A Nicholson presumably - what size?

Goldie

Visit site
I think you may be onto something but the Corsairs that I can find pictures of have two windows on each side of the coach roof while the Nicholson 45 has one.

I noticed the same, but I THINK that after Bowman, the Corsair was offered as bare mouldings by Tyler so finished detail could be at the owner’s whim. My previous boat (Biscay 36) also had just a single window where many had two and again, was completed independently.

The curved coachroof and (as far as I can see from the pic) flush foredeck steer me away from the Nicholson 45 and towards the Corsair. Also, I think the Nicholson companionway is central and the Corsair’s offset to starboard which, to me, looks to be the case in the boat in the photograph.

Last edited:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
It does look as if the rudder has been dropped. If she is a Ray Wall Nicholson, it's a biggish job, as the steering gear has to be disconnected in place, but the bottom bracket is a nice meaty bronze casting,. and on the good side the rudder draws much less than the keel, so the need to excavate is correspondingly less. At least on the 55 it is and I assume the 45 is similar.

However I am coming to think that she is not a Nicholson. I think the shape of the skeg may be different; the Nicholsons have a substantial fillet on the foreside of the skeg, and I think the shape of the afterbody on Ray Wall's boats is more Vee-ed. Here is a snap of a 55 from about the same angle:

I am inclined to agree with Goldie that she may very well be a Bowman Corsair.

Last edited:

Goldie

Visit site
The photo of Kukri reminds just what a lovely hull shape those Nicholsons have. I’ve sailed a few of the 55s - including a Biscay crossing with the wind 45 gusting nearly 60 - and they’ve never been less than a pleasure to sail. I never sailed Kukri though.

Last edited:

Tradewinds

Visit site
Comparing Kukri's last photo to another similar angle from Google maps I'd still say def not a Nic 45 - too much sheer.

Similar sheer to a Biscay 36 designed by Alan Hill. The Biscay 36 was built by Robert Ives who also moulded the hull for my Nic 39. According to Saildata, the largest boat Hill designed was the B36 and it's not that.

Screenshot 2019-12-27 at 22.20.13.png

Goldie

Visit site
Compare this (Bowman Corsair) with #22 above. Lots of similarities, but look at the coachroof profiles and the area just forward of that. The Nic has a low profile moulding which extends forward of the mast whereas the Bowman doesn’t (just a couple of moulded up stands for hatches). The pic at #27 better shows the offset companionway too and all the pics I’ve found online suggest that the Nic companionway is on or very close to the centreline.

1577494924323.jpeg

Last edited:

steve1963

Visit site
It looks a bit like an S & S design to me. I have often noticed this boat from a passing bus, and wondered the same thing. She has beautiful lines.