A Nicholson presumably - what size?

A1Sailor

Visit site
I was in Bristol last week and got whisked from the airport by taxi. Return for my flight home was a more leisurely affair - yesterday was a lovely morning and I got the airport bus from "The Centre". Sitting on the upper deck I got lovely views and a guided tour! The next stop is...:D
Anyway, I'll digress since this is a boaty forum. I spotted a lovely looking yacht very neatly parked here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.446...v1pkDCIZAKPk0fiKA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en-GB
Can anyone help identify her? I've sailed on a couple of Nicholson 55s, on three separate occasions, and that was my initial thought - but the coachroof looks different and smaller. Is she a "Nicholson smaller than 55"? Or a 55 different from HMSTYs Dasher & Adventure?
I'm simply trying to settle my curiousity.:confused:
TIA.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
There is a forumite here who posts occasionally who is one of the fortunate eight people lucky enough to own a 45, but I fancy his is one of the wooden coach roof ones. They were the swan song of the big Nicholson cruiser racers because of the oil price rise which triggered a world recession and put up the price of GRP at the same time.

At present the Nic 55 owners group consists of five boats, one in Plymouth, one on the Orwell and three on the Solent and we know of one still owned by the MOD, one in Australia and one in Noumea but we are missing the other eighteen (we know two were lost).

PeterV

Visit site
She's been there for many years (over 15). I always thought she was Adventure, but I'm not an expert.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
She's been there for many years (over 15). I always thought she was Adventure, but I'm not an expert.
The Nich 55 ‘Adventure’ (a boat I’ve sailed many thousands of miles on and which has been round the world at least twice to my knowledge) was sailed to St Petersburg a few years ago and donated to the Russian Navy to encourage them in sail training. I assume they still have her.

PeterV

Visit site
For such a lovely boat it's a pity to see her sitting there. We moved from the area 12 years ago, I reckon she may have been there nearly 10;years before that.

fisherman

Visit site
Got this info from my daughter's father in law in Bristol;
"This boat belongs to the owner of the land it sits on which is one of the old entrance locks from the cut into bathurst basin where my boat is moored. The entrance was concreted in at the beginning of the last war because it could compromise the whole of the harbour should it be bombed during an attack on the docks. It has sat there for the past thirty years and despite a lot of offers it still sits there as the owner of the land doesn't like interference. I guess you remember the site from visiting The Quays when the kids lived there. She is a Nic 35 and was moved about ten feet when the new bridge was built alongside the existing swingbridge a couple of years ago. "

doug748

Visit site
Last edited:

Kukri

Visit site
The 26 is not quite ‘a plastic South Coast One Design’, but if they are not twins they are sisters. Plenty of headroom, plenty of ballast, plenty of draft... five feet, in fact, with encapsulated lead ballast. The Nic 26 is not as well known because she was built in relatively smaller numbers, being perhaps too close in size to her big sister.

Tends to get confused with the Contessa 26, a very different boat, which is a little slip of a thing, in comparison. The Nic 26 is halfway between a Vertue and a Twister. A solid well built boat.

Excellent choice, I’d say.

There was a thread about these:

Nic 26 experience/opinions please...

Last edited:

Goldie

Visit site
I’m afraid I’m going to differ here, I don’t think it’s a Nicholson at all and it’s certainly not a 35 as has been suggested.

I think it could be a Bowman 44 Corsair (not to be confused with the centre cockpit Bowman 46 which one or two websites also refer to as the ‘Corsair’). Look at the curves on the front of the coach roof, the Nic 45, lovely as it is, is more angular and doesn’t have such a flush deck. If it is a Corsair, there’s a lovely one for sale in the Netherlands, drop dead gorgeous.

Goldie

Visit site
The Nich 55 ‘Adventure’ (a boat I’ve sailed many thousands of miles on and which has been round the world at least twice to my knowledge) was sailed to St Petersburg a few years ago and donated to the Russian Navy to encourage them in sail training. I assume they still have her.

Adventure, still owned by the Russian Navy, paid a courtesy visit to Gosport a couple of years or so ago. The Russians have clearly invested in her and she looked the best that I've ever seen her.

Kukri

Visit site
I’m afraid I’m going to differ here, I don’t think it’s a Nicholson at all and it’s certainly not a 35 as has been suggested.

I think it could be a Bowman 44 Corsair (not to be confused with the centre cockpit Bowman 46 which one or two websites also refer to as the ‘Corsair’). Look at the curves on the front of the coach roof, the Nic 45, lovely as it is, is more angular and doesn’t have such a flush deck. If it is a Corsair, there’s a lovely one for sale in the Netherlands, drop dead gorgeous.ay

I think you may be onto something but the Corsairs that I can find pictures of have two windows on each side of the coach roof while the Nicholson 45 has one.