Advice plaese - Yeoman plotter chart fixing

NickCharman

Visit site
As in the previous thread, I have said I have just bought, and have started to use a Yeoman.

I think the little plastic clips for the charts seem to me to be rather naff, hard to operate, and unlikely to last.

I also doubt the "hinged perspex cover " solution will work in my case - too awkward.

What are others doing to fix the chart to the mat? - Are steel foldback clips a better solution? Any stainless ones available?

Any clues anyone?

Happy C.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
As said time you locate the chart on to the rubber /plastic sheet under the chart fixed it with the plastic clamps . taken the three positions which have too be recorded on every chart > hit abit of rough sea move the chart on the plastic/rubber sheet under chart re locate your three positions on the chart turn around to talk to your crew , drag your arm over the chart ,have to locate the chart with the three plastic clips reposition the chart reset your location with the the preset location NO WILL EVERYBODY KEEP AWAY IME TRYING TO FIND OUT WHERE THE HELL I AM as said 5/10buy something else

Bob T

G

I have found the supplied plastic clips entirely satisfactory after almost a year's use. The secret is to keep the clips on the plotter mat and to slide the chart into them. This is made easier with the Admiralty Small Craft Folio charts.

My plotter lies on top of the chart table; only the cable is secured. That allows the chart table lid to be opened to access the chart stowage. The chart table fiddles stop the Yeoman from moving too far.

ccscott49

Visit site
I used the plastic sheet, metal clips, works fine. Metal clips are fine, haven't seen any stainless, but you never know! The plastic clips are the ones used for holding socks etc, on retail stands, with the hangers bits broken off, look at them you can see where the hanger bits have been broken off and cleaned up! Completely useless for this purpose!

tonyleigh

Visit site
I use 2" office binder clips (Office World / Staples etc) to hold charts to my chart table. Cheap and easily obtainable. Would these suit the Yeoman?

incognito

N/A
Visit site
Please advise if you have actually owned and used a Yeoman plotter? (Has relevance when you are slagging off).

I have been using mine successfully for about 3 years. Has it's downsides but far less than electronic plotters I have tried.

ccscott49

Visit site
I own one and tend to magree with his comments, but I did get a sheet of plastic from b&q for mine and some office stationary clips, but I must admit I still find plottong by hand and drawing lines etc, on a chart better for me, I do have a chart table and a wheelhouse, the sport, I can see the benefit of in the cockpit etc, but for normal use, I'll stick to plotting by hand and doing courses etc, with parallel rules, douglas protractor etc. The yeoman is still there on my chart table, all plumbed in etc, I show people it when they visit etc.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Yes ive had one for 4 yrs sold the boat and gave it to the new owner .Bought a new boat ,will not even concider, buying a yeoman for it to much messing around time you set it up you could have took your position with pencil and plotter I am not against technologyI have acolour chart plotter now but still like pencil and paper to comfirm postion Cheers Bob t

Bob T

golf

Visit site
My charts go on chart table , Perspex sheet on top held with 4 blobs of blue tac
works great
Yeoman mouse has small piece velcro attached to stop it sliding round.