AHOY!!

KrisHansen

Visit site
During last weeks jaunt out on the Broads, approaching a new-found friend's vessel at a prearranged rendezvous point, I called out "Ahoy! Whisky 3!!" (this being the name of aformentioned vessel, not a bar order). I was then told by some angler, apparently casting his line to try and catch my vessel, to not be "a twat" and use ridiculuous nautical terminology.

Now, I rather like the word "Ahoy", because it does what it is supposed to do, i.e. carry over long distances and catch attention.

Anyone think it's an outdated expression? Any other terms still in use today that people find iritatingly archaic? Should I limit my shouting to hollering "GIT!" at offending, non-cooperative vessels?

- Kris Hansen

gus

www.whysuffer.co.uk
Could the comment have been made because you were kitted out like the 'boaters' I once saw on an english canal. Hats covered in gold oak leaf, matching blue and white hooped sweaters, lifejackets AND harnesses on, with a fur trimmed steering wheel to keep their delicate hands warm.
Other than that, you just shout what you want to shout.

claymore

Visit site
You are probably just a victim of the age-old conflict of interests between water-users. Fishermen always park in the places we want to use and we disturb their floats, tackle etc. As a canoeist, I've been subjected to years of abuse and threat and the best way of dealing with it is to ignore it completely and not respond at all. Someone on the bank with a catapult and a bucketful of maggots does tend to have the upper hand if you allow the red mist to rise - so just leave them to sit there, playing with their tackle and murdering innocent fish.

B

bob_tyler

Angling is a cruel sport. Foxhunting controls vermin. Discuss!

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Your verbal communication was (a) correct (b) short and (c) to the point.
Did it succeed with your intended recipient?
If so, then perfectly ok in my book.

Anglers are mindless tosspots anyway. What do they know about anything?
Gosh, I've just realised how unfair that is . . .

PS
I do think maybe that "shiver me timbers" and "avast there ye seadogs" may be a little outdated by now.

Toodle pip! old bean

KrisHansen

Visit site
Well, I *was* wearing my Musto inshore jacket (unzipped) over a Guernsey pullover, but that's about it... and further, I don't think the peg-leg, fake weighted parrot and eyepatch should cause anyone any offense. Perhaps my crewmate, sitting similarly attired on the cabin top and playing shanties on the squeezebox did it, by upsetting the fish....?

- Kris Hansen

Bergman

Visit site
Some foxhunters killed a friend of mine's cat in her own garden and then hit her several times with a riding crop when she had the temerity to object.

Obviously a real gentleman.

Not too well disposed to foxhunters here.

G

A couple of years ago I saw a woman fishing on Deal Pier, whilst eating from a large bag of chips which were cradled in her lap. I watched in amazement as she stuck a fishing hook through a big fat lugworm, blood shot out all over her hands and some dripped into the chips. Without even wiping her hands, she carried on stuffing the chips into her mouth.

Funny lot fishermen (and fisherwomen too)

peterb

Visit site
A few years ago (25, to be precise, almost to the day) we were racing, and trying to beat past Clacton Pier against the tide. Several times we almost made it, but then had to tack out again. Three fisherman on the pier didn't like it, and started casting their lines (together with heavy lead weights) straight at the boat. We didn't like it, either, so started the engine, retired from the race, and motored off. But first we tied three lines, complete with hook, line, and sinker, on to our bow. I'm not sure when the anglers realised that the fish they'd just caught was a little too strong for their gear!