Ais transmit switch

bluetooth

Visit site
I've got receive and transmit on my AIS. I've heard folks have modified system to allow intention switching off Transmit. Id like to be able to reduce chartpottet clutter, for others at times, so how's this best to do this? Imagine its an on/off toggle. Cheers

vas

Visit site
my garmin AIS600 has it as standard, two wires, shorted transmit is switched off. Depends on your system, maybe it's already there?
I usually turn it off when at homeport

bluetooth

Visit site
When
my garmin AIS600 has it as standard, two wires, shorted transmit is switched off. Depends on your system, maybe it's already there?
I usually turn it off when at homeport

When i turn electrics off at end of day it still transmits as I can see boat on Matine Traffic. Think I'm hard wired to batteries; done before I bought the boat.

vas

Visit site
you can see the boat, but next to it marine traffic mentions last time it picked your signal. Keeps showing it for 24h then it disappears.
Now, this is different from what I gathered was your original Q, as someone may want to have the AIS receive but doesn't want to transmit.
what you now say means you have to check wiring and rewire the ais transceiver to a breaker

Boathook

Visit site
My raymarine ais has 2 wires that can turn off the transmit. I've actually wired a switch in for it etc. If I have the chartplotter on I can also control the ais from that as it is linked together via the raymarine network.

prv

Visit site
As others have said, it's down to your particular AIS unit. Most but not all have a pair of wires in the interface cable for this purpose - you wire any old switch between them and then when the switch is closed the AIS goes into receive-only mode. It's nothing to do with the power connections.

If you'll tell us what AIS you have, some kind person will look up the manual and tell you what to connect.

Pete

david_bagshaw

Visit site
I've got receive and transmit on my AIS. I've heard folks have modified system to allow intention switching off Transmit. Id like to be able to reduce chartpottet clutter, for others at times, so how's this best to do this? Imagine its an on/off toggle. Cheers
There are 2 methods

1 a switch on the appropriate leads , ie the wires have to be joined to turn the transmit off.

2 can be set to off via the ais connect software supplied with your set.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I haven't yet seen an AIS transponder that doesn't have a switch facility to stop it transmitting whilst still receiving AIS signals.
I assumed it was common. My COMAR unit certainly has connections for a switch to stop transmission. It is also wired with a switch for power. I certainly don't leave in on when tied up anywhere and it is really annoying to get lots of alarms near a harbour.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
As others have said, Marine Traffic continues to show your last known position for 24 hours, albeit with a faded icon. My boat 11 hours and 29 minutes ago according to the caption

AEED2C6B-E75C-4216-A285-48C9666DD7B3.png

bluetooth

Visit site
I assumed it was common. My COMAR unit certainly has connections for a switch to stop transmission. It is also wired with a switch for power. I certainly don't leave in on when tied up anywhere and it is really annoying to get lots of alarms near a harbour.
Yep.
So wheres the best place on the electric system to do this? Any pics?
hoping i can do rather than paying a silly for for what should be easy heres!!
Cheers