Advice needed on precautions when using boat throughout Winter

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Disagree.. You should use a bilge pump switch. Three settings, Auto via the float switch, manual to just turn on.... and off.

I disagree with your disagree. What's the use of the "off" position ? Why would one want to disable the bilge pump ?

I know of two cases in the last two years where the bilge pump switch has accidentally been turned off. In one case, a drip from the stern gland led to a substantial amount of water in the bilges. In the other case water was up to the sole boards when the owner returned to the boat.

IMO, the auto bilge pump should be wired direct to the batteries (with a fuse of course) the manual override can just be a switch on the panel. No off switches to get accidentally turned off, if there is a fault the fuse should blow, if the pump was continually running (if the sensor/switch failed, for instance) just pull the fuse.

ashtead

Visit site
Others might know more but I believe all Hanse and their affiliate brands have a direct wired bilge pump. Our Moody certainly does. Might be a question for owners website though.

fredrussell

Visit site
I don't accept that. I have a pair of el-cheapo synthetic duvets, one in each cabin, they weigh far less than the duck and down one at the house and even the 10.5 TOG one is too hot for for most of the time. The 13.5 TOG one in the aft cabin is really hot.

I sort of agree and disagree with that. Down (good quality stuff) gives greater warmth per weight than synthetic, BUT, you shouldn’t be putting ‘high end’ down anywhere near a boat. If it gets wet it will offer no warmth whatsoever, whereas a synthetic coat/duvet/sleeping bag will still keep working when wet.

dunedin

Visit site
Of course, depending where the OP lives relative to the boat, it is possible to enjoy day sails throughout the winter and not worry about being overnight.
We are fortunate to live under 90 minutes from our winter berth, which has no tide constraints. So leave at 0800, there by 0930 and with an efficient system we can be sailing by 1000. Back on pontoon by 1500 after a nice sail, pack up (all ropes left on pontoon and all rope and fender positions premarked with tape) and away before it gets dark, back to a nice warm house and dinner.
We can even sail round a couple of islands and possibly anchor for lunch. Plus I strongly believe the best way to look after the boat systems is to use them regularly.
Very occasionally with a pure blue sky and sun forecast - and consequently clear sky and very cold night - we have gone to a harbour and stayed in a B&B (which her ladyship preferred, though equally could have stayed on board with heating, hot water and shore power).
Almost never have oilskins on when winter sailing, nor reefs, as we choose the good weather days to go sailing (clearly easier for those not tied to weekends).

Paulfireblade

Visit site
Of course, depending where the OP lives relative to the boat, it is possible to enjoy day sails throughout the winter and not worry about being overnight.
We are fortunate to live under 90 minutes from our winter berth, which has no tide constraints. So leave at 0800, there by 0930 and with an efficient system we can be sailing by 1000. Back on pontoon by 1500 after a nice sail, pack up (all ropes left on pontoon and all rope and fender positions premarked with tape) and away before it gets dark, back to a nice warm house and dinner.
We can even sail round a couple of islands and possibly anchor for lunch. Plus I strongly believe the best way to look after the boat systems is to use them regularly.
Very occasionally with a pure blue sky and sun forecast - and consequently clear sky and very cold night - we have gone to a harbour and stayed in a B&B (which her ladyship preferred, though equally could have stayed on board with heating, hot water and shore power).
Almost never have oilskins on when winter sailing, nor reefs, as we choose the good weather days to go sailing (clearly easier for those not tied to weekends).
We are a little further away at two hours but we would both prefer to stay overnight than drive back same day and once down at the boat OH invariably opts for more nights than originally planned but what ever works for you. We often treat ourselves to a meal out and a drink and then retire back to the boat and last week we tested out the heating which I am pleased to say kept us nice and warm.

sailorman

Visit site
As far as your water tanks are concerned, turn the pump off and leave the taps open, just in case it gets exceptionally cold and the water freezes in the taps, although it's pretty unlikely, only had that happen once, about 12 years ago.

We had a particularly cold spell in Shotley last Winter, the pontoons were thick with snow and ice, the car park was so bad i couldn't move my car and the hoses on the pontoons froze. I don't know of anyone that had frost damage onboard, i certainly didn't.
I qlwsys de pressufised the wTer dvery gime i left after s we

sailorman

Visit site
We have kept our boats i the water for many years at Haslar so not the coldest location but a few thoughts to add to views:-
1) assuming you have shorepower buy a dehumidifier -we invested in a new Meaco last year which has a drying facility and it’s best ever idea-liveabords swear by them or the ones at Haslar seem to - we also use crystals in lockers
2) have some small fan heaters plus a larger electric panel or oil heater for when you are on board ;
3)buy a cockpit tent to give protection/place to take off wet gear and dry it ;
4)buy wool duvets
5) get some cheap rugs if you don’t have fitted carpets;
6) check the filter for you diesel heater is ok /clear?
7) instal some insulation below?
8)watch utube videos of those sailing in cold climates eg sailing RAN who have a Najad in Baltic and ice in the marina etc;
9) remember tasks take longer and it’s wise to prepare more to keep any heat below ie not opening hatch all the time;
10 as said water tanks are fine but if you leave boat run pipes dry before leaving;
11) buy a heated set of clothes or jacket like builders have;
12) have an electric blanket to turn on before you go to bed;

We don’t sail that much in winter but do visit for a night on board but tend to avoid Jan and Feb -things can get damp so take home books ,binoculars etc and bring down if you plan a trip out. Bedding needs putting in its storage bags so worth buying these from IKEA etc.
Builders ru ble acks r good cot beddinv sfoage