AC.....why bowsprit?

Dino

Visit site
There was plans to use Code Zero’s downwind but I guess the apparent wind is so far forward at 45 knots they are useless and would just flog.

Bobc

Visit site
They have a Code 0, but never use it. I think they found out that it adds too much drag.

They have instruments and cameras on it too though

flaming

Visit site
The initial plan was indeed to have code zeros to use downwind in the light. However they have since shown that there are 2 major problems with this, one is that the drag of the sail once foiling was huge, and the other is that changing sail was far too costly in practice. So the only real use for them was, in theory, going to be in 6.5-7.65 ish knots of wind when foiling was not possible with the largest jib, and it needed to be cut in such a way to work upwind and down.
But once the wind was up, above that very narrow wind range and you could take off under your jib, you'd be a lot faster as you have less drag.
So you'd be making the call, at least 10 min out from the start of the race that the wind was going to be above the lower wind limit, but not enough to get you up on your foils with a jib.

And then they found that it wasn't actually any easier to get foiling with one anyway...

TNZ have tested one quite a bit, so maybe they'll bring it out in the cup, but I'd be surprised.