. A Medway Digital Ramble. . MSBA.

oldgit

Visit site
CA are doing a Zoom evening on the history of the Merdway.
CA talk: Islands of the Medway by Adam Taylor, Thu 11 Feb, 7pm

An opportunity not to binge watch yet again your collection of "Strictly" or Love Island" or suffer yet another tedious self satisfied programme about changing the wallpaper in a cold damp tarted up French Chateau.

A chance for Medway boaters (as opposed to the Thames Pond Navy ) to write letters in GREEN INK about how the various bits of the presentation were TOTALY OUT OF SEQUENCE and why their particular 100M of river completely has been completely ignored .***.

*** Possibly cos its so unremarkable that nobody apart from the complainer is the least bit interested.

:)

Last edited:

Adios

Visit site
I'll be glad if it explains why the islands are surrounded by long weathered wooden stakes. Sounds like it might! I'll set a reminded but are these things available to watch after as well?

oldgit

Visit site
Will there be MUD?

There are several extremely interesting and fascinating types of mud on the Medway and having run aground on most of them am happy to go into extreme detail.

Are you sitting comfortably, then I will begin.

In the eastern part of the London Basin, the Upnor Formation rests on silty fine-grained sand at a burrowed contact with the Thanet Formation, with burrows extending as much as 0.5m into the Thanet Formation, or on a channelled erosion surface (King in prep). The Upnor Formation is likely to be composed of medium to coarse-grained sand that is greener and commonly more gravelly than that of the Thanet Formation but in places has a confusingly similar lithology, especially where, as in the far east of the London Basin, bioturbation has produced a gradational juction (Ellison et al.,1994). According to Morton (1982), the top of the Thanet Formation has been leached during a period of exposure, probably with some erosion, prior to deposition of the Upnor Formation. In the west of the London Basin, to the west of the Thanet Formation outcrop and subcrop, the Upnor Formation rests on a burrowed contact with chalk and flints of the Chalk Group, commonly modified by karstic dissolution. In East Anglia, the Upnor Formation rests on a burrowed contact with the clay of the Ormesby Clay Member.

BGS Lexicon of Named Rock Units - Result Details

How much mud detail would you like, if we skip some of the boring bits might get finished before the end of the lockdown :).

oldgit

Visit site
Thanks OG. That looks interesting

With the "Upnor Beds" about a fork tine under my back garden, unable to understand why Tony Robinson and hordes of film crews are not swamping the area investigating the minutiae of such interesting alluvial desposits, instead of always mincing about on the Thames getting the order of the locks wrong. :):):)