A suitable dinghy?

G

I need a rigid dinghy big enough to carry 5 adults. It will need to be up to 11 ft and deep, preferably not too heavy and ideally able to be sailed (not with 5 aboard of course). Something like a Mirror would suit but that's not robust enough to stand up to regular cruising use.

Can anyone tell me who makes or sell something suitable?

Thanks.

G

Caley Marina in Inverness sell "Pioner" boats made out of an incredibly tough plastic. The 5 man is nearer 13 foot long than the 11 specified.

Not sure if there is a "sailing" version but with a bit of ingenuity you may be able to convert.

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

G

Thanks...

Is that the marina above the Muirtown locks on the Caledonian Canal? By coincidence we should be passing them in a few weeks time.

G

Just what is the perfect dingy? I've been searching for a while and just get more frustrated. For me it must be:

Easy to row, easy to stow,light enough to be lifted on board singlehanded,take a decent size OBM, be unsinkable, stow on deck if it's rigid or fit in a cockpit locker if it's not. The ability to sail it would also be nice.

Don't want much do I? I'm toying with the idea of a small RIB or making a nesting plywood dink but am open to advice.....

Wully.

G

Re: Thanks...

It is indeed.

If your passing Whitehills drop in as it's now a superb little marina with a few visitors berths.

If it's on a weekend let me know and I'll crack open a bottle of cheap whisky.

You can't miss the boat - "Kindie" - kind of different.

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

G

A gull

Designed by Ian Proctor in the 50s I think. I saw one at the 1999 Southampton boat show, so they should still be around.

One of my many projects is restoring a wooden one which I sailed as a child, but the latest versions are built in GRP. Mine is gunter rigged which makes it easy to and carry all the spars. Modern ones are sloop rigged but I think there were some gaff rigged versions.

It is 11 ft overall, has watertight compartments fore and aft, two thwarts and additional seats along the sides, covering more bouyancy. There are rowlock sockets for each thwart, a sculling socket in the transom, and the transom is designed to take an outboard. The hull can be easily lifted by two feeble adults. All in all an ideal all-purpose family dinghy.

G

Re: A gull - two things I forgot

1 Missing word after "easy to" - store

2 My wife tells me I should sell her, but I told her I'm not allowed to advertise on this board.

snowleopard

Visit site
I remember it well

Seem to recall the designs of that era were pretty solid. Do you happen to know the weight of the hull (I'm pretty critical on weight - 5 ton cat)

G

Mine was very light

but was blown over a dam in Ireland and badly damaged. Replacing most of the port side and the transom, I discovered that 30 year old mahogany ply is very brittle, so I have resorted to a glass-epoxy skin to the underwater panels.

I haven't weighed it, but the original hull was only slightly heavier than a frameless plywood Cadet (about 120 lbs), so I guess about 140 lbs. Then you have the oars, mast, gaff (or whatever you call the bit supporting the sail of a gunter), rudder and tiller.