90/180 days

st599

Visit site
That's a possibility, most private policies cover specific dates and geographic areas of cover and if policyholder is outside those limits, there could be a problem. OTOH, EHIC is just an international billing agreement for treatment and AFAIK only limits countries covered so why should that be invalid?

I suspect until ETIAS is up and running, a blind eye is being turned in most places, vaccination status being more important. I've yet to meet anyone who's had overstay problems and I know a few who've been through passport control well over the limit, without comment.
ETIAS is a pre-authorisation scheme due in 2023
EES is the harmonised entry and exit system database which will replace border guards checking stamps in 2022.

EES is probably more important as it requires you to enter and exit via a place with a biometric scanner and will also be able to autocalculate your allowances.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I've yet to meet anyone who's had overstay problems and I know a few who've been through passport control well over the limit, without comment.
I think many here be shocked the amount of people as my self then not left the EU in 2021 ,
And to be honest I only left because I not seen family for two years now .

billskip

Visit site
OTOH, EHIC is just an international billing agreement for treatment and AFAIK only limits countries covered so why should that be invalid?
Technically if you have overstayed 90 days you are illegal, would that not make the EHIC invalid?
If there is a way that the gov can refuse to pay or claw money back, they will.
If a pensioner drops dead they want their overpaid monies back for part of the week after death. Well they did for my father,and they were onto me about it before he was cremated.

Last edited:

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Technically if you have overstayed 90 days you are illegal, would that not make the EHIC invalid?
If there is a way that the gov can refuse to pay or claw money back, they will.
If a pensioner drops dead they want their overpaid monies back for part of the week after death. Well they did for my father,and they were onto me about it before he was cremated.
EHIC is designed for tourists, short stays etc. The Greek Gov. website certainly says you need other medical cover as EHIC is only for max. 90 days. I'm pretty certain I read the same thing on UK Gov. site. I believe it has probably been that way for years but nobody checked. The 90 day limit (not the 90 in 180 days) always required EU citizens to register for longer stays. Of course nobody bothered and it would be difficult to check. I used to get regular injections and EHIC was always fine and I'd probably get away with it next year. I have a valid EHIC and my passport won't have a stamp.

I'll try to find a link but suspect Brexit means UK Gov. will just talk about 90/180 days.

Last edited:

dslittle

Visit site
EHIC is designed for tourists, short stays etc. The Greek Gov. website certainly says you need other medical cover as EHIC is only for max. 90 days. I'm pretty certain I read the same thing on UK Gov. site. I believe it has probably been that way for years but nobody checked. The 90 day limit (not the 90 in 180 days) always required EU citizens to register for longer stays. Of course nobody bothered and it would be difficult to check.

I absolutely don’t doubt this information BUT, when we applied for our Residency in France, they accepted our EHIC as proof of medical insurance. As others have said, not everywhere is applying the Brussels rules to the letter.

Still, I would not rely on Google (or here) in any future discussions with officialdom if I needed to depend upon it. As Vic has said, we all make our own judgement calls…

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I absolutely don’t doubt this information BUT, when we applied for our Residency in France, they accepted our EHIC as proof of medical insurance. As others have said, not everywhere is applying the Brussels rules to the letter.

Still, I would not rely on Google (or here) in any future discussions with officialdom if I needed to depend upon it. As Vic has said, we all make our own judgement calls…

EHIC & GHIC info here - Applying for healthcare cover abroad (GHIC and EHIC) - NHS (www.nhs.uk) We're not entitled to them as we have health cover under residence so have Portuguese issued ones.

dslittle

Visit site

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

I wasn't relying on Google. The EHIC information came directly from a Greek official wrt various routes for my wife's paperwork to remain in Greece for more than 90 days in 180 days. I also need to complete some paperwork as an EU citizen even if she applies in her own right (under Brexit agreement). We both require medical insurance and were told EHIC was only valid for 90 days. I queried it in case it was just a local inventing their own rules and got a link to a Greek Gov. website explaining it very clearly. No wiggle room and I'll see if I can find the link again. A friend used a lawyer in a different area and he said exactly the same thing.

I'm pretty certain I have the correct information regarding Greece. However, it's Greece and I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone managed with only EHIC when dealing with another official. No idea what they do in France.

Last edited:

westernman

www.devalk.nl
To be honest I think Greece be the last place where anyone wouldn't be bothered ,
I had more dealing with PP then anywhere else in Europe.
I don't believe unless someone is constantly caught over staying that they going to be barred , maybe refuse entry for X months or till their next 90 days are up ,
Europe is despair for tourists .
Yes, but only for the right kind of tourists.

Those are those who spend a lot of money and do not need any health care.
At the moment, the favourites are the Chinese ahead of the Americans.
Both have short vacations and spend a lot in a short time.

