AIS last known position

Ammonite

Visit site
Just curious...
How long do vesselfinder et al continue to broadcast a yachts last known position? Its just that there seems to be a lot of very forgetful people at the moment who turn off their class B AIS at anchor (presumably to save power) and then fail to switch it back on again when they return to their permanent berth, leaving you with a load of last known positions at anchor the previous day. I wonder if they realise this? ?

Last edited:

Ammonite

Visit site
Has switching off the transponder taken over from taking down the ensign as a sunset ritual?
That's the thing. It doesnt work. If you switch it off when you arrive, vesselfinder still shows you still sat there in the morning! Doesn't take a genius to figure out you are still there

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
The various AIS internet services are very error prone. I registered my MMSI with Marine Traffic some time ago. It currently shows my boat as being near Immingham on the river Humber, a place it has never been to! Obviously someone else has registered an incorrect MMSI, which Marine Traffic thinks is me. There's no cross checking in the system, so incorrect MMSIs aren't trapped. The point is that Apps like Marine Traffic see all sorts of data besides real AIS transmissions, and the "fake" AIS data is not verified in any way.

Ammonite

Visit site
The various AIS internet services are very error prone. I registered my MMSI with Marine Traffic some time ago. It currently shows my boat as being near Immingham on the river Humber, a place it has never been to! Obviously someone else has registered an incorrect MMSI, which Marine Traffic thinks is me. There's no cross checking in the system, so incorrect MMSIs aren't trapped. The point is that Apps like Marine Traffic see all sorts of data besides real AIS transmissions, and the "fake" AIS data is not verified in any way.
Appreciate its not perfect but id put money on the vessels showing on vesselfinder in Newtown Creek this morning, with latest position updates from the previous day and no onward track, had spent the night there. The point being if you dont want people to know where you are you need to switch it off before you leave your home berth not when you get there ?

Last edited:

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site

Found them very helpful when some incorrect photos of my boats appeared:

support@marinetraffic.zendesk.com

Sandy

Visit site
Odd, I thought they took a data feed.

When I bought my present boat the previous owner had transposed two figures and she was showing up as a Swedish vessel, a few emails later with the AIS manufacturer sorted that out.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Odd, I thought they took a data feed.

When I bought my present boat the previous owner had transposed two figures and she was showing up as a Swedish vessel, a few emails later with the AIS manufacturer sorted that out.
They do, but in addition they show users of the app as if it was AIS. People can register using any data they like.

Stemar

Visit site
Appreciate its not perfect but id put money on the vessels showing on vesselfinder in Newtown Creek this morning, with latest position updates from the previous day and no onward track, had spent the night there. The point being if you dont want people to know where you are you need to switch it off before you leave your home berth not when you get there ?
Having seen the number of seriously twisted knickers on here, I could be very tempted to go to NC for lunch and turn the AIS off to come home, just as a wind-up ;)

bobgarrett

Visit site
I had a similar problem with my yacht being shown between Dover and Calais. This happened at random times for a number of years with Marine Traffic being helpful by "removing the incorrect records" but not fixing the problem. They said it was probably someone with the wrong MMSI number of them but there was never a complete track. Then one day my yacht seemed to be moored in a ferry berth at Dover - I suggested to them that I doubted a ferry would have the wrong MMSI. They took one of their data suppliers off and the problem was fixed.
Bottom line, don't reply in Marine Traffic service as I once did so family could check my location.