A 'national flag ship' planned to replace Royal Yacht

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Another eye-catching project from our esteemed Prime Minister.

1622346042146.png
Plans for new national flagship to promote 'best of British'

Does anyone else think the 'artists impression' is somehow both slightly strange and rather run-of-the-mill?

I was also curious as to how much of a new, one-off design, UK-built ship you'd really get for £200 million (especially given it apparently cost £200,000 just to decorate a flat!). Does anyone know how plausible that £200m is, or what sort of a vessel you'd get for that?

Note also the sub-editor at play in the following headline. :D

Boris Johnson plans to sink £200m into new ship of state

Poignard

Visit site
Another eye-catching project from our esteemed Prime Minister.

View attachment 116414
Plans for new national flagship to promote 'best of British'

Does anyone else think the 'artists impression' is somehow both slightly strange and rather run-of-the-mill?

I was also curious as to how much of a new, one-off design, UK-built ship you'd really get for £200 million (especially given it apparently cost £200,000 just to decorate a flat!). Does anyone know how plausible that £200m is, or what sort of a vessel you'd get for that?

Note also the sub-editor at play in the following headline. :D

Boris Johnson plans to sink £200m into new ship of state
This country is heading towards becoming what they say of pretentious women in Yorkshire :

"All fur coat and mucky knickers".

Capt Popeye

Visit site
What a GREAT leap forward for our Country; improoves our Status , Standing , Importance , and a sure benefit with NO downsides at all;

Great and much relieved that the design shows absolutely NO resemblence to them stupid looking Gin Palaces and Monstrosities oft seen pictured in some Boating Mags , oft at an Enourmous Price (asking that is) somehow I guess that the Designers /Builders of such Silly Yachts think that they are building for strictly Non Boaters but Mediteranean Marina Floating Hotels

Just hope that we can now arrange for any such Royal Yacht to be actually built in an English , inc NI yard , in an effort for ourEnglish Pounds to be returned by giving incomes at home

Bouba

Visit site
What a GREAT leap forward for our Country; improoves our Status , Standing , Importance , and a sure benefit with NO downsides at all;

Great and much relieved that the design shows absolutely NO resemblence to them stupid looking Gin Palaces and Monstrosities oft seen pictured in some Boating Mags , oft at an Enourmous Price (asking that is) somehow I guess that the Designers /Builders of such Silly Yachts think that they are building for strictly Non Boaters but Mediteranean Marina Floating Hotels

Just hope that we can now arrange for any such Royal Yacht to be actually built in an English , inc NI yard , in an effort for ourEnglish Pounds to be returned by giving incomes at home
I think it only fitting that this ship be built in Korea

Capt Popeye

Visit site
As this is most definitely a boaty subject, I can say without fear of reprisal, that I am totally disgusted that even more outrageous sums of money are being spent on the comfort of the most egregious family in Great Britain

Nice to get a Foreigners (SoF ?) point of view at times; but this is NOT the time, Old Boy {:)#

D

Deleted member 36384

The country has taken on levels of debt that can not be paid for in any meaningful time frame. The management of that debt will probably result in further devaluation of the pound, inflation, tax increases. When this anaemic design of yacht, devoid of imagination and rich in blandness is delivered it will be seen for what it is, another pointless exercise in vanity, that fails to deliver even that.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I ink there is some confusion here. This ship is a Victorian reenactment attraction that will be birthed at Alton towers. For £100 you can flog a steward for not having your g and t cold enough.

johnalison

Visit site
As far as I know, this will be a working ship with many duties other than giving joyrides to the Royal Family. As such, it will quite possibly pay for itself, that is, if it gets built against the oppostion of people who are embittered by the thought of anyone being better off than themselves.

As for the design illustrated, it looks sort of OK to me, but more of a pastiche of the old Britannia than an attempt to reflect the current times or look forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.