks 20 years old!

VicS

Visit site
Now the algae is thinning I can see black which presumably is mould so tomorrow i think some diluted bleach followed by a PM wash off. Poor sail, it has only been out half a dozen times and looks 20 years old!
Be careful with hypochlorite bleach on polyester sail cloth. It can turn the cloth irreversibly yellow. Try a small patch or try an oxy- action bleach such as Vanish

C08

Visit site
Be careful with hypochlorite bleach on polyester sail cloth. It can turn the cloth irreversibly yellow. Try a small patch or try an oxy- action bleach such as Vanish
Thanks for the warning - a hard choice between yellow or black!

SteveIOW

Visit site
Have recently tried using Patio Magic to clean green algae from leach and foot of furling genoa (the UV strip is white). Mixed it at 4 to 1 and applied liberally with brush. Have left it for four days but there has been little or no effect and the green remains. Any ideas please on why it's not working.
Have done the treatment with sail spread out in garage so that it's not diluted by rain or blown away by wind. Garage has window in wall and back door but not as much daylight as outdoors. Don't know if this or temperature is relevant.

RJJ

Visit site
Thanks for the warning - a hard choice between yellow or black!
oxygen bleach - you can buy the powder on eBay for pennies. It's Vanish but cheaper.

I think it's what the sailmaker uses if you ask him to wash your sails. It definitely kills the spores...it might not entirely shift the black stains, but it won't actually harm the sail.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
Have recently tried using Patio Magic to clean green algae from leach and foot of furling genoa (the UV strip is white). Mixed it at 4 to 1 and applied liberally with brush. Have left it for four days but there has been little or no effect and the green remains. Any ideas please on why it's not working.
Have done the treatment with sail spread out in garage so that it's not diluted by rain or blown away by wind. Garage has window in wall and back door but not as much daylight as outdoors. Don't know if this or temperature is relevant.
Not sure if sunlight and temperature have an effect but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that rain does help once the pm has dried.
Also check the concentration of the active ingredient (BAC) in your pm. It is used as a sanitiser and because of CV-19 became almost impossible to get and then very expensive when it did reappear on the market.

It was as per here. I'm unaware of it changing, but...

jwilson

Visit site
I have always understood that bleach definitely damages nylon and makes it go yellow, but does not affect polyester/terylene/dacron other than helping get rid of algae green and black mildew staining. The ingredients in Patio Magic also reduce algae staining but rather slower than bleach.