AIS - Driftnets Keep Clear

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I'm saying what I wrote with my words, not the ones you imagined I wrote. How would you read "It's an admission of responsibility for the visibility of the nets. " and imagine that what I was saying was "it would be better if they take the beacons off and use milk bottles to mark the nets"? Maybe you were just having a bad day yesterday.

You said
It's an admission of responsibility for the visibility of the nets. More importantly, it must add some traceability given that the AIS is registered.

So it must follow that if the beacons were not there he hasn't admitted responsibility for the visibility of the nets and without them there is less traceability.

My guess, he already knows he's responsible for marking the nets. It's fair to assume he has visually marked them, as he's gone to the trouble and expense of fitting beacons. So with the addition of the beacons he has exceeded what most would do.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Just out of interest. Do the boats actually leave the driftnets, or do they let them float about willy nilly? Or are they anchored so do not actually "drift" as such?
I noted the other day that a net was (according to marine traffic) very close to the Clacton anchorage. So if a ship anchored in the line of drift after the tide changed there could be problems. One would have thought that a net should not be allowed to drift unsupervised .

Some years ago I got hooked in a net as I approached the Colne.(tacking) I could not easily see the cork floats & there were no visible end markers. I dragged it a 100 yards. Then , fortunately, it slipped off my keel. But it had formed into a "V" before it went so, presumably, was rendered useless. I did not know what it was until it came off. It did seem a stupid place to stick it right on the Colne approach. Albeit in line & not at right angles.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Did you get to put the bit of string across the shrouds to stop that happening again?
I wrote about it in PBO & collared £ 50 for the idea:D. Now approaching 20 submissions to PBO over the last few years so quite a few £50s(y)
One on the next issue I think
Sam L