Advice and recommendations for sailing from Craobh

prv

Visit site
Big ASDA and a Morrisons in Dumbarton, on opposite sides of the road, between two of the Dumbarton railway stations - Central & East. The other option is train to Oban and meet parents there - smaller supermarket, though...

Yes. I originally proposed to meet them in Oban, assuming that they’d be going there to provision. Mum said no, on the grounds that it’s north of Craobh and so would be an unnecessary detour. Instead they want to pick me up at Dumbarton and go to Morrisons or Asda there; I want to go on to Balloch and meet them after they’ve been shopping - the station there is very close to the main road, looks like a nicer place to wait (if the weather is good), and means I don’t have to traipse round the supermarket ;)

We can figure these details out nearer the time, but thanks all for the advice to check on the Rest and Be Thankful pass beforehand.

Pete

Last edited:

ctva

Visit site
Ignore Jumble Duck about poor weather in September. We were swimming (no wetsuits) off the boat at Lussa Bay last September. Just don’t tell everyone as we like it quiet.

steve yates

Visit site
I'm actually making my own way to Glasgow, where my parents will pick me up having taken a leisurely drive up over three days or so, stopping to visit some other places on the way (the joys of being retired ;) ). So from my point of view that's where the car journey starts. We were assuming the south-about route to Craobh - A82-A83-A816, via Lochgilphead - which Google reckons is a bit quicker than north-about via Oban. Does local knowledge say otherwise, perhaps because of campervan traffic?

I'd get the train to either Dumbarton or preferably Balloch to meet them, so they don't have to navigate the city centre to find me (and I don't have to sit in the back of the car quite so long ;) )

Pete
Go via Tyndrum and Oban, its a better road thus quicker than via lochgilphead.

dunedin

Visit site
The equinoxal gales are a few days after prv's little cruise. (y)

We had great sailing weather in both September and October this year. Lots of light winds and glorious sunshine. Whereas it was pouring rain for a lot of July.
Basically the weather will be what it will be, and predicting weather months in advance for any week’s charter is a mug’s game.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
We had great sailing weather in both September and October this year. Lots of light winds and glorious sunshine. Whereas it was pouring rain for a lot of July.
Basically the weather will be what it will be, and predicting weather months in advance for any week’s charter is a mug’s game.

There are some patterns though. Mid May to mid June is usually the best time on the west coast and the most reliable. From there it deteriorates through July to a reliably awful August of 2-3 days of strong south westerlies and rain interspersed by 1 ok day of no wind. September I reckon has about a 50% chance of having 2 great weeks in the first half before deteriorating towards the end of the month. November can be quiet if autumnal anticyclonic gloom sets in - dull, grey cool and quiet, but ok for moving a boat around.

wully1

Visit site
Pop across the Erskine Bridge and take the ferry to Hunter's Quay. It cuts out the RaBT and is gently scenic.

Normally yes but maybe not in the 40+ knots we had today... (I haven’t checked if Western Ferries were running today but they are generally more reliable than good old CalMac when it’s breezy)

Nimrod18

Visit site
Exquisite cruising ground, I’ve been privileged enough to cruise there on 3 separate weeks, usually out of Dunstaffage. Simply because no one has mentioned them, I thought Tayvallich harbour was a little stunner (with a small bar from memory) within a short hop from Croabh. Allen’s Bay north of Oban has a bohemian vibe for a quiet night. Longer range target around the corner from Ardnamurchan is Loch Moidart - very fond memory of swinging on the hook at Castle Tioram, watching sea eagles whilst having a beach bbq. I suddenly feel the need to look back through the photos of those weeks...

bdh198

Visit site
There are some patterns though. Mid May to mid June is usually the best time on the west coast and the most reliable. From there it deteriorates through July to a reliably awful August of 2-3 days of strong south westerlies and rain interspersed by 1 ok day of no wind. September I reckon has about a 50% chance of having 2 great weeks in the first half before deteriorating towards the end of the month. November can be quiet if autumnal anticyclonic gloom sets in - dull, grey cool and quiet, but ok for moving a boat around.

It’s never a good idea to look back at historical weather data, especially when you’ve already booked a holiday, but a quick look at the first week in September over the last five years does suggest a mixed bag... Oban Historical Weather - The last two years have been pretty wet, whereas the proceeding three years had a few days of sun or patchy sun and the rest cloudy and damp. Fingers crossed this year you’ll have more of the sunshine and less of the rain.

Kikitoo

Visit site
Hi, berthing just along from this Ovni, I see charter groups arrive and swiftly depart sometimes. I always wonder about this, after what for many has been a long journey. If you haven't been to Craobh before it's a lovely place in its own right to just relax a little, great walks around with beautiful views and take time familiarise yourself with the boat.

As for travel, ferry tickets for Western Ferries can be bought in advance online and delivered to your home. Having travelled to and from home nr Croabh I made that my preferred route. It's a pretty route and the ferry service is excellent. If you want convenient grocery shopping ypu pass Tescos, M&S and Morrisons at Port Glasgow/Greenock en-route. As someone else said too Co-op in Lochgilphead is large shop. Fantastic fish monger there too where you can stock up on locally caught fish and seafood.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
Going back to Pete's original question, it's impossible to answer in any detail as the whole area is wonderful with plenty of good anchorages.

The only area that I would avoid, not because it's "bad", but because it is a bit boring (IMHO), is Loch Eil and Loch Linnhe north of Corran.

dje67

Visit site
Worth downloading the Antares charts (nominal cost). They cover many fab anchorages around that area in amazing detail. The charts also include some useful pilotage info.