Access to Marinas during Covid 19 restrictions

Rappey

Visit site
According to the news ,the vast majority are using common sense and listening to the non essential travel rule and staying at home. The empty streets surely confirm that?
But what if everyone decided they are going to travel to walk, exercise etc ?
Maybe then we will only be allowed out with written authorisation ?
Who are more likely to spread the virus, the ones staying at home or the ones going out doing things they don't have to do ?

FlyingGoose

Visit site
According to the news ,the vast majority are using common sense and listening to the non essential travel rule and staying at home. The empty streets surely confirm that?
Who are more likely to spread the virus, the ones staying at home or the ones going out doing things they don't have to do ?
We are going around in circles and coming back to government legislation which states exercise in fine (no time limit) , dog walking is fine(no time limit), shopping is fine, chemists is fine , care workers is fine , if you cannot work form home it is fine
there is no legislation on distance from house nor legislation for car journeys, it is an opinion and as we are in a country of free will we are allowed to voice it , but the rules are clear , people can shout all they like about stay at home, but some have to leave their home for the above reasons, and we do not need the nimbies to constantly tells us we are spreading a virus it is becoming boring , and sad, read the law it is clear this forum is not clear

Boathook

Visit site
I've just come back from a walk down 'roads' and across a common. The roads (well paths along the roads) were much quieter from the pedrestration point of view than the roads. It still amazes me the number of people who drive to go for a walk. I know that there are some areas with fast roads and no footpaths but that doesn't really apply in the village where I live. I should add that I feel relaxed after a 3 + mile walk.

ip485

Visit site
I do wish there were some sanity in this tyoe of discussion.

Lets for one moment just analyse the facts.

Firstly a law hasnt been passed preventing a journey in the car.

Secondly, you present no risk in a car, other than the unlikely event of an RTA, which is a lot less likely than an accident at home - statistically.

Thirdly, if you can park near a typical pontoon, with typical fingers, you expose yourself to no one walking from car to boat for obvious reasons.

Fourthly, in my experience, even in normal times, marinas are pretty quiet at this time of year.

So, stop the melodramatics. Of course we must ensure we dont mix with other people or get too close, and we dont need to make unnecessary journeys, but within reason, a journey for an occasional check is not unreasonable, and far more importantly, places no one at risk.

Skippers especially I hope we all have brains, and are intelligent, can use common sense and reasonable judgment, and place no one at risk, whilst understanding the advice given by the Government and why it is framed in the way it has been.

Just my view, you may disagree, but there it is.

D

Deleted member 36384

I do wish there were some sanity in this tyoe of discussion.

Lets for one moment just analyse the facts.

Firstly a law hasnt been passed preventing a journey in the car.

Secondly, you present no risk in a car, other than the unlikely event of an RTA, which is a lot less likely than an accident at home - statistically.

Thirdly, if you can park near a typical pontoon, with typical fingers, you expose yourself to no one walking from car to boat for obvious reasons.

Fourthly, in my experience, even in normal times, marinas are pretty quiet at this time of year.

So, stop the melodramatics. Of course we must ensure we dont mix with other people or get too close, and we dont need to make unnecessary journeys, but within reason, a journey for an occasional check is not unreasonable, and far more importantly, places no one at risk.

Skippers especially I hope we all have brains, and are intelligent, can use common sense and reasonable judgment, and place no one at risk, whilst understanding the advice given by the Government and why it is framed in the way it has been.

Just my view, you may disagree, but there it is.

I think your view is based on a pre virus world. In the virus world everyone heads to the marina because they are not working. Of course, following your logic they are all clever and will not catch and spread the virus.

GTom

Visit site
I think your view is based on a pre virus world. In the virus world everyone heads to the marina because they are not working. Of course, following your logic they are all clever and will not catch and spread the virus.

Most boat owners I know are retired, some have already been working from home. Still, you may be right, large marinas could see a substantial increase. Shore facilities as infection hubs are a problem too.

ip485

Visit site

Perhaps.

However I find most owners intelligent and responsible people. If anything they are (rightly) obsessed with social distancing. Typical pontoons provide a perfect way to keep your distance - they are short so you can see someone coming, and they have fingers, so you can walk down a finger while they pass. Once on a boat, you are more than safely socially distanced. Nearly everyone drives to a marina and there is plenty of space and room, often with parking very close to pontoon access.

