90/180 days

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I thought the same until on the return trip from italy my wife called me from the airport to say they were rigorously checking schengen days on peoples passports. The Japanese couple in the next queue had overstayed and were being hauled up for it.

At that point i checked my days and with only 14 days left, a plan was quickly formed and we set sail for Croatia, checking out the Schengen area with only 6 days remaining..... close call me thinks
We had friends who flew back yesterday from Sicily at Catania airport they just when throught and scan their passport although they where both well over they 90 days and alarm sounded nothing said .
Be interesting to see if when they fly back if they are pulled.

syvictoria

Visit site
We had friends who flew back yesterday from Sicily at Catania airport they just when throught and scan their passport although they where both well over they 90 days and alarm sounded nothing said .
Be interesting to see if when they fly back if they are pulled.

Out of curiosity, did they arrive in Schengen in 2020 or 2021?

dgadee

Visit site
Yes and they are also part of the EEA and have freedom of movement within the EU

Probably I am wrong but I thought they had free movement of workers, not free movement of persons. I seem to remember that from travel there. Correct me, please.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Can tyou explain this - How to Retire to Norway - which I thought showed on one issue the difference between free movement of workers and free movement of persons. My understanding is that the two are not identical.
There is no difference between Norway and the other countries with free movement. It is the same rules.

In all countries as a retiree you have to prove you have sufficient resources and income. Then you have a right to live there as an EU citizen.

What is sufficient varies from country to country. Obviously. Norway is horrendously expensive - so what is sufficient there is considerably higher than what is sufficient for Roumania for example.

For countries with free movement, employers are required to consider candidates from those countries on an equal standing as its own citizens. Candidates from other countries can only be considered when there is no suitable candidate from any EU country or the countries with freedom of movement.

Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are part of the EU freedom of movement.

As a citizen of another country such as Angola or the UK, then more stringent rules will apply and will be different from EU country to EU country.

Some countries have specific arrangements with some other specific countries. For instance it is easy for some one from Brazil to take a job in Portugal. But very difficult for a Brazilian to get a job in France.

dgadee

Visit site
There is no difference between Norway and the other countries with free movement. It is the same rules.

In all countries as a retiree you have to prove you have sufficient resources and income. Then you have a right to live there as an EU citizen.

What is sufficient varies from country to country. Obviously. Norway is horrendously expensive - so what is sufficient there is considerably higher than what is sufficient for Roumania for example.

For countries with free movement, employers are required to consider candidates from those countries on an equal standing as its own citizens. Candidates from other countries can only be considered when there is no suitable candidate from any EU country or the countries with freedom of movement.

Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are part of the EU freedom of movement.

As a citizen of another country such as Angola or the UK, then more stringent rules will apply and will be different from EU country to EU country.

Some countries have specific arrangements with some other specific countries. For instance it is easy for some one from Brazil to take a job in Portugal. But very difficult for a Brazilian to get a job in France.

Are you retired to Spain? Once again, I may be totally wrong, but to live in Spain as an EU citizen you don't require any residence permits. You need to pay tax, of course, which involves formality.

Are you Norwegian? It was a Norwegian who told me about the differences between work and persons.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Are you retired to Spain? Once again, I may be totally wrong, but to live in Spain as an EU citizen you don't require any residence permits. You need to pay tax, of course, which involves formality.

Are you Norwegian? It was a Norwegian who told me about the differences between work and persons.
For a EU citizen to take a job in another EU country is a right under the freedom of movement rules. No need to justify anything else other than a normal full time job offer.

To retire you have to satisfy the self sufficiency requirements.

What is required in the way of permits etc, is up to the country to implement (and countries are different).
For instance, in Germany I believe you have to register at town hall of the town you are taking up residence.
For instance in France you can get a Carte de Sejour as an EU citizen. But you do not have to get it. But it makes life easier to justify identify in many circumstances.

That is the difference between work and persons and is common to all EU countries + Norway, Switzerland, etc.

Read up on the EU websites what freedom of movement means. Norway is not in any way special in this respect.

Anyway, who the hell would want to retire to Norway?
There is only so much herring some one can eat.

AndersG

Visit site

Any EU or Schengen citizen has the right to unlimited travel in EU or to get a job there without a permit but for those that want live somewhere without working the host country can have requirements on income and that you have a medical insurance.

billskip

Visit site
Any EU or Schengen citizen has the right to unlimited travel in EU or to get a job there without a permit but for those that want live somewhere without working the host country can have requirements on income and that you have a medical insurance.
Not true, a german couple I was talking to at the immigration police office, I asked why they were there as they were EU citizens, they said they had to apply for a work permit to be officially allowed to work in Spain. Also all people EU citizens or not are supposed to report their existence in Spain if they exceed 90 days and have to apply for permission to exceed 183 days

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Not true, a german couple I was talking to at the immigration police office, I asked why they were there as they were EU citizens, they said they had to apply for a work permit to be officially allowed to work in Spain. Also all people EU citizens or not are supposed to report their existence in Spain if they exceed 90 days and have to apply for permission to exceed 183 days
I think you are confusing registration with asking for permission.

For instance, (this may be out of date), anybody (German, EU citizen or foreigner) who lives in Germany has to register with the town hall within 3 days.

billskip

Visit site
I don't think I am confusing anything, but I may be confused by what I am reading.

I really don't understand why all this is difficult, if people speak tho the authorities of the specific countries in question they will get the answer that are correct as opposed to Google and hearsay.

billskip

Visit site

For instance, (this may be out of date), anybody (German, EU citizen or foreigner) who lives in Germany has to register with the town hall within 3 days.
Also which bit of Anders post quote "Any EU or Schengen citizen has the right to unlimited travel in the EU or to get a job there without a permit " have I confused?

We all have a right to unlimited travel for a period of 90 days, after that the rules and regulations kick in, different rules and regs for EU citizens maybe ,but there are still
rules and regs.

dgadee

Visit site
We'll, I am not yet persuaded. There is a difference between work rights and travel rights. Comments here seem to assume they are identical. For EU citizens, yes. For EEA members, not so sure.

I'm not retiring anywhere. Have just moved and have no intention of ever moving again. Last time I was in Oslo, beer was perhaps 3 times the price back home. Outwih my budget, I fear. So definitely not Norway.

AndersG

Visit site
German citizens do not require a work permit in Spain but they do need to register on the Padron and get a NIE number.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

Registration is different for different countries and you are supposed to register after 90 days. Of course nobody bothers in places like Greece or Spain etc. and probably not elsewhere. No passport stamping for EU citizens and therefore no big red flag when going through passport control. Unless you have a spouse with a UK passport.:D

I have read in several places that I can be fined for overstaying 90 days without registering and the same is true for my wife with her UK passport (as long as we are together). I have also read that "neither of us can be expelled" solely on the grounds of staying longer than 90 days. That aligns with a requirement to register but not gain permission.

Other threads that may be of interest