A question for Mr Jermain...

G

I always read your reviews of the new boats available with interest. I would be interested to know which boat you would actually buy new (cost no object but you have to run the thing) if you could choose from all the boats currently available? What do you reckon?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
It would also be interesting see which of the older, more traditional cruisers they would choose. Why not a comparative article on say 3 x 38-40ft blue water boats??? I find little interest in the current batch of plastic fantastics that feature in most months.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Like the idea and think your sentiments are well intentioned but possibly a tad unfair to JJ. Are you just interested or looking for info to help in making a buying decision? Reason I raise the point is that sailing is such a personal thing that it must be very difficult for a reviewer to stake such a claim without considering their own personal needs so much, which are inevitably going to be different to most other peoples. When for example the reviews of the cheaper boats are done they are in my opinion done quite fairly, it is up to the buying public to pick the bones out of it all. That said I too would be interested to hear the views, but put into categories of say length and price and then cruising & cruiser/racing.

jamesjermain

Visit site
Fudge!

I think this is a question it would be better I didn't answer with actual names. For one thing it would be very difficulty to predict what I would actually buy if money was no object.For another, my private dream boat changes with the wind.

Of the boats which I have sailed in recent years, two which have impressed me most are not currently available. They are/were the Westerly Ocean 37 (based on the Typhoon) and the Bowman Starlight 46. I also enjoyed sailing the 40ft Catana catamaran which is very much still available.

In fact it is likely I will be changing boats in a year or two. At the moment I have no idea what I will buy so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I will reveal this: it is possible it will be catamaran. It may only be a temporary flirtation, but I feel the need to experiment with this form of sailing in more depth than the odd charter and boat test.

JJ