90/180 for sailors on You Tube

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Good find. On a Government financial level the EU member states lose wth the loss of tourist income while the UK gains. This will be a considerable loss for EU The UK accepts EU tourists for 180 days, while the EU limits itself to accepting UK tourists for only 90 days. In addition UK is boosting local tourism. The EU are becoming marksmen at shootong themselves in the foot.

These are EU rules which they also impose on all 3rd countries. The meagre scraps have to be shared with 27 other member states. Of course it would be better if the EU grew up and allowed 180 continuous summer days or at least 90 days per member state. UK gets 180 and furthermore does not have to share the alloted time with any other country..

An added advantage for the UK is to focus patriotism while directing antagonism against the evil gulag.

Go Boris go. Gives me a good reason to move my cruising grounds to the Caribbean. I certainly dont' expect everyone to agree. YMMV.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
Good find. On a Government financial level the EU member states lose wth the loss of tourist income while the UK gains. This will be a considerable loss for EU The UK accepts EU tourists for 180 days, while the EU limits itself to accepting UK tourists for only 90 days. In addition UK is boosting local tourism. The EU are becoming marksmen at shootong themselves in the foot.

These are EU rules which they also impose on all 3rd countries. The meagre scraps have to be shared with 27 other member states. Of course it would be better if the EU grew up and allowed 180 continuous summer days or at least 90 days per member state. UK gets 180 and furthermore does not have to share the alloted time with any other country..

An added advantage for the UK is to focus patriotism while directing antagonism against the evil gulag.

Go Boris go. Gives me a good reason to move my cruising grounds to the Caribbean. I certainly dont' expect everyone to agree. YMMV.
I think the EU offered the UK 180 days and the UK refused it in favour of the 90 in 180. Correct me if I'm wrong please. But you are correct in that UK gave the EU 180 days in 360. The EU were happy to reciprocate the 180 but UK refused because of other caveats I believe.

andyc352

Visit site

Yes, “Go Boris go”. Please, please go.

Sandy

Visit site

Can you tell us all what proportion of UK tourists spent more than 28 days in the Schengen area? I don't see any the EU losing any € anytime soon.

Prior to retirement I spent about 25, post retirement I can spend 180 without a visa. To visit the USofA I need a visitors visa, Canada an eTA.

nortada

Visit site
Can you tell us all what proportion of UK tourists spent more than 28 days in the Schengen area? I don't see any the EU losing any € anytime soon.

Prior to retirement I spent about 25, post retirement I can spend 180 without a visa. To visit the USofA I need a visitors visa, Canada an eTA.

I suspect the numbers you seek are hard, may be impossible, to obtain but from personal observation, a large number of motor home swallows winter in Portugal. Lagos is in the process of building a large extension and up grading it’s motor home facilities, in the hope to attract more (winter) income. A large proportion of these swallows are from the UK.

There is a persistent rumour that Portugal is considering going unilateral and providing a 6 month visa and this could make a lot of economic sense.

Sorry, as it is just a rumour, no link.?

Last edited:

Bobc

Visit site
If things stay as they are, then when I come south in a couple of years time, I shall be turning right, not left.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I suspect the numbers you seek are hard, may be impossible, to obtain but from personal observation, a large number of motor home swallows winter in Portugal. Lagos is in the process of a large extension and up grading it’s motor home facilities, in the hope to attract more (winter) income. A large proportion of these swallows are from the UK.

There is a persistent rumour that Portugal is considering going unilateral and providing a 6 month visa and this could it make a lot of economic sense.

I agree, all it needs is one country to break ranks, however I think the rules for Schengen mean uniform acceptance of common rules,

st599

Visit site
Schengen Treaty only covers short stay visas.

Longer stay visas are already National concerns and are already available in some states. However the terms and conditions are different in each state.

As for the 180 day visa-free travel to Schengen, the EU did offer it, if the UK reciprocated:

Carolyne Dinenage - DCMS Minister said:
These proposals would have enshrined permanent visa-free short stays for all EU citizens... and that just simply is not compatible with our manifesto commitment to take back control of our borders.

nortada

Visit site
Schengen Treaty only covers short stay visas.

Longer stay visas are already National concerns and are already available in some states. However the terms and conditions are different in each state.

As for the 180 day visa-free travel to Schengen, the EU did offer it, if the UK reciprocated:

I am a bit confused, whilst EU citizens can visit the UK for 180 days, British travellers can only spend 90 days in the EU? Regarding reciprocity, how is this controlling access to the UK?

I would have thought this was the exact opposite!

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I am a bit confused, whilst EU citizens can visit the UK for 180 days, British travellers can only spend 90 days in the EU? Regarding reciprocity, how is this controlling access to the UK?

