A 'national flag ship' planned to replace Royal Yacht

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
A sobering example of the need to keep production teams together in order to retain skills.

The United States has restarted production of the plutonium “pits” which lie at the heart of the fission trigger for thermonuclear bombs.

The plutonium degrades over several decades, so eventually the triggers will not fire. Long before that event, the USA has restarted production because it is an extremely skilled process which cannot be automated and the skills will otherwise be lost:

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Surprised this subject hasnt already come up on what is supposed to be a boaty forum. Maybe it has but I missed it. Trying to keep this non political, what does the panel think?

259911138-trans-NvBQzQNjv4BqFSoRFq0mffoTKzSkwZ--Sw.jpg

Personally I think it looks a bit meh. To me it looks like the bastard child of a P&O cross channel ferry and a 1950's Cunard cruise liner. Maybe that's the idea but its not exactly 21st century

And then going onto its supposed purpose which is impressing foreigners, is it going to do that? In an era when the likes of Bezos and Abramovich are spending north of £1bn on their personal superyachts, is a £220m cross channel ferry look alike going to cut it? Surely if this yacht is going to project global buccaneering Britain it needs to be the biggest, shiniest, most expensive yacht in the harbour and not look like the poor relation next to some unknown oligarch's superyacht?

Bouba

Visit site
Surely if this yacht is going to project global buccaneering Britain it needs to be the biggest, shiniest, most expensive yacht in the harbour and not look like the poor relation next to some unknown oligarch's superyacht?
Which is why we prefer this one

And not another state aid for those spongers at Buck house

penfold

Visit site
Surprised this subject hasnt already come up on what is supposed to be a boaty forum. Maybe it has but I missed it. Trying to keep this non political, what does the panel think?

259911138-trans-NvBQzQNjv4BqFSoRFq0mffoTKzSkwZ--Sw.jpg

Personally I think it looks a bit meh. To me it looks like the bastard child of a P&O cross channel ferry and a 1950's Cunard cruise liner. Maybe that's the idea but its not exactly 21st century

And then going onto its supposed purpose which is impressing foreigners, is it going to do that? In an era when the likes of Bezos and Abramovich are spending north of £1bn on their personal superyachts, is a £220m cross channel ferry look alike going to cut it? Surely if this yacht is going to project global buccaneering Britain it needs to be the biggest, shiniest, most expensive yacht in the harbour and not look like the poor relation next to some unknown oligarch's superyacht?
Looks like the hull of the one in Leith with the superstructure of one of the uglier CalMac efforts; I'm deeply suspicious of vessels that have no bridge wings, it's like deck officers have become water-soluble in the last 20 years and nav-arcs have been warned to keep them safe, but at the same time instructed that under no circumstances can they specify a large enough A/C plant to cope with the solar gain.

RAI

Visit site
It's a wedding present for Carrie. Boris wants to do something with the money he has saved from foreign aid. He also has plans for the donations to the Tory party in return for lordships.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Which is why we prefer this one

And not another state aid for those spongers at Buck house

The Queen has quite rightly refused to have anything to do with this Bozo spaff fest. She has even refused to allow Bozo to name it after the late Duke of Edinburgh. So don't blame her or the Royal Family if this total waste of money goes ahead. It will simply be another holiday pad where Bozo and his cronies can live the high life at the taxpayers expense

Bouba

Visit site
The Queen has quite rightly refused to have anything to do with this Bozo spaff fest. She has even refused to allow Bozo to name it after the late Duke of Edinburgh. So don't blame her or the Royal Family if this total waste of money goes ahead. It will simply be another holiday pad where Bozo and his cronies can live the high life at the taxpayers expense
Well she’s 95 and will be century by the time it’s built but I doubt that the others have that brake on their greed. I’m glad that you think Boris will be in office long enough to enjoy a cruise in her. But a Prime Ministorial yacht I’m all in favor of

Poignard

Visit site
Well she’s 95 and will be century by the time it’s built but I doubt that the others have that brake on their greed. I’m glad that you think Boris will be in office long enough to enjoy a cruise in her. But a Prime Ministorial yacht I’m all in favor of
Will any of your taxes be contributing to this absurd vanity project?

Status
Not open for further replies.