across to france first timers

G

I realisewhat wer are going to do is very small fry but to us its a big adventure. We are a virgo voyager 23', mom, dad and 3 kids. we are cosy but happy. we plan to go from chichester marina to cherbourg in the summer and spend some time cruising. I,m a teacher of behaviourally disturbed boys so i'm used to stress but already i am begining to worry about our trip.
does anyone know of source of info for first timers for such things as marinas anchorages etc etc. thanks

G

The great thing is to enjoy it, which I am sure you will. The thing about 'first times' is that they can only happen once so we must make the most of them.

Your Virgo is on the small side so do pick a period of settled weather and don't hesitate to change your plans in the face of a bad forecast. The crossing is a very straight forward piece of navigation - even more so if you have a GPS set on board. The classic way to cross was an overnight passage arriving off Cherborg just before dawn when lighthouses were clearly visible. In this electronic age, the tendency is to leave as early as necessary to arrive in daylight. From Chichester, you will not want to leave on a flood tide, nor return to a strong ebb, particularly if there is a strong wind in the south.

For marinas and sailing directions when you are over there Tom Cunliffe's Shell Channel Pilot is a useful general reference book. For the Channel Islands and Brittany coast, Peter Cumberlidge's bookm North Brittany and Channel Islands Pilot has, I believe, just been re-published by YAchting Monthly and is excellent(I not quite sure of the timing - give the editorial office a ring on 0207 261 6040.
Yachting Monthly's series of articles, Destinations, gives a lot of very good information about what to expect ashore, as well as afloat, in various harbours along the Normandy and Brittany coast. Again, ring the office to find out what's available and how to get hold of it.

But the best advice is to sail with a good forecast, take it easy, take plenty to occupy the children, and once across, cruise in short hops with plenty of time ashore. If the weather turns and is set nasty when the time comes to return, don't be a hero, take the ferry back - many better sailors than you or I have done so.

G

Thankyou very much. I shall 'phone YM tomorrow and we shall begin planning in earnest. I must admit to being one of lifes worriers and I shall certainly heed your good advice.

Thanks

G

James is right Kirky - you'll probably never get the same sense of satisfaction again as when you arrive after your first Channel crossing. The only thing I would add is instead of visiting the Channel Islands and Brittany , go the other way, You can have a lovely cruise to St. Vaast, Caraentan, and Grandcamp-Maisy and the sailing and navigation are probably less stressful and demanding. Good luck and enjoy.

G

Ask around in the marina/yacht club. Are others going the same weekend, can you sail in company , or meet up with friends ? Their watchful eye may give you more confidence .

G

Are you a member of Chichester Yacht Club? If not go in and speak to someone. There are many Cruises in Company and many many members go across each season. Hamish is right. It's the best way for a first time.

G

If you're THAT worried about it , then don't do it on your own. You're meant to be enjoying yourself.If you can do it as part of a group as Rob said, it should give you confidence to go it alone next time. My first time across the Channel was in a friend's boat, the I took my family a couple of months later. I'm a member of CYC and if I remember right they do a cross Channel cruise every end of May bank holiday week. Might be worth investigating.

G

Re: across to France first timers

In the late '50s I made my first crossing from Langstone to France in an 18'6" Caprice. The forecast was settled but during the night it became foggy. No worry, my total navigation equipment was a fixed ex-RAF grid compass, a hand bearing compass mainly used over an ordinary portable radio which would receive the beacons on long wave and an echo sounder + charts.

It took just over 24 hours! I watched the echo sounder carefully, and when I reached 10 fathoms (what's that in metres) estimated that I was East of the Cherbourg entrance. I turned to the west and motored along the 10 fathom line until I found a navigation buoy (the shore was invisible). When I read the name on the buoy I was horrified to discover that I was West of the entrance, almost opposite the Nuclear Power Station.

There followed a quick about turn then a six hour flog under power (4hp Mercury) and close hauled sail against the spring tide to the Cherbourg entrance.

We spent a few days in Cherbourg and met some charming local people, some of whom I see to this day.

