AC75 Tacking

• Thread starter Deleted member 36384
  • Start date

dunedin

Visit site
They certainly look much more manouvreable than the catamarans.

Have you watched the match racing in foiling cats. Very manoeuvrable. And don’t forget the AC foiling cats were at the very early stage of big foiling development, light years ago in development terms, and constrained by the rules of that series of boats.
Lead ballasted monohull foilers is a bonkers dead-end, IMHO, compared to foil catamarans,

flaming

Visit site
Have you watched the match racing in foiling cats. Very manoeuvrable. And don’t forget the AC foiling cats were at the very early stage of big foiling development, light years ago in development terms, and constrained by the rules of that series of boats.
Maybe... But the one thing the new boats seem to have in their favour, from a racing spectacle point of view, seems to be that the penalty for tacking is considerably less than it was in the cats. So there is a small chance we will see some tactics other than bouncing off the boundaries...
Lead ballasted monohull foilers is a bonkers dead-end, IMHO, compared to foil catamarans,
Completely agree for normal racing. I'm starting, just starting, to think they might make for a reasonable cup spectacle though....

dunedin

Visit site
Completely agree for normal racing. I'm starting, just starting, to think they might make for a reasonable cup spectacle though....

Mmmm. We will see. I suspect they are so untested we will discover the speeds are so un-matched that many of the races are one sided processions from the start. We just don’t know which boats / teams will be the stars and which the slugs.

And I am very concerned about the safety implications of any close passes with these lifted foils sticking out to windward, like the sword blades on Boudicca’s chariot wheels (except arguably more lethal).
I hope nobody gets seriously injured or killed (remember previous AC generations have cost at least one life).
I would not be surprised if mid way through some extra rule gets added setting minimum pass distances, like Superyacht racing now has.

Reactions: RJJ

flaming

Visit site
Mmmm. We will see. I suspect they are so untested we will discover the speeds are so un-matched that many of the races are one sided processions from the start. We just don’t know which boats / teams will be the stars and which the slugs.

And I am very concerned about the safety implications of any close passes with these lifted foils sticking out to windward, like the sword blades on Boudicca’s chariot wheels (except arguably more lethal).
I hope nobody gets seriously injured or killed (remember previous AC generations have cost at least one life).
I would not be surprised if mid way through some extra rule gets added setting minimum pass distances, like Superyacht racing now has.
Agree with the concerns. Still finding myself a lot more excited to see the racing start in about 10 days than I was expecting...

scruff

Visit site
Sail trim looks quite easy on these; sails hard in on in ether port or starboard with little variation.

I'm hoping it will be interesting with some nice, tight racing but not holding out much hope. Can't imagine it will be as enjoyable as watching the the World Match Racing Tour events broadcast on Facebook

Cariadco

Visit site

Boudica or Boudicca ???

ditchcrawler

Visit site
In the catamarans for the last Americas cup I was amazed to see that in the details of the wind angles the difference in the downwind sail angle compared to the upwind angle was 4 or 5 degrees. I presume that because of their speed the apparent wind was always forward and really they were always beating as we would know it.

Birdseye

Visit site
They are a bit like F1 cars. Interesting to watch round a track and technically interesting too, but totally irrelevant to real world life.