90/180 days

syvictoria

Visit site
As I mentioned in my original post, we had our passports stamped on entry to Greece and I actually thought our passports would be stamped on entry back in to the UK, to prove we had left Schengen, this is not the case and the very nice border control man at Manchester didn't know what to suggest, that is why I have asked the question. Oh and by the way, I'm not looking for sympathy, just some advice.

Sorry, but it's an official in Schengen that has to provide the exit stamp. The situation has nothing to do with UK border control.

jacaldo

Visit site
Sorry, but it's an official in Schengen that has to provide the exit stamp. The situation has nothing to do with UK border control.
Yes unfortunately I realise that now and I'm sure I won't be the only one that makes this mistake. Until ETIAS goes live next year I will make sure I get exit stamps from every shengen country I pass through. I wonder what will happen if we don't get on the ETIAS list, we will have to be extra vigilant. As it happens my entry stamp into Greece is unreadable, something else to double check and make sure the official stamps it properly.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
Don't know if this reply is directed at me, but I will answer as if it is. I'm well aware of the necessary travel arrangements that were required to visit Greece while we (UK) were part of the European Union.
All I was suggesting was that we have all had five years to adapt to becoming a third country with all the implications for travel. There are dedicated forums for non EU passport holders (who have been dealing with a 90 day limitation for years) which can give some insight into the complications we have brought upon ourselves.
I have been vocal on these forums about my decision to deal with the loss of my former lifestyle by commissioning a larger boat that will permit me to cross oceans and leave EU. I have long since given up any wish to call UK home.

Kelpie

Visit site
All I was suggesting was that we have all had five years to adapt to becoming a third country.

You make it sound as though everybody knew exactly what the situation was going to be, back in June 2016. If you had the foresight to predict exactly how Brexit would unfold, well done you. But can I point out that at the time lots of people were going on about remaining in the single market, having a comprehensive deal, a 'Norway for Now' option, etc etc. And some of these people were running the country.

In reality a lot of people don't know what the situation is now, let alone five years ago. And unfortunately this may include border officials in other countries.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

You make it sound as though everybody knew exactly what the situation was going to be, back in June 2016. If you had the foresight to predict exactly how Brexit would unfold, well done you. But can I point out that at the time lots of people were going on about remaining in the single market, having a comprehensive deal, a 'Norway for Now' option, etc etc. And some of these people were running the country.

At the risk of being accused of fred drift, Theresa May announced in Jan 2017 that the UK was leaving the EU single market and therefore that our freedom of movement in the EU would end so we all had 4 yrs to prepare for visiting the EU as a 3rd country citizen

FWIW I visited France recently and I made sure that the French passport officer date stamped my passport when I passed through passport control to the departure gate to fly back to the UK. Certainly for me the 90/180 day limit is going to have to be carefully managed given that I visit the EU for business as well as pleasure

jacaldo

Visit site
At the risk of being accused of fred drift, Theresa May announced in Jan 2017 that the UK was leaving the EU single market and therefore that our freedom of movement in the EU would end so we all had 4 yrs to prepare for visiting the EU as a 3rd country citizen

FWIW I visited France recently and I made sure that the French passport officer date stamped my passport when I passed through passport control to the departure gate to fly back to the UK. Certainly for me the 90/180 day limit is going to have to be carefully managed given that I visit the EU for business as well as pleasure
Not thread drift but unfortunately it doesn't help me.
I genuinely thought our passports would be stamped on entry to the UK now we can't use EU border control lanes.
Getting them stamped on exit from Greece doesn't actually prove to future border control officers that we have left Shengen, so obviously we will have to make sure our last schengen country stamps us out.
You live and learn but for now we will keep proof of our arrival back into the uk in the shape of electronic day 2 test results.

syvictoria

Visit site
Not thread drift but unfortunately it doesn't help me.
I genuinely thought our passports would be stamped on entry to the UK now we can't use EU border control lanes.
Getting them stamped on exit from Greece doesn't actually prove to future border control officers that we have left Shengen, so obviously we will have to make sure our last schengen country stamps us out.
You live and learn but for now we will keep proof of our arrival back into the uk in the shape of electronic day 2 test results.

Sorry, I had assumed that you'd returned directly from Greece. It is indeed border control in the first and last Schengen countries that you visit that need to stamp your passport/log your visit.

jacaldo

Visit site
Sorry, I had assumed that you'd returned directly from Greece. It is indeed border control in the first and last Schengen countries that you visit that need to stamp your passport/log your visit.

Looks like I'm confusing the issue, yes we did return directly from Greece. I was just adding the point of making sure it's the last Schengen country that stamps the Passport. ?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

The 90/180 rule has no effect on the vast majority of UK residents(and forumites) who just spend their short term holidays in the EU so very little mainstream discussion about it during negotiations. Most of us who spend longer in the EU were aware of the situation but there are still quite a few who are still coming to terms with it as are those new to sailing and still dreaming of heading into the Med in retirement.

