Alcohol

G

This is an interesting issue. However like many other issues this government has meddled in, their approach is bullish and short sighted. I comment without favour to any party since it appears to be the nature of governments. Within the democratic process the people give governments the authority to take actions on their behalf. We do not give them authority to suppress. In fact the Human Rights Act was initiated to stop such acts.

Surely before deciding on issues which will affect a group of largely law abiding citizens shouldn’t they be gathering all the information and facts they can to support any decisions.

Given the statistics is their response proportional, is it legal, will they be able to account for their decisions and is this action necessary.

I'm not in favour of sailing / boating under the influence of alcohol, but I am against this sort of approach.

Perhaps they see a golden goose, but do they remember how that story ended.

Without prejudice to football or the fans who follow it, shouldn’t it be considered for banning, given the trouble, violence and death associated with it.

Further more perhaps government should be dry. That includes lunch. After all Ministers are supposed to be engaged in important and far-reaching decisions and policy to support this country and its people. Alcohol could influence their performance.

G

Golden Goose

Lets face it, various factors, clearly within the sphere of influence of 'The Government', have largely killed some sectors and suppressed badly other areas of the UK yachting industry. We keep looking longingly at the French equivalent don't we?

Whilst I don't make a habit of reading these, where some of the more enteraining parlimentarians have put pen to paper about their careers, several recount some marvellous tales of seeing colleagues, or being, drunk in charge of a vote!

G

Re: Golden Goose

Well put. The House Of Commons bar is duty free. If you go in the late evening pratically evrybody is plastered.

Our country is governed by drunks. And like all powerful people who enjoy something they wish to stop the peasantry enjoying it too.

The following story which I believe to be apochryphal was going about the fleet after the marriage of our sovereign:

Phillip. Is this what the poor call screwing?

Yes my dear

Much too good for them.

G

Is the claim that they had to keep chucking the brown hatters of Britania apochryphal too Bill?*

G

Voting under the influence

There's a great story about a notorious drunk from the 64-70 Labour government meeting a colleague who had just broken a leg skiing. When the drunk had finished chortling at his colleague's misfortune, the skier flattened him with the retort "In the land of the legless the one-legged man is king."