Absolute 52 Cruiser vs Trawler

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Ok, but my questions about voltage were meant to help. Sorry you see it differently. Comparing it with buying a car, would you buy a left hand drive to use in the U.K. I don’t think so.

I wasnt referring to your advice.

It was the last couple of comments questioning if i was "for real".

Like i was full of BS or some kind of troll

I dont like people insinuating im a liar, especially people who know nothing about me. Its insulting

But all your advice has been extremely helpful and im reevaluating buying in the USA now.

Thank you (y)

Bajansailor

Visit site
I came here with a few questions......
And folk on here offer you honest answers, based on hard won experience - yet you invariably ignore good advice and say that you are going to do it your way anyway.

When I buy a car I'm only interested in how its looks, performs and its features. I have no idea how it works and it it breaks I get someone to fix it.

This is all well and good - if you break down on the motorway you can get the AA to come and fix your car fairly quickly.
It is a different story when you break down 100 miles from land.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
This is all well and good - if you break down on the motorway you can get the AA to come and fix your car fairly quickly.
It is a different story when you break down 100 miles from land.

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda :rolleyes:

Ive seen people on YouTube who buy a boat for £10k then sail it across the atlantic.

Surely boating is meant to be an adventure. Not a safe weekend trainspotting

And i'll have a BoatUS membership that gives me unlimited towing so i will have the AA (kind of) (y)

pumpsmynads

Visit site

Ive seen people on YouTube who buy a boat for £10k then sail it across the atlantic.

And i'll have a BoatUS membership that gives me unlimited towing so i will have the AA (kind of) (y)

I‘d check the small print of your BoatUS membership.
“An UNLIMITED SERVICE AREA is defined as at least 50 coastal miles (25 miles in any direction from a Licensed Company’s port). Extended UNLIMITED SERVICE AREAS, 30 miles or more offshore, are available in many locations and can be found online at BoatUS.com/towing...”

Going back to your boat choice. I love the Navetta and believe you can have it with the crew cabin already converted to storage.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
I‘d check the small print of your BoatUS membership.
“An UNLIMITED SERVICE AREA is defined as at least 50 coastal miles (25 miles in any direction from a Licensed Company’s port). Extended UNLIMITED SERVICE AREAS, 30 miles or more offshore, are available in many locations and can be found online at BoatUS.com/towing...”

Going back to your boat choice. I love the Navetta and believe you can have it with the crew cabin already converted to storage.

I will check all the small print

The Navetta ive seen is already fitting with the crew bed so i have to pay for that section to be changed into lockers during the commissioning stage. I want to put the washer/dryer, extra freezer and storage for tools, vacumm cleaner, mops, hoses etc

the one minor thing i dont like about the Navetta is the pocket doors on all the cabins and heads. They remind me of a horrible caravan we used to stay in when i was a child :cool:

Seastoke

Visit site

I am only jealous.

Portofino

Visit site
I don’t think buying a std US spec small production boat made in the EU for the US market is going to be suitable to bring back to the Med due to the mismatch of the shore power electrics and appliances .
The cost ( if it’s possible ? ) and hassle factor and future residual value + EU taxes on i make it a daft thing to do .

Super yachts are built with both systems or even more .Incomparable.

Your £10 K sale round the guy has not Aircon , hot grill , ice maker , dishwasher etc or maybe zero AC .
What AC he has , he’s been to Walmart on arrival to the electrical section and basically is a bodger .
I say badger in a complimentary way as thats how he does it .Without a water maker he re fills up bottles , collects dew on poly sheets etc , catches his own fish ...eats the eyes raw etc etc .
Thats a million miles away from your proposed Navetta 52 experience.
As is the super yacht , with a engineer , shore side manager / fixer etc .

You will spend £40 K to bring it to the Med .
£20-30 K to make it EU compatible I mean properly.
VAT ....so add 20 % .Buy 1.3 M , 12 months later it’s worth 1M then kiss another 200 ( pick your currency it does not matter imho )
Another 200 K blown .

