Absolute 52 Cruiser vs Trawler

Portofino

Visit site
I don't think they ever installed the 1100 V10 CRM engine on the 52, and neither the 1000hp which was a much older mechanical V12.
They did install the semi-electronic 1050 V10, an engine I'd rather run than walk away from.

That said, by and large I agree that the P52 could use more power. But the problem is rather in the Arnies than in the boat,
The P52 hull was considered one of their best back in the 90s, when they only used shafts, with the 680hp V8 first, and the 800hp later (essentially the same engine back then, built till 2004, which both myself and Chris have in our boats.
And in THAT setup, even the 680hp was more than good enough.

But later on, punters began to feel attracted by the rooster tail, and the rest is history...
They bumped up the horses with the 54 to par for the course .
JO JO MANI-54 | Sunseeker France

Cyclops Rooster

Visit site
If I may challenge your train of thought - and I promise it'll be the last time - why aim at learning what is easier, rather than what is harder and unfamiliar?
A half decent skipper can teach you in much less than a month how to helm any boat with traditional controls.
Which is something you'd better learn anyway, because it's not a matter of IF the joystick will pack up, just of WHEN.
And since IPS boats do not have any thrusters, because they rely entirely on the joystick-driven independent pods steering, when the joystick does fail, you'd better know how to control the boat without it, and with no thrusters at all.

But the good news is that this is very far from being rocket science.
In sharp contrast with what IPS boat sellers can tell you, putting a twin engine boat on shafts + bow (and possibly also stern) thruster where you want is as easy if not even easier than with IPS boats.
And with much less chances to find yourself stuck with no control half way during the maneuver.
Truth is, what the joystick does is NOT make the boat more maneuverable or easier to control.
Just more intuitive/instictive, nothing else.
The Navetta 52 does have a bow thruster. However well taken. Better to learn to pilot and dock the boat without the joystick because you will have to do it at some point. Joystick is an added luxury that you cannot rely on.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
The Navetta 52 does have a bow thruster. However well taken. Better to learn to pilot and dock the boat without the joystick because you will have to do it at some point. Joystick is an added luxury that you cannot rely on.

I agree everyone should learn how to handle a boat using all tools but i personally prefer to use what make my life easier.

Im very tech minded so the more technology the better.

Absolute are now giving the option to install the Volvo Penta Assisted Docking System which looks great (y)

Bouba

Visit site
I agree everyone should learn how to handle a boat using all tools but i personally prefer to use what make my life easier.

Im very tech minded so the more technology the better.

Absolute are now giving the option to install the Volvo Penta Assisted Docking System which looks great (y)

I agree. I remember people telling me not to get electric windows in a car for exactly the same reason

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
I don't think they ever installed the 1100 V10 CRM engine on the 52, and neither the 1000hp which was a much older mechanical V12.
They did install the semi-electronic 1050 V10, an engine I'd rather run than walk away from.

That said, by and large I agree that the P52 could use more power. But the problem is rather in the Arnies than in the boat,
The P52 hull was considered one of their best back in the 90s, when they only used shafts, with the 680hp V8 first, and the 800hp later (essentially the same engine back then, built till 2004, which both myself and Chris have in our boats.
And in THAT setup, even the 680hp was more than good enough.

But later on, punters began to feel attracted by the rooster tail, and the rest is history...

Mapis you are mistaking the old Pershing 52 (end 80s early 90s) with the newer one 52 (2000 to 2004). The boats have nothing to do with each other.
Yes the 2000s 52 second generation has one of Pershing's best hulls, even better to the 54 according to many, though the 54 having central engines possibly goes better in the lower speed range.
The new 52 was only available with Arnesons and powered by standard Man 800hp 8 cylinder or the 1050hp Man 10 cylinder both in the mechanical format.
It did 40/41 knots with the standard (tried and tested), and 45 with the option. It ran good with both but as any surface drive boat it did better with the bigger engine.