Covid has confused the situation for 18 months and it will most likely be next year before everyone knows where we stand in practice with officialdom.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

The 90/180 rule has no effect on the vast majority of UK residents(and forumites) who just spend their short term holidays in the EU so very little mainstream discussion about it during negotiations. Most of us who spend longer in the EU were aware of the situation but there are still quite a few who are still coming to terms with it as are those new to sailing and still dreaming of heading into the Med in retirement.

Covid has confused the situation for 18 months and it will most likely be next year before everyone knows where we stand in practice with officialdom.

Not sure about that. It was discussed at length on the Current Affairs forum but yes I agree that the vast majority of UK people are not affected by the 90/180 rule

And to be honest, I do wonder how rigorously it will be enforced in many EU countries and in the long run of course it is very likely that a future UK govt will negotiate a closer relationship with the EU which may well allow Brits more favourable access to the EU than 90/180

Portofino

Visit site
Anatomically there is a part called the neck that attaches the head to the body .
So in normal function the head goes where the body takes it .

If there wasn’t a neck , you can bet your bottom dollar some folks would leave there head behind and loose it .
Then start a thread “ Mind you do not forget your head “ “ I have lost my head “ :D .

Deleted User ‘s recent post Brexit behaviour at customs posts ( seeking stamps esp on rtn ) does not fall into that category.

Quiddle

Visit site
I don't think there is any consistency on stamping, even in individual countries. I've flown twice this year France-UK. Got stamped out of CDG though I had no entry stamp as I'd entered Schengen before Brexit day. Not stamped out of Beauvais two weeks ago and not stamped in as I'd arrived by private boat at Calais and the Police aux Frontiers, where I was directed to go, are closed at the weekend! Was stamped in and out of Dieppe on the ferry in June.
Coincidently, I was also boarded by customs whilst anchored off Muros in April and had no stamp as I'd entered Schengen pre-Brexit and hadn't been ashore in Spain. The Aduana were quite happy and did not stamp my passport.

syvictoria

Visit site
I don't think there is any consistency on stamping, even in individual countries. I've flown twice this year France-UK. Got stamped out of CDG though I had no entry stamp as I'd entered Schengen before Brexit day. Not stamped out of Beauvais two weeks ago and not stamped in as I'd arrived by private boat at Calais and the Police aux Frontiers, where I was directed to go, are closed at the weekend! Was stamped in and out of Dieppe on the ferry in June.
Coincidently, I was also boarded by customs whilst anchored off Muros in April and had no stamp as I'd entered Schengen pre-Brexit and hadn't been ashore in Spain. The Aduana were quite happy and did not stamp my passport.

That may all be so, but sadly it doesn't change the fact that the next official you encounter may take a more formal attitude and the onus is on you to ensure that you have obtained all the necessary stamps. Otherwise the consequence is potentially deportation from the EU and/or refusal of future entry into the bloc.

Bad analogy, but it's like running out of petrol because you didn't look for or travel to a garage!

jacaldo

Visit site
Anatomically there is a part called the neck that attaches the head to the body .
So in normal function the head goes where the body takes it .

If there wasn’t a neck , you can bet your bottom dollar some folks would leave there head behind and loose it .
Then start a thread “ Mind you do not forget your head “ “ I have lost my head “ :D .

Deleted User ‘s recent post Brexit behaviour at customs posts ( seeking stamps esp on rtn ) does not fall into that category.

It's a pity all the replies to my post couldn't be as helpful as yours. I'll make sure to pm you first the next time I need some advice, it would save me the trouble of asking anyone else.

Portofino

Visit site
That may all be so, but sadly it doesn't change the fact that the next official you encounter may take a more formal attitude and the onus is on you to ensure that you have obtained all the necessary stamps. Otherwise the consequence is potentially deportation from the EU and/or refusal of future entry into the bloc.

Bad analogy, but it's like running out of petrol because you didn't look for or travel to a garage!
It’s a better analogy than mine .:)

st599

Visit site
not stamped in as I'd arrived by private boat at Calais and the Police aux Frontiers, where I was directed to go, are closed at the weekend!
Technically/Legally, the fact the police aren't open on weekends has no bearing on it - you're meant to wait until they are open.

st599

Visit site
I do wonder how rigorously it will be enforced in many EU countries and in the long run of course it is very likely that a future UK govt will negotiate a closer relationship with the EU which may well allow Brits more favourable access to the EU than 90/180

Once automated, I doubt individual states will have any wiggle room - if the automated system says you overstayed, it will be hard to prove otherwise.

As for more favourable access - it was offered by the EU and rejected. It will need a change in management of UK PLC.