When you come to offload if ...your first boat is “never the one “BTW , Brokers and buyer s will run a mile because it’s not or was a proper EU specced boat .

Again those u tubers that cross the pond do it with unsophisticated boats , or as I said raid the local DIY store and make do .
Its not OEM .

Your I pad analogy....is false because you don’t use the same charger in both sides of the pond .....that’s a £5 fix and my point .

I have chargers for Switzerland, Italy and U.K. .......all different btw .
And if I moved across to the US I would have to buy a 4 rh !
Not sure I would by 3 ice makers for a boat thought! :)

As far as the Fred Dibnah quip .....prevention is better than a cure 50;% of boat breakdowns are due to careless ness by the owners .Engineers are busy in the season .
Its not a money thing .....most on here end up slipping down the slippery DIY slope because of time lags getting a fix .

Ideally you need to be handy with 12/24 v electrics , spanner’s for simple engine service.

You can t hide behind the warranty with blocked fuel filters , water in the fuel , blocked water intakes , weak dead batteries,
You need to able to wire up bilge pumps and there senders , change bulbs ...you nav lights , deal with seacocks .

With your IPS the local island mechanic, or river will be lost with the gobblegook ...That’s a Volvo Penta closed shop dealer only .
Nobody stocks parts so its a wait for them to arrive .

Good luck you are gonna need it and doing it your way is gonna bleed you of cash ......at a huge rate over and above the traditional haemorrhage rate ....most of us seem to manage .:unsure:

Bouba

Visit site
Shane talked about his next boat being a factory fresh sixty footer. If he chose an Absolute, I’m sure they would give him a good trade in for the Navetta even with the American market modifications

Portofino

Visit site
Shane talked about his next boat being a factory fresh sixty footer. If he chose an Absolute, I’m sure they would give him a good trade in for the Navetta even with the American market modifications
Nah !
What with a long lead time ?
Of course it’s the difference to change .....The Abs dealer in the Cote d Azur does not do stock boats .
He will sell his build slots and Cannes stock boats to the guy who turns up with the most cash .
Theres no need for him.

It’s not quite like having to out for Lunch with Mario Amarti so he could decide if he wanted to build you a boat .
Ending with the builder say “ I,ll be in touch “ .

When demand exceeds supply the dealer/ builder holds the whip hand and they get picky .

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Nah !
What with a long lead time ?
Of course it’s the difference to change .....The Abs dealer in the Cote d Azur does not do stock boats .
He will sell his build slots and Cannes stock boats to the guy who turns up with the most cash .
Theres no need for him.

It’s not quite like having to out for Lunch with Mario Amarti so he could decide if he wanted to build you a boat .
Ending with the builder say “ I,ll be in touch “ .

When demand exceeds supply the dealer/ builder holds the whip hand and they get picky .

I doubt i'll be going to the USA this year with the way things are.

I was planning to go to Cannes next month to look at the new Navetta 64 and see if i can do a deal directly with Absolute.

But with the new 14 day quarantine coming in today. Not sure its worth the hassle. They might even cancel Cannes at this rate ?

So buying a Navetta 52 in Europe might be my only option if i want to get on the water this year. And from what youve all been saying i'll be better off doing that anyway

Portofino

Visit site

I was planning to go to Cannes next month to look at the new Navetta 64 and see if i can do a deal directly with Absolute.

But with the new 14 day quarantine coming in today. Not sure its worth the hassle. They might even cancel Cannes at this rate ?

So buying a Navetta 52 in Europe might be my only option if i want to get on the water this year. And from what youve all been saying i'll be better off doing that anyway
The most sensible post thus far (y)
They do it all through dealers though .
Farther + son team ....both nice guys .There berths are near ( one next door ) to mine @ La Napoule.
Jermery is the son who speaks Eng .