Then round to Barfleur (see this months's YM), a lovely little port if you can dry out. Then back to Cherbourg. A gale then started.

Had to get back to the UK so took the Thoresen ferry back and collected the boat two weeks later. The ferry had trouble docking in Cherbourg as the heaving lines were being blown back by the wind and it had to pull off until tug assistance was available for berthing.

You'll thoroughly enjoy the experience of the first crossing. If I had had GPS then I would have had no problems.

GO FOR IT!

Bob

G

Chaps thnkyou all. We are not members of Chichester Yacht club but we are in the process of joining. Hopefully we will be members by the weekend. We live in the Black country, about as far from the sea as you can get, and so finding a proposer and seconder at CYC could not be done, we are hoping Cyc will sort this out for us. WE will go for it, either on our own or in company. I like the idea of exploring Normandy. Being a history teacher its great for me. Although the kids do get a bit sick of yet another museum.
Thanks again
Kirky

G

You'll find experienced sailors at CYC very helpful and supportive, as indeed I did.

There is a cruise to Cherbourg and St Vaast this bank holiday for a week. But is has to be said that there were 28 boats on it my last count. As James said, it might be best for the "settled" mid summer.

Sure you'll have no problem finding proposers. Phone them and post again if necessary.

Good luck

G

It takes 18-20 hours in a Virgo - I've been taking mine over since 1987. Get an autohelm!

Nicholas Hill

G

What ? Another PRS worker loosing his marbles. We are about to to do the same thing this summer in an Etap 22i. Smaller than your's ! Does one wonder if insanity is catching ? Smaller boat, but shorter crossing.

Seriously, don't worry about the French in Normandy. If they are anything like the Bretons, you will feel embarassed by how kind they are to us Brits.

Mrs Colin H.

G

you're right, nothings as mad as what we see every day. and you're right aboput the french, why we're supposed to dislike them i'll never understand.

G

Last year my husband and I posted a similar message to yours. We also were enquiring for opinions regarding a channel crossing.

As we're based in Brixham, Devon we first of all crossed Lyme Bay to Weymouth (This trip was our longest passage to date and was a good preparation trip for crossing the channel). We set off from Weymouth at about 2.30am on a heading for Cherbourg. The winds were light and we motor sailed for most of the way arriving about 12 hours later. Visibility decreased once through the shipping lanes but we both kept an active watch. Before the trip we plotted a course to steer taking acount of the anticipated tides and on course we plotted our course every hour with validation help from the GPS!

We arrived safely at the entrance to Cherbourg Port and then easily found the marina from the chartlet in the Shell Channel Pilot. Half of the marina is for visiting yachts, we simply tied up alongside a vacant berth and then went to the marina office who told us which berths were available. We then chose the most suitable location. We had arrived! Tired but the best and most satisfying experience.

We were going to move onto the Channel Islands but decided that our trip across was enough experience for one holiday! When we were due to return we watched the weather forecasts posted in the marina and listened to the BBC radio broadcasts. We set off from Cherbourg at approx 6am with a F3/4 forecast. We motored for a short while and then were able to sail at about 6 knots for the remainder of the trip. The wind was actually F 4/5 on the beam (wind against tide made the sea lumpy for a while) and limited visibility down to about half a mile in rain. We did not plan watches being just a husband and wife team. As we had planned that the trip would take approx 18hrs we decided we could easily remain awake and alert for that time. Crossing the shipping lanes is not difficult if approached with care and prudence.

Anyway we arrived back in Brixham tired but thrilled we had done it on our own. I would recommend that you go - on your own (others won't have to wait for you and you won't have to wait for others). Take plenty of flasks of hot drinks, wear lifejackets and clip on in the cockpit or on deck if you have limited crew like we did. (We were always overdressed and kept warm and felt safe the entire trip).

As for the previous response you had - ' if you are that worried then don't go' ignore it! We were worried, a little nervous anticipation makes you check and double check.

Have a great trip!! PS We are hopefully going again this year and in case you wonder what size boat we have, it's a Moody 28.