I believe it is terrribly important that we use our common sense as well as totally respecting our Governement's recommendations. They want people to stay safe and apart. Getting to most boats in my experience is far safer than walking along a typical promenade - I live by the sea, which yesterday was packed because too many people feel they cant get into their cars and drive to the country (or go to their boats) which would be far safer and enable them to keep far greater gaps between themselves and others. Doubtless all the people walking along the prom thought they were doing the "right thing" - personally I would have gone no where near it, and to do so would have been contrary to exactly what the Government is seeking to achieve.

FWIW I can also recount the young police office who got within a couple of feet of an elederly lady's open windon for over 15 minutes telling her it was against the law to park on the Downs. She had no intention of getting out of her car - she couldnt walk, but badly needed to get out the house - bless her. She was no risk to herself, or, anyone else, and she was looking after her mental health. It ended up with her being put seriously at risk by the police officer - who I fully appreciate thought she was doing her job, because she had been told that is what she should do, as was my daughter who parked in a country lane, to have two people cross the road, come up to her and tell her she shouldnt be using the car to take a walk, and then, while walking, left a note on her screen which presumably they had touched!

"Of course, following your logic they are all clever and will not catch and spread the virus."

With respect I wish we could avoid sound bites. You may have a point, but I think we all have to justify our comments and explain why, I hope in the way I have, you are going to create less social distancing going to your boat, than walking along a crowded promenade, passing people frequently on the pavement becasue they are narrow, or all the other effects of constraining people into limited amounts of space. Strangely, perhaps, it is about being clever, it is understanding the intention behind social distancing, and each in our own community, using that knowledge to ensure we keep as much distance between ourselves and others and I am just offering up even in normal times (and I mean a busy weekend on a sunny day) I pass or get any where near far fewer people in my marina that I do walking along a promenade (in normal times), never mind now. Of course it could just be my experience.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Weekend caravan dwellers can be compared to boat owners in many ways. We live just off the coastal road from Abergele to Rhyl, at the end of our road is a small Co-Op store frequented at the moment by local residents. Starting a mile or two down the road there are lots of caravan parks, most likely a couple of thousand caravans used 9/12. In summer, the main road area is full of the shell suit and tattoo brigade and the Co-Op store is packed out.

At the moment, the local area is virus free and those of us who live in coastal towns or in the countryside, don't want visitors arriving from large towns and cities where the virus is already established. OTOH, I suppose I would be annoyed if my boat was within easy walking distance from home and I couldn't access it but, a line has to be drawn somewhere to protect the majority from the minority of idiots.

Caladh

Visit site
We are going around in circles and coming back to government legislation which states exercise in fine (no time limit) , dog walking is fine(no time limit), shopping is fine, chemists is fine , care workers is fine , if you cannot work form home it is fine
there is no legislation on distance from house nor legislation for car journeys, it is an opinion and as we are in a country of free will we are allowed to voice it , but the rules are clear , people can shout all they like about stay at home, but some have to leave their home for the above reasons, and we do not need the nimbies to constantly tells us we are spreading a virus it is becoming boring , and sad, read the law it is clear this forum is not clear
You seem very wedded to the written law rather than the guidance ALSO given by the government. ie. don’t go out for more than 30 mins stay local don‘t drive unnecessarily etc etc I’ve said it before - it’s not all about you.

ip485

Visit site
Graham376 - but still we must wonder if people are better bottled up in conjested areas where it is very difficult to socially distance, or to have more room which makes it much easier. After all we are a community (I think) and if the key is to keep us apart, then surely we need to think about how we do that better, dont we?

ip485

Visit site
You seem very wedded to the written law rather than the guidance ALSO given by the government. ie. don’t go out for more than 30 mins stay local don‘t drive unnecessarily etc etc I’ve said it before - it’s not all about you.

Two points - it should neither be about written law or Government adivce surely - it should be about social distancing, what we see with our own eyes and what works! Hence my point that Government recommendations are walk from your house to the promenade (which hords of people followed yesterday) and you will literally have a job not to bump into someone!