Vente Bateau neufs occasions, Concessionnaire ABSOLUTE YACHTS Mandelieu Cannes

Bajansailor

Visit site
Shane, just ask Porto to take you on a demo cruise on his Itama, and you will quickly change your mind away from Navettas and realise that an Itama is the ONLY way to go. :D

Until of course you next new favourite comes along...
In other words, be cautious, take your time, do your homework, try to get out on as many different types of boats as possible (even an Itama) so that you can compare and contrast them. You might well find that something else ticks more boxes than a Navetta. :)

Bouba

Visit site

Absolute have already offered me a ticket to Cannes. Give me the three million and I’ll buy it for you

Portofino

Visit site
Shane, just ask Porto to take you on a demo cruise on his Itama, and you will quickly change your mind away from Navettas and realise that an Itama is the ONLY way to go. :D

Until of course you next new favourite comes along...
In other words, be cautious, take your time, do your homework, try to get out on as many different types of boats as possible (even an Itama) so that you can compare and contrast them. You might well find that something else ticks more boxes than a Navetta. :)
Needs to be choppy and he needs to be accompanied with those he proposes ( if any ) to share his cruising with .

They all look great at shows .
Cannes and Genoa are wet shows though ....meaning they do punter trips in the bay .

When it’s windy ....it sorts the wheat from the chaff .OTAM , Magnum , Itama , Pershing , Baglietto ( 15 M ) + a few more and few big Sacs type ribs go out .

This is where the car analogy actually works with boats .Normally it falls dreadfully short .
Once in the 90 s rocked up a Ferrari dealer for a then current 348 .Looked the dogs wedding tackle .... Still does .
I arrived in a clapped out , thrashed out well abused by me air cooled 911 .

Wanted one .
They opened the show room and rearranged the stock to get this out ...it was furthest from the opening .
Started to rain so 5 cars got wet inc this 348 .
Damp + salt laden roads ( mid Feb in Yorkshire ) off we went .
First roundabout i thought it’s a bit heavy, steerings a bit dead .
Maybe it needs a bit more throttle ? .All that did is push the nose wider - understeer.
Anyhow 40 mins later I realised it was a dead duck to drive .....sure looked the part .

I just honestly told them , thanked them and immediately I jumped in my 911 ..it talked to me at the same roundabout as I whipped round in the wet holding on the throttle position feeling exactly what each front wheels was doing .

Well that bubble was well and truly pricked .

TBO Shane you should not buy a boat or car blind based on pretty pictures .Banjosailor is right .

Chris H

Visit site
Needs to be choppy and he needs to be accompanied with those he proposes ( if any ) to share his cruising with .

They all look great at shows .
Cannes and Genoa are wet shows though ....meaning they do punter trips in the bay .

When it’s windy ....it sorts the wheat from the chaff .OTAM , Magnum , Itama , Pershing , Baglietto ( 15 M ) + a few more and few big Sacs type ribs go out .

This is where the car analogy actually works with boats .Normally it falls dreadfully short .
Once in the 90 s rocked up a Ferrari dealer for a then current 348 .Looked the dogs wedding tackle .... Still does .
I arrived in a clapped out , thrashed out well abused by me air cooled 911 .

Wanted one .
They opened the show room and rearranged the stock to get this out ...it was furthest from the opening .
Started to rain so 5 cars got wet inc this 348 .
Damp + salt laden roads ( mid Feb in Yorkshire ) off we went .
First roundabout i thought it’s a bit heavy, steerings a bit dead .
Maybe it needs a bit more throttle ? .All that did is push the nose wider - understeer.
Anyhow 40 mins later I realised it was a dead duck to drive .....sure looked the part .

I just honestly told them , thanked them and immediately I jumped in my 911 ..it talked to me at the same roundabout as I whipped round in the wet holding on the throttle position feeling exactly what each front wheels was doing .

Well that bubble was well and truly pricked .

TBO Shane you should not buy a boat or car blind based on pretty pictures .Banjosailor is right .
I bought my boat without ever going out to sea in any boat, had an idea what I, and more importantly, wifey wanted and then phoned around and waited for the right deal on the, to me, right boat.........oh and 348’s always were sheit.