Exactly. The UK having sole control of its own borders can unilaterally give 90 or 180 days to whomever she wants. The EU would have diffuculty justifying giving 180 days to a specific 3rd country while holding other countries to 90. I believe it would need agreement from all 27 members. Frankly I do not know the answer, but to say that the UK has "ordered" and prevented the EU from giving 180 days to UK citizens beggers belief.

nortada

Visit site
Exactly. The UK having sole control of its own borders can unilaterally give 90 or 180 days to whomever she wants. The EU would have diffuculty justifying giving 180 days to a specific 3rd country while holding other countries to 90. I believe it would need agreement from all 27 members. Frankly I do not know the answer, but to say that the UK has "ordered" and prevented the EU from giving 180 days to UK citizens beggers belief.
As said before, bi-lateral agreements could be the answer.

The first country that enters into a bi-lat with the UK stands to make a bomb over the other tourist destinations.

Post Covid many will have adopted the custom of working from home so what is to stop them working from their mobile home in a better climate during the winter months - already seeing some evidence of this.

Sandy

Visit site
I suspect the numbers you seek are hard, may be impossible, to obtain but from personal observation, a large number of motor home swallows winter in Portugal. Lagos is in the process of building a large extension and up grading it’s motor home facilities, in the hope to attract more (winter) income. A large proportion of these swallows are from the UK.

There is a persistent rumour that Portugal is considering going unilateral and providing a 6 month visa and this could make a lot of economic sense.

I strongly suspected it would be a challenge to get the numbers.

In my travels through the Schengen area the UK emigrants were very low in number and were not the biggest spenders, or perhaps I missed the places where you get 'Bogner in the sun', the Scandinavians, Germans and Spanish were there in greater numbers. Best add our eastern European friends but they are not be part of Schengen.

Basically, the UK spend is not big.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I strongly suspected it would be a challenge to get the numbers.

In my travels through the Schengen area the UK emigrants were very low in number and were not the biggest spenders, or perhaps I missed the places where you get 'Bogner in the sun', the Scandinavians, Germans and Spanish were there in greater numbers. Best add our eastern European friends but they are not be part of Schengen.

Basically, the UK spend is not big.

According to UK embassy, there are 35,000 Brits in Portugal alone but SEF say only 20,000 have residence. Presumably, the embassy figure only contains those who have registered their presence with them, I for instance haven't and doubt any friends have so, actual numbers may be far higher, taking into account boats, motor homes etc. That's quite big spending power, much of which will be lost.

Brits can still apply for residence in Portugal, using the D7 Visa scheme.

NickG1

N/A
Visit site
Firstly I'm not sure why anyone takes any notice of a blatantly right wing YouTube channel with a computer generated voiceover and whose Twitter account has been suspended.

Secondly it is true that EU nationals can visit the UK for upto 180days as a tourist but this is a long standing concession which the UK has had in place for many years and covers many different foreign nationals, not just EU nationals. Quite why people expect other countries to adopt UK laws just because they exist is beyond me

Thirdly the EU 90/180 day visa free limit was actually a concession to the UK by the EU because not all 3rd countries are granted visa free travel in the EU. This 90/180day visa free concession was negotiated in 2019 by the May govt so it is somewhat surprising that people are making a fuss now when its been known about for nearly 2 years. Too many people believing the cake 'n eat it myth I guess. But at the time the UK govt explicitly stated that it would not be pursuing 180day visa free travel in the EU by UK citizens (the reason being that it would look a bit too much like free movement)

Fourthly you can of course stay longer than 90/180 days in some EU countries if you apply for a visa

And fifthly of course, this is what the country voted for not only in the 2016 referendum but by voting for 2 successive govts who campaigned explicitly on leaving the single market and customs union (although of course they might have been somewhat economical with the truth on the consequences of that)

st599

Visit site

From what the Music and Broadcast press were saying, the EU offered 6 months visa-free for all UK citizens in all work sectors if the UK reciprocated. The UK decided to offer 6 month visa free for some EU citizens in some work sectors.

st599

Visit site
As said before, bi-lateral agreements could be the answer.

The first country that enters into a bi-lat with the UK stands to make a bomb over the other tourist destinations.

Post Covid many will have adopted the custom of working from home so what is to stop them working from their mobile home in a better climate during the winter months - already seeing some evidence of this.

It will depend on your circumstances. There are already digital nomad certificates for some countries.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I believe that this has been discussed several times here in the past.

I seem to remember the following:
1) The fact that UK would allow a 6 month visa free stay arose from existing UK legislation​
2) EU either offered or made clear that they'd be happy to offer UK citizens a 6 month visa free stay on a reciprocal basis​
3) UK gov. didn't want the above as it would mean agreeing to put something in place that was specific to EU citizens​
4) References to the reciprocal offer were removed from documents late last year (possibly Sept./Oct.)​

Perhaps someone will be able to confirm my recollection or correct any errors. I did look for official documents referencing these points but think they were removed once superceded by later versions.

Other threads that may be of interest