Advice needed about wood

Visit site
I frequently used iroko about 40 or more years ago but when I tried to buy some recently at the local woodyard I was told that it's no longer available. The nearest they could recommend was I think called something like alfrisi but googling that doesn't turn anything up. I bought some to remake the slats in a garden bench and it's very similar in working and appearance to iroko.

Visit site
What about finding some nice oak ? Its cheap enough for building needs,, you could be really clever and find some naturally curving pieces and make davit like supports?
Be careful with oak. I spent a small fortune buying some to build a pergola about 15 years ago and I might as well have used cheap softwood from B&Q. There's a world of difference between heartwood and sapwood, but this sap didn't know that at the time. The sawmill saw me coming!

ridgy

Visit site
What a coincidence, my wife just the other day bought a hammock off ebay and requested that I make a stand for it.

I did briefly look at my timber collection but decided that a design that could be dismantled would be best as realistically it only needs to be outside for a few weeks per year.
Thus some 4x2 C16 from Wickes and some nice quick drying oak varnish is the easy and cheap way forward.

Hammock Stand Plans | MyOutdoorPlans | Free Woodworking Plans and Projects, DIY Shed, Wooden Playhouse, Pergola, Bbq

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
What a coincidence, my wife just the other day bought a hammock off ebay and requested that I make a stand for it.

I did briefly look at my timber collection but decided that a design that could be dismantled would be best as realistically it only needs to be outside for a few weeks per year.
Thus some 4x2 C16 from Wickes and some nice quick drying oak varnish is the easy and cheap way forward.

Hammock Stand Plans | MyOutdoorPlans | Free Woodworking Plans and Projects, DIY Shed, Wooden Playhouse, Pergola, Bbq
Unfortunately, finding somewhere to store such a thing would pose problems of its own.

Max Campbell

Visit site
What about Larch? Good durability, no coating required, siberian kiln-dried readily available. We've used it for glue-lam beams and cladding on our new-build house, weathers to a nice silver grey.