A paper on the history of yacht clubs and their prospects now

lw395

Visit site
idon't know the Ventnor YC.
But several such clubs exist to my knowledge.
Some of them organise cruiser rallies to other ports.
Some meet in other premises.
Some exist for racing purposes, there are a few events which entrants have to represent a club, e.g. Team Racing, so people form a club and travel to events.
A group of people might want to be affiliate to the RYA to run training of some sort?

Heckler

Visit site
Indeed. I was hoping for phut-phut but only got half measure.

It's the cooling water header tank. Leaking from the join halfway up. Warranty job, and France is all on the beach at the moment. A wee bit frustrating.
One should never assume but header tanks are usually plastic so soldering iron and a scrap of plastic to get you away till after the vacance?
S

JumbleDuck

Visit site
One should never assume but header tanks are usually plastic so soldering iron and a scrap of plastic to get you away till after the vacance?
S

Might be worth a go. Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have just had a note from the dealers to say that Nanni are having difficulty getting these (I wonder why ... ?) and suggesting that I just run without it an vent expansion to the bilge for now. They say that some hire fleets do that as standard, and with regular checks on coolant level it sounds OK to me. So I'll be back on board on Monday ... taking my soldering iron with me!

Babylon

Visit site
Members of 'my' club have just had an e-shot from the commodore thanking all those who's shore-based skills (e.g. IT, plumbing, accountancy, joinery, etc, etc, etc) have helped hugely by way of freely volunteering their time. Yacht clubs are communities, like villages they are imperfect and sometimes fractious ones, with a few people who take or expect a bit too much but many more who give and contribute.

Last edited:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I suspect that the relaxation of Sunday licensing laws must have had an effect on club membership.

When I raced out of Lymington in the early 80s, the RLymYC certainly had a number of 'non-sailing members' who presumably preferred it to Brockenhurst Golf Club as somewhere to go for a drink on a Sunday. (IIRC, back then Sunday opening was midday to 2;30pm and then 7 to 10pm. In certain places in the UK (wales/scotland ?) it was even more draconian than this. These restrictions did not apply to private clubs).

I owe to the steward of my yacht club the useful information that an adult may buy an alcoholic drink for a child over the age of three in a private members' club. This is pertinent if you have, as I do, a 15 year old rugger playing son who stands six foot two in size thirteen shoes...

laika

Visit site
Re-reading the title as being about Yacht clubs and their Prospects...Do prospective members of these organisations have to clean the bar and polish the boats of full patch members until they're awarded their colours (which presumably involves a goretex kutte to wear over the oilies)?

Is there a 0.01 percenter subculture of outlaw YCs? If not I think I have an idea for appealing to folks for whom RYA-affiliated yacht clubs never appealed...

lw395

Visit site
I owe to the steward of my yacht club the useful information that an adult may buy an alcoholic drink for a child over the age of three in a private members' club. This is pertinent if you have, as I do, a 15 year old rugger playing son who stands six foot two in size thirteen shoes...

I beleive that is nearly all wrong.
AIUI, it is illegal to give alcohol to a child under 5 except in an emergency or under medical supervision.
In licensed premises, at 16 or 17 you may drink wine/beer/cider with a meal.
In private premises, anyone over 5 can drink.

AFAIK, a typical sailing club is treated as licensed premises rather than private. I would be happy to be corrected on this point!

lw395

Visit site
Re-reading the title as being about Yacht clubs and their Prospects...Do prospective members of these organisations have to clean the bar and polish the boats of full patch members until they're awarded their colours (which presumably involves a goretex kutte to wear over the oilies)?

Is there a 0.01 percenter subculture of outlaw YCs? If not I think I have an idea for appealing to folks for whom RYA-affiliated yacht clubs never appealed...

I think you may be onto something.
Maybe we are being too nice to prospective members?

I suspect yer actual HA's are suffering the same aging male demographic issues as sailing does?

dancrane

Visit site
I can see that there must be clubs without clubhouses - probably makes good sense, for a like-minded far-flung set...

...but the peculiar thing about Ventnor YC is that the Spyglass Inn seems to be the clubhouse. It's the members who don't exist.

Or, if they do, they flatly refuse to use any form of communication or self-promotion using internet. A little eccentric, in 2017.

lw395

Visit site
I can see that there must be clubs without clubhouses - probably makes good sense, for a like-minded far-flung set...

...but the peculiar thing about Ventnor YC is that the Spyglass Inn seems to be the clubhouse. It's the members who don't exist.

Or, if they do, they flatly refuse to use any form of communication or self-promotion using internet. A little eccentric, in 2017.

I'd guess somebody wants to keep the name in continuous use or some similar motive?

dancrane

Visit site
Seems likely. I wonder what RYA affiliation costs, if anything?

The only online references to Ventnor YC seem to be as a lunching-place for occasional races by Dart catamarans, sailed from Shanklin sailing club.

Walther

Visit site
Add the RCC who share the Royal Thames, or indeed the British Classic YC. I am sure there are many more.
Indeed. A few more examples of well-regarded paper clubs:
- Bar Yacht Club
- House of Lords Yacht Club
- Household Division Yacht Club
- Lloyd’s of London Yacht Club
- Ocean Cruising Club
- Royal Highland Yacht Club
- RNVR Yacht Club