Second point - Lord Sumption (Google) is well worth a listen as to why the Law in a democracy is so important. In my view none of us should forget this. To do so is one step away from something far worse, and, equally so that politican's should try to convince us something is law - when it is not. We are intelligent people - if it is a strong recommendation say so, and if the evidence is you should start apply some common sense - have enough trust in enough people to tell them so. If not then I guess we are becoming just a little but more like Chinese politics.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
No its not it is about the law , not the guidelines , and no mention of 30 mins this was a Gove gaff , Lancashire Police 123 fines, Met police biggest in UK no fines , the law needs to be the same in the whole country or the guidelines will be made a mockery of , and why is it all about me , because I disagree with your opinion , seems odd on a forum were opinions are constantly challenged, I follow the law so what is your point I do not understand
Just to be clear if I have not but I am sure I have , but people tend to read to fast and not pick up the finer detail in my posts
1. Self isolating now 19 days
2. All family in Risk category
3. Wife probably has had it awaiting the rest to be infected
4. I am disabled and a disabled activist, when the guidelines were put out they neglected this large part of the population hence why it is a guideline
5. I drive my car as I am disabled to walk my dogs ( I have no need for opinions on here regrading my disability and driving and walking take it up with my Neurologist,)
6. most of my arguments is point of law not public opinion nor forum opinion, when we need the law to work in our favour I wonder will you complain , but when it does not agree with you you belittle myself commenting on the law
7. I do not personally , feel that driving distances to get anywhere is in the spirit of the law but it is only an opinion I respect the meaning of the guidelines, but if I choose to travel and get fined I would take it to court for a Judge to decide, this is a government mishap

Hope this has cleared up some issues that people think its all about me me me , well one day if you ever find yourself foul of the police you will be glad for that solicitor who knows the law and who might stop you getting into trouble

ip485

Visit site
7. I do not personally , feel that driving distances to get anywhere is in the spirit of the law but it is only an opinion I respect the meaning of the guidelines, but if I choose to travel and get fined I would take it to court for a Judge to decide, this is a government mishap

I for one whole heartedly support you. You drive to a suitable and safe spot to get out the house and safely excercise or just sit and enjoy some time outisde.

You are not breaking the law - and perhaps more within the spirit of the Government's recommendation - I hope so. For a moment of light hearted humour, I wonder how many of us follow the Government's recommendations with regard to the amound of alcohol we should drink (and I do mean that tongue in cheek and am NOT making a serious comparison)!!!

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Graham376 - but still we must wonder if people are better bottled up in conjested areas where it is very difficult to socially distance, or to have more room which makes it much easier. After all we are a community (I think) and if the key is to keep us apart, then surely we need to think about how we do that better, dont we?

Attitudes will to some extent depend on where one lives. We only spent a week in the apartment before flying home and I was going crazy being locked down whereas at home with a very small garden and workshop/garage, life is much better. We're shopping (one day/week) for next door neighbours and another aged friend and also have social contact with close neighbours by standing in the gardens and road, a long way apart. No-one visits houses or stands close any longer, even food drop-offs on door steps are done without touching.

We're certainly safer here (so far) than in towns and cities with people using public transport to/from work and want to keep it that way. If that sounds selfish then tough but I'm sure those living in the Peak and Lake districts and Devon & Cornwall feel exactly the same. We don't want a lock-down like Eyam had in 1600s, just a bit more thought about how one's actions can affect/infect others when things go wrong.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
We just spent a plesant day in the Sunshine in Kinsale, putting Halyards and Sails back on with a view to self isolating on the water next week. I arrived home to hear on the News that we have just implemented more stringent restrictions with no travel beyond 2 Km from home and beyond that only for "Essential Work " and to purchase food. It might be difficult to get to the Marina next week which is a 25Km drive . I'm just wondering whats actually happening at present in the UK regarding Marina Access. Are club Marinas still open for members to access boats and take them out for a trip if they want to? I think that Racing and Clubhouses are closed same as here . What's the general approach regarding access to marinas?
Kinsale 373
Here's an update re N.I.
Carrickfergus Marina on Belfast Lough & Smaller Antrim Coast Harbours Close

Last edited: