90/180 for sailors on You Tube

kingfisher

Visit site
I am a bit confused, whilst EU citizens can visit the UK for 180 days, British travellers can only spend 90 days in the EU? Regarding reciprocity, how is this controlling access to the UK?

I would have thought this was the exact opposite!

They both agreed to 180 days per year, But for the EU thats 2 90-day periods per 180 roling days, while in the UK you can stay 180 days continuously. IF the EU adopted the UK system, it would still pose a problem: 180 days covers April to September, and for some the travel season is longer than that.

st599

Visit site
They both agreed to 180 days per year, But for the EU thats 2 90-day periods per 180 roling days, while in the UK you can stay 180 days continuously. IF the EU adopted the UK system, it would still pose a problem: 180 days covers April to September, and for some the travel season is longer than that.

No it went further than that, EU offered 6 months at a time, but UK refused to reciprocate for all EU citizens. The UK system is only available to some countries in the EU.

Sandy

Visit site
According to UK embassy, there are 35,000 Brits in Portugal alone but SEF say only 20,000 have residence. Presumably, the embassy figure only contains those who have registered their presence with them, I for instance haven't and doubt any friends have so, actual numbers may be far higher, taking into account boats, motor homes etc. That's quite big spending power, much of which will be lost.

Brits can still apply for residence in Portugal, using the D7 Visa scheme.
It would be interesting to see what the numbers from other European nations are and the average spend per individual by nation, this would give us some context.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
It would be interesting to see what the numbers from other European nations are and the average spend per individual by nation, this would give us some context.

In 2019, according to UN data, 1.3 million people born in the UK lived in EU countries. Spain hosted the largest group, at 302,000, followed by Ireland, with 293,000. France was third with 177,000, Germany was fourth with 99,000 and Italy was fifth with 66,000. How many British citizens live in the EU? | UK in a changing Europe (ukandeu.ac.uk)

Sandy

Visit site
In 2019, according to UN data, 1.3 million people born in the UK lived in EU countries. Spain hosted the largest group, at 302,000, followed by Ireland, with 293,000. France was third with 177,000, Germany was fourth with 99,000 and Italy was fifth with 66,000. How many British citizens live in the EU? | UK in a changing Europe (ukandeu.ac.uk)
What about EU nationals living in Portugal and the spend average spend of each nation in Portugal. I was looking for comparative data.

A school pal of mine lives in Spain. The non-Spanish Europeans outnumber the British emigrants about 50:1. Now, I know that is not a good example as it is only one person, but it might be an indication that the Brits are not as important to the Portuguese economy as they would like to think they are.

According to France 24 there were about 300,000 French in the UK in 2020*, we have become used to the freedom of movement, sadly that has been taken away.

* Brexit uncertainty among French diaspora in London’s ‘Frog Valley’

Graham376

Visit site
I expect governments will have the data you're looking for but not found anything on line so far. Nomads on boats contribute little compared to tourism which is the biggest income group. Expats resident in EU would I expect have similar living costs (spending power) as citizens but cost to individual countries will vary, some give free healthcare, some don't but unlikely expats will be claiming any social benefits or pensions there.

P.S. I was thinking about retirees, not working expats.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Can you tell us all what proportion of UK tourists spent more than 28 days in the Schengen area? I don't see any the EU losing any € anytime soon.

Prior to retirement I spent about 25, post retirement I can spend 180 without a visa. To visit the USofA I need a visitors visa, Canada an eTA.
I am thinking of Mexico. La Paz and the Sea of Cortez. Mexico gives 180 day visa and easy to renew indefinitely - just need to leave for one day.

saab96

Bath, Somerset or sailing Portugal to Azores
www.lesweatheritt.com
Firstly I'm not sure why anyone takes any notice of a blatantly right wing YouTube channel with a computer generated voiceover and whose Twitter account has been suspended.

Secondly it is true that EU nationals can visit the UK for upto 180days as a tourist but this is a long standing concession which the UK has had in place for many years and covers many different foreign nationals, not just EU nationals. Quite why people expect other countries to adopt UK laws just because they exist is beyond me

Thirdly the EU 90/180 day visa free limit was actually a concession to the UK by the EU because not all 3rd countries are granted visa free travel in the EU. This 90/180day visa free concession was negotiated in 2019 by the May govt so it is somewhat surprising that people are making a fuss now when its been known about for nearly 2 years. Too many people believing the cake 'n eat it myth I guess. But at the time the UK govt explicitly stated that it would not be pursuing 180day visa free travel in the EU by UK citizens (the reason being that it would look a bit too much like free movement)

Fourthly you can of course stay longer than 90/180 days in some EU countries if you apply for a visa

And fifthly of course, this is what the country voted for not only in the 2016 referendum but by voting for 2 successive govts who campaigned explicitly on leaving the single market and customs union (although of course they might have been somewhat economical with the truth on the consequences of that)

Prior to the UK leaving the EU there was no long standing 180 day concession by the UK to EU nationals. Surely there was only the EU free movement, which allowed all EU nationals indefinite time to visit any EU country, which included the UK. So what happened next is the brexit restriction on number of days with the EU applying typical "third country" status to the UK and the UK picking 180 days out of a hat.

st599

Visit site
Prior to the UK leaving the EU there was no long standing 180 day concession by the UK to EU nationals. Surely there was only the EU free movement, which allowed all EU nationals indefinite time to visit any EU country, which included the UK. So what happened next is the brexit restriction on number of days with the EU applying typical "third country" status to the UK and the UK picking 180 days out of a hat.
https://assets.publishing.service.g.../indicative-visa-charges-for-2015-to-2016.pdf
6 months was the Non-EEA visa duration pre-Brexit Vote. Not picked out of a hat.

Star-Lord

Visit site
I believe there is some 10 year tax amnesty with D7? Portugal is meant to be crypto friendly but actually finding precise deal on the internet is hard. With D7 you need to spend 183 days a year min so therefore you will be a Portuguese Tax payer.

Graham376

Visit site
I believe there is some 10 year tax amnesty with D7? Portugal is meant to be crypto friendly but actually finding precise deal on the internet is hard. With D7 you need to spend 183 days a year min so therefore you will be a Portuguese Tax payer.

UK and Portugal have dual tax and dual residence agreements so depending on circumstances maybe no need to pay tax there, I don't.

Ric

Visit site
I agree, all it needs is one country to break ranks, however I think the rules for Schengen mean uniform acceptance of common rules,
No they don’t. Every country in Schengen can negotiate unilaterally with third countries if they so wish. My own government (NZ) took advantage of this and we have 90/180 days in just about every EU country individually (ie we can “hop” within the EU indefinitely). I think the only countries we don’t have access to in this way are the Baltics and (ironically) Portugal.

newtothis

Visit site
No they don’t. Every country in Schengen can negotiate unilaterally with third countries if they so wish. My own government (NZ) took advantage of this and we have 90/180 days in just about every EU country individually (ie we can “hop” within the EU indefinitely). I think the only countries we don’t have access to in this way are the Baltics and (ironically) Portugal.
From what I've read on it, many of NZ's unilateral agreements are six month extensions on top of Schengen's 90/180, giving 270/360. I can almost live with that and am renewing my NZ passport as we speak for that reason (and to not have the embarrassment of showing a UK passport in Europe).
But my other half is of Spanish descent, so we're also investigating that as a full-time option for avoiding the lunacy of Brexit for anyone who wants to get out for more than three months.

Other threads that may be of interest