A little choppy...

sarabande

Visit site
Hmm, genoa not only furled but wrapped as well. Difficult to provide drive if he were to lose engine or mainsail.

But there are limits to the precautions one can take ?

Stemar

Visit site
The only reason my first thought wasn't "I'm not going there" is because I've seen videos of the entrance before and already decided that. It was "Why the main and not the genny?"

Of course, it's always easy to question decisions as an armchair admiral, but ISTM that it keeps the centre of effort further forward, always a good thing with a strong wind up your chuff, it's easier and quicker to lose in a hurry and a backed genny is easier to manage than that unexpected gybe, which could have been lethal a few seconds later.

PlanB

Visit site
The entrance to Cap Breton is a real spectator sport. We arrived in relative calm and it was like a roller coaster.
I saw the Zumaya clip when it first came out - it does look terrible and it must ahve been scary, but viewed from a difference angle they are actually very close to the entrance to the channel and safety.

sails_02

Visit site
That entry to the mouth where the crew get washed overboard is terrifying. Nightmare stuff.

I felt for the chaps in the little boats powered by outboards. My heart was in my mouth in case they stalled.

Illustrates why you need to keep your boat _dead-on_ to the wave, otherwise you're in trouble and get pushed sideways. This guy in Hawaii managed it perfectly
Une sortie de port fort mouvementée !

*this coming from experience with RIBs in big seas, Boris forbid I ever end up running surf in a keeled yacht.

Slowboat35

Visit site
What kind of numbskull skipper allows goofers on the foredeck in conditions like that?
A lesson to wear and use harnesses too.

flaming

Visit site
What kind of numbskull skipper allows goofers on the foredeck in conditions like that?
A lesson to wear and use harnesses too.
And yet the two on the foredeck are still on the boat when it pops up... The MOBs all come from the cockpit.

Stemar

Visit site
When I'm on the foredeck in bumpy conditions I'm paying a lot more attention to what's going on with the waves than I am in the cockpit. Maybe they were too and were hanging on - or were clipped on. The cockpit's a "safe" place, so I may not be paying so much attention, and I can't remember the last time I clipped on in the cockpit. That is, of course, one of the benefits of modern forecasting and never being more than a day sail from a safe haven.

It was definitely unfair of that wave to jump the harbour wall to attack them when they thought they were safe. "Oof, made it - Oh Shiii - glub"

Glad they were all OK.

Sybarite

Visit site
And yet the two on the foredeck are still on the boat when it pops up... The MOBs all come from the cockpit.
It appears the helmsman/skipper(?) goes overboard. This means that there may not have been competent sailors among those remaining...