A tour of marinas in Spain - where do you suggest I go?

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
We are currently in Burriananova marina. It's ok, but being a working town it's a bit too quiet for us. We are planning to move the boat to El Portet de Dénia in Feb/Mar (depending on the covid situation). It's almost 3 times the price of Burriananova but we love the town, the marina is right in the thick of it, secure etc.. (we had some items stolen from our boat in March during the Spain lockdown at Burriana). We also really like La Marina de València and if Denia doesn't have space will probably end up there. Again, a nice secure marina and nice and close to the hustle and bustle of the city.

Hurricane

Visit site
We are currently in Burriananova marina. It's ok, but being a working town it's a bit too quiet for us. We are planning to move the boat to El Portet de Dénia in Feb/Mar (depending on the covid situation). It's almost 3 times the price of Burriananova but we love the town, the marina is right in the thick of it, secure etc.. (we had some items stolen from our boat in March during the Spain lockdown at Burriana). We also really like La Marina de València and if Denia doesn't have space will probably end up there. Again, a nice secure marina and nice and close to the hustle and bustle of the city.
Have you tried or looked at Sant Carles - only a short run from Valencia.
Lots of Brits in Sant Carles.
The town is just a short walk away from the marina - just a nice Spanish resort.
I agree that Denia is nice - some good restaurants in the main marina.
The Republic especially - try their tasting menu - expensive but well worth it.
Thats the marina that we use when we visit.

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
Yes, we actually stopped in Sant Carles on our delivery trip from France down to Burriana. Lovely marina but a little too far North for us right now. We plan to do 1 more season in Spain (if we can get enough time this season) and then start working our way up round the med after that.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Yes, we actually stopped in Sant Carles on our delivery trip from France down to Burriana. Lovely marina but a little too far North for us right now. We plan to do 1 more season in Spain (if we can get enough time this season) and then start working our way up round the med after that.
If you re-locate to Denia then I can thoroughly recommend the cruising area just a short distance further South - Moraira (described as the Spanish St Tropez!), Calpe, Altea (where we are), Benidorm bay, Alicante, etc.

Peterlewis321

Visit site
The town is just a short walk away from the marina - just a nice Spanish resort.
We’ve been moored at Marina de Denia since early 2017 and really love the marina, town and local area (both on land, and sea for cruising). As you say, Republic restaurant is superb (along with Basta and several others just in the marina alone) and our boat is moored literally right outside Republic so very handy!!!! Can often get windy though in the afternoons during summer but you get used to it and it keeps your boat handling skills in check :)

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I can also confirm that the Republic is excellent. But don’t do as we did and order the Denia red prawn to share. 2 plates appeared, along with 1 prawn. And that 1 prawn cost the best part of £10! But the rest of the meal was really good with very efficient and friendly service. Not cheap, but worth every cent.

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
We’ve been moored at Marina de Denia since early 2017 and really love the marina, town and local area (both on land, and sea for cruising). As you say, Republic restaurant is superb (along with Basta and several others just in the marina alone) and our boat is moored literally right outside Republic so very handy!!!! Can often get windy though in the afternoons during summer but you get used to it and it keeps your boat handling skills in check :)

We just paid deposit for our berth today for the next year at Denia.....whenever we can travel to Spain and move her down from Burriana. See you there and will be sure to check out Republic as we are foodies ?

AlexKT7

Visit site
check out Alicante city marina ( Marina Alicante – Marina Deportiva del Puerto de Alicante). the last season we booked ourselves there (negotiated with Marina directly, but you may also contact isaac@joveryachts.com who has contacts among local berth holders) for 12 months but could not make it for COVID reasons. We paid a more than reasonable price ( got larger berth with all 'inclusive' package) and the location can't be better. Alicante Airport is just 15 minutes by taxi or you can even take a regular airport bus. Very close to Ibiza (85 nm).

A family friend has a house with 14m mooring in Empuriabrava (Girona is 40 minutes and Barcelona is 2 hours away), if you are keen on this option PM and will send his details over. it's too north for us, but some people prefer the north of Barcelona.

Last edited:

Peterlewis321

Visit site
We just paid deposit for our berth today for the next year at Denia.....whenever we can travel to Spain and move her down from Burriana. See you there and will be sure to check out Republic as we are foodies ?
Great-be sure to stop by E10 and say hello. Princess V45 called “Vamos”

peter123

Visit site
Another Marina de Denia fan here....best compromise for us. Kinda affordable with fantastic restaurants,bars,beaches etc. Short hop to Ibiza ,Valencia , Alicante and marinas in between. Lots of great land based day trips. Lovely walks in Jalon valley etc. Very accessible from Alicante or Valencia airport-got a car hire company who just leave the keys in the car for us-takes all the grief out of it. It’s lovely out of season with great weather, lots to do and everything open. Come and say hello on D18.

John100156

Visit site
I haven't seen mine since last week - but what a horrific journey we had travelling back from SCM to UK, through rain and snow, missed the new ferry (Galicia) booked via Santander and had to divert through France and the Chunnel via Bilbao, Bordeax to Calais..... Why I returned goodness knows!

Peterlewis321

Visit site
I think we are planning to go over end of Feb/early March to move the boat from Burriana to Denia. Will just have to deal with the covid tests each way and possibly 10 day quarantine when home.
I think the issue will be whether the Spanish authorities will let non-residents in....as I understand it, until 2 Feb at least, only residents of Spain are allowed in (If travelling from UK at least) Or have I misinterpreted that? I don’t mind doing the tests (each way) and the 10 day quarantine when I get back home-am just desperate to break the home working monotony and spend a few days getting my boating fix!!!!!!

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
I think the issue will be whether the Spanish authorities will let non-residents in....as I understand it, until 2 Feb at least, only residents of Spain are allowed in (If travelling from UK at least) Or have I misinterpreted that? I don’t mind doing the tests (each way) and the 10 day quarantine when I get back home-am just desperate to break the home working monotony and spend a few days getting my boating fix!!!!!!

You're correct, currently we can't go but I'm hoping something may change in the next month or two. Boat has been sailed back to France, had repairs and been sailed back, all without me seeing it so I'm eager to get out there. Wishful thinking maybe but got to hope!

Peterlewis321

Visit site
You're correct, currently we can't go but I'm hoping something may change in the next month or two. Boat has been sailed back to France, had repairs and been sailed back, all without me seeing it so I'm eager to get out there. Wishful thinking maybe but got to hope!
Absolutely-I’m hoping too!!!

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
Read online that Spanish pm has suggested they won't be allowing international until after the summer. If this is confirmed in the next month or two I think I'll leave my boat in Burriana and move to Denia next season (silly paying 3 times the price of Burriana) with little hope of getting any use out of it during this whole mess.