A new destination for the Fastnet race?

bdh198

Visit site
There's a lot of speculation around at the moment that RORC's 'major announcement' on Tuesday will be to announce a new destination for the 2021 Fastnet race i.e. Cherbourg. If this turns out to be correct then I can't help feeling the Fastnet will lose something that makes the race what it is. I know Plymouth perhaps wouldn't be the destination you'd choose if you were planning the event today, but of all the offshore races the Fastnet is special because of its history and traditions. To make such a major change after nearly 100 years would be to take away something that gives the race its identity.

We'll find out on Tuesday, but hopefully the major announcement will be something that doesn't spell the end of the race as we know it.

flaming

Visit site
I have a suspicion that it will be to announce that they are changing the race to annual.

zoidberg

Visit site
49123921918_4f8c4b253c_z.jpg

It's likely an 'insurance job'.

;)

Edit: I've done the race twice, and had Class Win.... I've sailed around there more than a dozen times, including single-handed. This fellah would be quite content to see a change.... St Malo would be fine. But.... it's a huge money-spinner for RORC and RWYC.

Last edited:

TLouth7

Visit site
My bet is that you will have to do leave the rock to Starboard.

Does anyone know whether it is treated as a mark or an obstruction? I guess you would have to be pretty bold to get inside the zone anyway so maybe it doesn't matter.

j80

Visit site
There's a lot of speculation around at the moment that RORC's 'major announcement' on Tuesday will be to announce a new destination for the 2021 Fastnet race i.e. Cherbourg. etc.
You seemed to be ahead of the pack! Plymouth was a bit limited in facilities after the race - but after 4.5 days of slog - i was not really that bothered - apparently 150 boats on waiting list this year after 340 entrants accepted - partly due to plymouth berthing limitations/modest infrastructure for large numbers of crew etc. For nostalgia's sake hope Plymouth gets another opportunity to have host finish in centenary in 2025 - but you can't really argue with commercial logic behind decision made

Stotty

Visit site
New finish in Cherbourg to allow better facilities and more entrants.

We were lucky this year and got a mega berth at the finish in Plymouth, but many spoke to were a good distance away from the 'village'.

Finish facilities were somewhat limited.

dunedin

Visit site
Huge change for a historic race. Yes France has dominated yacht racing in recent years, winning most of the big prizes.
But this a big loss for U.K. yacht racing.

I hear next week that the Sydney Hobart race is going to finish at Auckland.

Muddy32

Visit site
Huge change for a historic race. Yes France has dominated yacht racing in recent years, winning most of the big prizes.
But this a big loss for U.K. yacht racing.

I hear next week that the Sydney Hobart race is going to finish at Auckland.

Yes, but going west about?

zoidberg

Visit site
Reading the blurb in SailWorld, it's obvious why the RWYC are 'excited'.....
.....perhaps the hole in their projected finances - due to the loss of hosting the 'Finish' of the RORC Fastnet - will not be quite as deep as predicted.

Oh, is this controversial? Oops!