90/180 days

billskip

Visit site
But - and I may be wrong - all EU citizens presently have 180/360 access to the UK. The CA's argument is that we should have reciprical arrangements from them. I''ve not really understood what the UK's role in all of this actually is. It is the EU declining to reciprocate. Tell me where I am going wrong if I am.

And this is NOT about freedom of movement. It is about holidaying which is a different thing and involves no work. You would need (as a UK citizen) to get a work permit for that. Let's hope billskip doesn't have any more friend's cards.
Having friends and cards is an advantage ?
However...what the individual countries do is one thing , how the schengen rules have priority over the whole EU is another.
When schengen kicks in, in 2023, (?) It could be a whole different ball game.

syvictoria

Visit site
Having friends and cards is an advantage ?
However...what the individual countries do is one thing , how the schengen rules have priority over the whole EU is another.
When schengen kicks in, in 2023, (?) It could be a whole different ball game.

Schengen is longstanding and current. It's Etias that will soon be implemented.

dgadee

Visit site
AFAIA, the EU wanted an arrangement that was applicable to all citizens travelling in either direction, visa-waived. The UK government wanted the ability to be able to refuse entry.

In fact, I'm not even sure if the current 180 offered by the UK is even in 360? I think EU citizens can be granted almost back to back visas facilitating even longer stays?

Why can Britons only stay 90 days and EU visitors to UK 180?

Edit to add: The 180 days for EU citizens is the UK's fall back position for all third country citizens I believe. The EU's is 90 days as we are currently being offered, albeit visa-waived.

If it's accurate that article does explain what is going on. Thanks.

goeasy123

Visit site
AFAIA, the EU wanted an arrangement that was applicable to all citizens travelling in either direction, visa-waived. The UK government wanted the ability to be able to refuse entry.

In fact, I'm not even sure if the current 180 offered by the UK is even in 360? I think EU citizens can be granted almost back to back visas facilitating even longer stays?

Why can Britons only stay 90 days and EU visitors to UK 180?

Edit to add: The 180 days for EU citizens is the UK's fall back position for all third country citizens I believe. The EU's is 90 days as we are currently being offered, albeit visa-waived.
Spain wanted to agree a reciprocal arrangement with the UK as allowed by EU rules. Spaniards can currently have consecutive 180 days in the UK. Any such reciprocal agreement must be agreed by both sides. The UK refused to do this, so UK citizens do not have the same rights in Spain. It seems illogical, but there is a good reason behind it.... if you want to know?

Poignard

Visit site
What other explanation is there for freezing (not giving annual increases) to expats state pensions?
I don't know because I am not expert in these matters. That's why I hope that, having made your claim which, for all I know may be a perfectly valid one, you could come up with evidence to back it up.

If I had to give an opinion on it I might have suggested that it had to do with state pensions being paid out of current revenue and not out of a fund. So that those who no longer pay any UK tax do not benefit from from pension increases funded by those who do.

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
I don't know because I am not expert in these matters. That's why I hope that, having made your claim which, for all I know may be a perfectly valid one, you could come up with evidence to back it up.

If I had to give an opinion on it I might have suggested that it had to do with state pensions being paid out of current revenue and not out of a fund. So that those who no longer pay any UK tax do not benefit from from pension increases funded by those who do.

But I am only a simple engineer and that's whyI have to rely on you money men to explain financialy matters to me.

But I am only a simple engineer and that's whyI have to rely on you money men to explain financialy matters to me.
Well you dont really have to rely on info on a yachting forum do you?
If it is correct you can find it.
If it is not correct you can find that also.

Poignard

Visit site
Why should I do your work for you? You made a statement (which, for all I know, may well be valid) but you seem unwilling to back it up with evidence. Until you do, it remains no more than an assertion.

shan

Visit site
It's a reasonable expectation that if someone makes a statement, that they should be able to back it up and polite enought to do so, instead of resorting to playground antics of 'find it yourself'.