AC boat, what went wrong here?

bedouin

Visit site
Be that as it may, I find the foilers completely fascinating, in a technological sense. Not sure though, how soon the technology will trickle down to the average cruising boat with it's apparent potential for Max jet worthy software failure.
Fascinating from the sailing perspective maybe but hardly from the match racing side. From the little I have seen of this series it is even less interesting than the last. No real concept of match racing at all.

savageseadog

Visit site
The skipper appears to bear off.......possibly, it could have been a wrong move, or did the rudder(s?) let go?

garvellachs

Visit site
Looking at the 30th Dec video, it looks to me that the starboard foil shape is completely different to the port one, and I don't think I've seen that shape before on the stbd side? Are they going back or trialing something new?

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Be that as it may, I find the foilers completely fascinating, in a technological sense. Not sure though, how soon the technology will trickle down to the average cruising boat with it's apparent potential for Max jet worthy software failure.

There are a few foiling kiteboards around here giving their riders a hell of a buzz.

If I was 55 years younger...........................................

And, real science fiction stuff, working jet packs. Amazing!

Technology never stops evolving, does it.

But sometimes the evolving, as in the case of the AC, is of dubious advantage off of the racetrack.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
But sometimes the evolving, as in the case of the AC, is of dubious advantage off of the racetrack.

I don't really have a view with the 'new' AC , as long as people enjoy it for their own reasons. Like Laminar Flow, I
am enjoying all the technology involved and seeing how they overcome the challenges.

The Concorde and Hovercraft unfortunately under achieved after starting with great promise and agree
that foiling for the rest of us seems unlikely.