90/180 days

Forty_Two

Visit site
Except when you move from one with the visa exemption to another Schengen country that applies the 90 /180 rule and you have exceeded your 90 days in Schengen territories.
If you have a French long stay visa, for say 5 months, that does not use any of your Schengen 90 days as long as you stay in France. So no problem then visiting another Schengen country immediately after.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
If you have a French long stay visa, for say 5 months, that does not use any of your Schengen 90 days as long as you stay in France. So no problem then visiting another Schengen country immediately after.

Yes it does France is in Schengen so in the 5 months you have surpassed the 90 day total so would not be able to go to another Schengen country

Forty_Two

Visit site
Yes it does France is in Schengen so in the 5 months you have surpassed the 90 day total so would not be able to go to another Schengen country
Gosh I'd never have known ???

I will email TLScontact, the agency that handles visas for France in the UK. Will come back when i have a confirmed answer. They are helpful but may be a while at this time of the year. I wont bother with any other quotes on this, it's time for a definitive answer ?

greeny

Visit site
I don't believe this is correct. It's the same principle as residency- you effectively stop your Schengen clock in one country, preserving the 90 days for use elsewhere.
I agree. It does seem that some people really don't know the rules as well as they thought they did. :)

nortada

Visit site
I don't believe this is correct. It's the same principle as residency- you effectively stop your Schengen clock in one country, preserving the 90 days for use elsewhere.
That is my understanding.

Days spent by a Brit in their EU country of residence do not count against their 90 day limit in other EU countries.

A simple practical example; a Brit holding Portuguese residency could spend all winter in Portugal and then cruise the rest of the EU for up to 90 days before either leaving the EU or returning to Portuguese waters. Clearly there are many other permutation of this basic principle.

ean_p

Visit site
I think the Father may be right here in that the visa is effectively a 90 day extension only valid in the country of issue....

jordanbasset

Visit site
I suspect this person may be just the tip of the iceberg and many others may have been caught by failing to follow the 90 day rules. The difference in this case is that she chose to make it public, while I would expect most would be too embarrassed with their own failure to follow the rules.
The old saying if you can't do the time don't do the crime seems applicable here

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
If you get the 6 month French long stay tourist visa you preserve your 90 day no visa position in addition. TLS will confirm that

That's not how I interpret this - Long-stay visa | France-Visas.gouv.fr

During its period of validity, the long-stay visa is equivalent to a Schengen visa, enabling you to move around and stay in the Schengen Area outside France for periods not exceeding 90 days over any period of 180 consecutive days, under the same conditions as if you held a Schengen visa.

Forty_Two

Visit site
That's not how I interpret this - Long-stay visa | France-Visas.gouv.fr

During its period of validity, the long-stay visa is equivalent to a Schengen visa, enabling you to move around and stay in the Schengen Area outside France for periods not exceeding 90 days over any period of 180 consecutive days, under the same conditions as if you held a Schengen visa.
Remember not all other countries have an automatic Schenben 90 day visa as the UK does. Consequently for us a French longstay visa adds to our ability whereas for some they would only have the visa period.

Anyway as promised I have emailed TLScontact for clarification for a UK resident.

Visit site
Remember not all other countries have an automatic Schenben 90 day visa as the UK does. Consequently for us a French longstay visa adds to our ability whereas for some they would only have the visa period.

Anyway as promised I have emailed TLScontact for clarification for a UK resident.
UK residente or UK Citizen ?

Visit site

UK residente or UK Citizen ?

Other threads that may be of interest