The right kind of tourists are not poor, old fart live-aboards.

dslittle

Visit site
I wasn't relying on Google. The EHIC information came directly from a Greek official wrt various routes for my wife's paperwork to remain in Greece for more than 90 days in 180 days. I also need to complete some paperwork as an EU citizen even if she applies in her own right (under Brexit agreement). We both require medical insurance and were told EHIC was only valid for 90 days. I queried it in case it was just a local inventing their own rules and got a link to a Greek Gov. website explaining it very clearly. No wiggle room and I'll see if I can find the link again. A friend used a lawyer in a different area and he said exactly the same thing.

I'm pretty certain I have the correct information regarding Greece. However, it's Greece and I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone managed with only EHIC when dealing with another official. No idea what they do in France.

I wasn’t suggesting that you had used Google but others have and do.

I never doubted your information and I have no idea what would happen to us if we fell ill after 90 days in Country in relation to the EHIC, I’m just saying that the Prefecture we went to accepted it as proof of Insurance.

On the other hand, we do have Travel Insurance so it’s not really relevant to us…

nortada

Visit site
A very interesting thread with loads of interesting point, the only problem can be to separate actual experience from conjecture. Actual experience is valuable but conjecture offers little and can just confuse.

Furthermore, today actual experience is no indicator of how the future will pan out.

billskip

Visit site
A very interesting thread with loads of interesting point, the only problem can be to separate actual experience from conjecture. Actual experience is valuable but conjecture offers little and can just confuse.

Furthermore, today actual experience is no indicator of how the future will pan out.
You really should be a politician ?

BurnitBlue

Visit site
There is an elephant in the room which cannot be ignored. After the first and second world war it is said that 20 million people were wiped out by the end of each conflict. At the moment I have heard that by the time Covid 19 is under control there will be another 20 million casualties. This means a simiar manpower shortage. Some will remember the USA, , Australia, Canada, Europe offering free passage and citizenship for years afterwards to anyone who could walk.

Governments are already concerned. USA has thrown its southern border wide open, uk same if they bring a dinghy with them,

Imagine the following conversation at the border next year. Border guard asks for papers. Thank you Doctor, i see you are a professor of virology from Oxford. Enjoy your stay but remember to be out of here before 90 days. NEXT. Who are you, he asks a small brown chap. I see, no shoes, no money, no passport, tell me what you are doing here? Emmm. I see. You can pick cotton, squash grapes, collect friut. Emmm, Welcome to your new home. Here is a temporary pass, stay as long as you like. NEXT.

Poignard

Visit site
There is an elephant in the room which cannot be ignored. After the first and second world war it is said that 20 million people were wiped out by the end of each conflict. At the moment I have heard that by the time Covid 19 is under control there will be another 20 million casualties. This means a simiar manpower shortage. Some will remember the USA, , Australia, Canada, Europe offering free passage and citizenship for years afterwards to anyone who could walk.

Governments are already concerned. USA has thrown its southern border wide open, uk same if they bring a dinghy with them,

Imagine the following conversation at the border next year. Border guard asks for papers. Thank you Doctor, i see you are a professor of virology from Oxford. Enjoy your stay but remember to be out of here before 90 days. NEXT. Who are you, he asks a small brown chap. I see, no shoes, no money, no passport, tell me what you are doing here? Emmm. I see. You can pick cotton, squash grapes, collect friut. Emmm, Welcome to your new home. Here is a temporary pass, stay as long as you like. NEXT.
Yes, I remember West Indian nurses being recruited by the Dept of Health under Enoch Powell because there was a shortage.

Homer J

Visit site

Hmmmm. There were 2.5 billion people in the world at the end of WW2 now there are 8 billion so as a %????

Aren’t most of the worlds thorniest problems as result of over population?

I’m not an expert (nor am I having a go), I’d be interested in hearing from anyone more knowledgeable than me.

Poignard

Visit site
Hmmmm. There were 2.5 billion people in the world at the end of WW2 now there are 8 billion so as a %????

Aren’t most of the worlds thorniest problems as result of over population?

I’m not an expert (nor am I having a go), I’d be interested in hearing from anyone more knowledgeable than me.
So who should live and who should not?

Who decides and using what criteria?

Homer J

Visit site
perfectly valid and relevant point but I wasn’t coming at it from that angle. Not being a deity it is not my decision and I agree everyone has an equal right - very difficult moral questions.

I was actually responding to the previous comments about opening borders which seems to be an economic approach

BurnitBlue

Visit site
One thing is probable, depending on Covid varients, highly educated acedemics could find themselves at the back of the immigration queue behind those necessary workers that can keep society running.

All I am saying is that the manpower shortage can turn todays expectations upside down.