90/180 days

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I'm convince when the time come for me to return to Sicily there be some kind of stamp involved which will start the clock ,
Which I'm not going to worry about for now.

I mean if I worried about stuff written by people what will happen come last Jan 2021 ,
I wouldn't had another full season cruising the Med .

Once the clock start for me at less it be finding a way to slow it down ,
What I won't be doing is given up my time cruising .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I have been trying to think of a work-around or dodge but I cannot think of one. They all have flaws. The best I can think of is to enter illegally, then send the passport off to Petty France with the postage reciept. Show that to the customs boat. Then use the intervening time (max of a month or two) to "get the hell out of dodge" before the customs boat comes back. The flaw is that you may be asked to present yourself with the returned passport at their office.

I believe residency of a member state is the only way to stand a chance of evading overstay. Of course, a particular member state could perhaps formulate a circumstance that will allow 360/360 to support their tourist industry. The EU rules may prohibit that avenue though.
There are ways to extend the 90 days but I'm not going to go into it here .

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Passport stamps are not the only proof that an immigration officer has at his finger tips.
A lot of data is shared in the Schengen zone. And a lot of that is shared with EU countries out of the Schengen zone as well.

Be very careful. Any kind of fraud could get you banned from entry into the Schengen zone for a long time. The UK seems to use a minimum of a 10 year ban of any kind of entry to the UK for any kind of fraudulent visa application or entry into the UK.

An overstay is less serious. You won't get banned for 10 years for overstaying. It will be a fine and at worst a ban for a year or so.

Play it by the rules.

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
Passport stamps are not the only proof that an immigration officer has at his finger tips.
A lot of data is shared in the Schengen zone. And a lot of that is shared with EU countries out of the Schengen zone as well.

Be very careful. Any kind of fraud could get you banned from entry into the Schengen zone for a long time. The UK seems to use a minimum of a 10 year ban of any kind of entry to the UK for any kind of fraudulent visa application or entry into the UK.

An overstay is less serious. You won't get banned for 10 years for overstaying. It will be a fine and at a worse a ban for a year so.

Play it by the rules.
Overstayers that I know from a 3rd country into Holland were refused re entry for 2 years.

AndersG

Visit site
EU countries, contrary to the beliefs of some, are able to set their own immigration /visitor regulations. A number, for example, have bilateral agreements with NZ, and others with Aus, that allow a six-month extension over the Schengen 90-day limit. These are between the two countries, and not related to 'the EU'.
Whether any are likely to sign up deals with perfidious Albion remains to be seen. As you say, tourist dollars may make a difference, but I suspect most tourist dollars come from the two-week summer break types and not the far smaller number who would stay longer than three months.
The agreements predates Schengen. Can't do any more bilateral agreements. Any EU country can off course issue visas to anyone they want.

jordanbasset

Visit site
She is hoping to wait 90 days then be let back in..... be interesting to see what happens

‘Horrendous’ British woman 'detained overnight in Spain over Brexit rule'
Find it difficult to believe she didn't know about the 90 day rule bearing in mind she had a house in Spain. But that to one side, interesting they stamped her out and let her leave and it was only when she came back in she was caught and deported. If nothing else it is a warning to others to stay within the rules or live with the consequences

sailaboutvic

Visit site
She was a criminal and to claim she didn't know the regulations is farcical,
You say that but just see how many after a year still post here asking for info on the rules and some who still quoted the rules wrong.
Theres still many who dont what know the rules ,
some still think after 90 days you have to stay out 180 days others think 90 day run one day after then next and many don't k now about counting back to day of entry, so I don't think it's that hard for this lady to be confused .

dunedin

Visit site
LOL its the Express writers, it refers not to her but to her treatment, she was treated like a criminal and put in a detention centre then deported
But surely she was an illegal immigrant by over staying the 90 days. Exactly how do you think an illegal immigrant would be treated arriving in the UK? Surely she would have been detained here as well if breaking UK immigration law.
However, if she is an Express reader it is perhaps understandable is she is not well informed of the consequences of recent changes which the paper promoted.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
You say that but just see how many after a year still post here asking for info on the rules and some who still quoted the rules wrong.
Theres still many who dont what know the rules ,
some still think after 90 days you have to stay out 180 days others think 90 day run one day after then next and many don't k now about counting back to day of entry, so I do n't think it's that hard for this lady to be confused .

Yes there is some confusion but what is known is that there is a limit on the time you can spend in the EU. If someone wants to know the actual facts rather than asking on a forum or Twitter or Instagram then they should check on government / EU web sites. An easy google search will show reliable official sites.

chrishscorp

Visit site
Plenty thought nothing would change, if she owns Spanish property and isnt allowed back for 2 years that will be fun.

Reading some of the comments below the article are entertaining, some say she broke the law and some say its all a misunderstanding as they need our tourisim and money, so plenty yet where the penny has yet to drop.

Poignard

Visit site
Plenty thought nothing would change, if she owns Spanish property and isnt allowed back for 2 years that will be fun.

Reading some of the comments below the article are entertaining, some say she broke the law and some say its all a misunderstanding as they need our tourisim and money, so plenty yet where the penny has yet to drop.
Yes, her British sense of entitlement came a cropper there.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Yes there is some confusion but what is known is that there is a limit on the time you can spend in the EU. If someone wants to know the actual facts rather than asking on a forum or Twitter or Instagram then they should check on government / EU web sites. An easy google search will show reliable official sites.
Again some are not as good as others with the internet .
I know some very well educated crusing who have real problem finding anything on the net and when they do it's not that easy to understand .
I been trying to read a HMRC site on some info I wanted,
having dyslexia I tho it was me then I passed it to my son to read whos well educated he too couldn't make heads or tails of it , he ask his account and was told she will contract HMRC and ask them to explain what it means .
No wonder the man/women in the street are confused .
She possibly found a job worth ,
Or possibly the out come won't be what was written ,

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Again some are not as good as others with the internet .
I know some very well educated crusing who have real problem finding anything on the net and when they do it's not that easy to understand .
I been trying to read a HMRC site on some info I wanted,
having dyslexia I tho it was me then I passed it to my son to read whos well educated he too couldn't make heads or tails of it , he ask his account and was told she will contract HMRC and ask them to explain what it means .
No wonder the man/women in the street are confused .
She possibly found a job worth ,
Or possibly the out come won't be what was written ,

Don't know your specific issue with the HRMC site but in the context of the 90 / 180 day rule it's very clear and can be found in simple terms on a number of sites. The problem arises when people for whatever reason think they are a special case, there are no special cases.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
There are many many people who don't understand rules which is why there so many posting on all sort of stuff here.
Just because someone here thinks they can find the answer for everything , that doesn't mean everyone else can .
Believe it or not some don't even know there a gov .UK site.
To top that as I said many time what written and what happen are two very different things .
Which is why many haven't used they boat this last year while others have had a nice year sailing .