90/180 days

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
There are many many people who don't understand rules which is why there so many posting on all sort of stuff here.
Just because someone here thinks they can find the answer for everything , that doesn't mean everyone else can .
Believe it or not some don't even know there a gov .UK site.
To top that as I said many time what written and what happen are two very different things .
Which is why many haven't used they boat this last year while others have had a nice year sailing .

I think the vast majority of people understand rules, it's the few that think they don't apply to them or are hell bent on finding a way around the that cause the problems.
Your response about what is written and what applies is very typical of those few, it is just fortunate that countries have chosen or not been able to enforce the rules but will soon start too and all those winging it will start whinging and saying but but last year we got away with it. I have and will have no sympathy for them.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I think the vast majority of people understand rules, it's the few that think they don't apply to them or are hell bent on finding a way around the that cause the problems.
Your response about what is written and what applies is very typical of those few, it is just fortunate that countries have chosen or not been able to enforce the rules but will soon start too and all those winging it will start whinging and saying but but last year we got away with it. I have and will have no sympathy for them.
There will always be those who think the rules don't apply to them.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
See I disagree you just have to read posting here by the hundred people asking the same question over and over again and a lot of the time the reply are way off , which is why there all this discussion that go on and on .

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I see a few that are trying to find ways around the 90 /180 rule or wondering if they won't get caught just like you and you all know that it exists hoping that it will be changed but there is very little confusion if any.

greeny

Visit site
When you live in Portugal you soon realise that one country's/government department's/ capitainerie's/ member of the public's interpretation of the written law can be very different to another's. I'm sure this applies in other several other EU countries as well.
I think we all know how the 90 in 180 rule is supposed to work but governments will find ways to allow it to work to their advantage given their economy's needs.
At the the moment there seems to very little application of punishments for breaking the rule although passports are being stamped at most passport controls it would seem from the reports generally on here.
Different countries will eventually start applying the rules in different ways and we as individuals will have to comply with those requirements. But they may be subtly different from place to place allowing different freedoms to stay/move around.
This forum will be important to allow this information to be shared, thus allowing cruisers to take advantage of the different countries interpretations.
No one will be breaking any laws according to the country they are in at that time. They will just be maximising what they are being allowed to do.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I see a few that are trying to find ways around the 90 /180 rule or wondering if they won't get caught just like you and you all know that it exists hoping that it will be changed but there is very little confusion if any.
There reason why some people aren't worried about extending they stay.

They know what the rules are what countries apply what rules and in which way the rules are apply , most important is they are very aware of the risk and if getting caught justified doing what they do.

Sailing all about risks.

You and others may not like what they do,
The same as some people don't like the idea of people living on boats or in caravans.
but I doubt for one min they care what others think ,
What matters is if they are happy doing what they are doing.

I think everyone should get vaccinated aguist covid but who am I to run other people lives or say what they should do or don't do.
As long as people don't come back and post their tears if the worst happen it's no body business .

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
When you live in Portugal you soon realise that one country's/government department's/ capitainerie's/ member of the public's interpretation of the written law can be very different to another's. I'm sure this applies in other several other EU countries as well.
I think we all know how the 90 in 180 rule is supposed to work but governments will find ways to allow it to work to their advantage given their economy's needs.
At the the moment there seems to very little application of punishments for breaking the rule although passports are being stamped at most passport controls it would seem from the reports generally on here.
Different countries will eventually start applying the rules in different ways and we as individuals will have to comply with those requirements. But they may be subtly different from place to place allowing different freedoms to stay/move around.
This forum will be important to allow this information to be shared, thus allowing cruisers to take advantage of the different countries interpretations.
No one will be breaking any laws according to the country they are in at that time. They will just be maximising what they are being allowed to do.

The only way anyone will exist with any degree of certainty is by following the rules as individual countries apply them but even that could be problematic if you move from one country that is lax or allows longer to another country that applies the rules strictly. Once you start bending rules life becomes difficult and uncertain. I would also expect the EU to quietly counsel countries to follow the rules.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Here the real problem people will stop posting info of fear others will put the boot in because they don't like what being posted .
So no info will get shared here just like info how to extend the rules have stopped being posted and the only way people will find out what they can get away with and where is with other cruiser

jordanbasset

Visit site
What made the woman's excuse unbelievable to me was when she said
“I was obviously a bit naive but I wasn’t aware that I’m only allowed to stay in Spain for 90 days. I didn’t know anything had changed.”

Maybe people could get a little confused as to start and end dates, but for some one with a house in Spain to say she wasn't aware of the 90 days is silly.
In Spain amongst the Brit community it has been discussed for years as has getting residency. It was regularly highlighted in both the English language and Spanish newspapers.
I have met a couple of people like her who want to try and live under the radar. That's their choice, but when they get caught they shouldn't complain about it.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
There reason why some people aren't worried about extending they stay.

They know what the rules are what countries apply what rules and in which way the rules are apply , most important is they are very aware of the risk and if getting caught justified doing what they do.

Sailing all about risks.

You and others may not like what they do,
The same as some people don't like the idea of people living on boats or in caravans.
but I doubt for one min they care what others think ,
What matters is if they are happy doing what they are doing.

I think everyone should get vaccinated aguist covid but who am I to run other people lives or say what they should do or don't do.
As long as people don't come back and post their tears if the worst happen it's no body business .

I couldn't give a monkeys about what other people do or don't do, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if people that broke the 90 / 180 rule were put up against a wall and shot or conversely given a million euros. I simply put a point of view across which I believe is logical in the light of some very illogical actions by people and countries.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
All each government needs to do is create an easily obtained, long stay, tourist visa. Problem (mostly) sorted.

Except when you move from one with the visa exemption to another Schengen country that applies the 90 /180 rule and you have exceeded your 90 days in Schengen territories.

greeny

Visit site
Except when you move from one with the visa exemption to another Schengen country that applies the 90 /180 rule and you have exceeded your 90 days in Schengen territories.
You just avoid doing that or anything else that transgresses their rules. :)
That's why this forum is important for the sharing of this type of information and should not be used just to shoot down others. It may be a popular pastime on other forms of social media but it would be best if we were adult and kept it off here. ?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
You just avoid doing that or anything else that transgresses their rules.
That's why this forum is important for the sharing of this type of information and should not be used just to shoot down others. It may be a popular pastime on other forms of social media but it would be best if we were adult and kept it off here.

And that is quite simply done people abide by simple rules rather than seeking to circumvent them and asking opinions as to how successful they may be.

dunedin

Visit site
What made the woman's excuse unbelievable to me was when she said
“I was obviously a bit naive but I wasn’t aware that I’m only allowed to stay in Spain for 90 days. I didn’t know anything had changed.”
She is perhaps merely applying the same “very distant and tenuous link with the truth” that various august journals have said that various prominent members of the UK government (and a previous poll campaign) have applied.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
When we live in a country when a well known blond guy is confused if there was a party held in his own home how can anyone blane a women who confuse of the90/180 rules .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
She is perhaps merely applying the same “very distant and tenuous link with the truth” that various august journals have said that various prominent members of the UK government (and a previous poll campaign) have applied.
I'm not defending the women but I not sure where some people are coming from ,
there many people out there who really are confused , I still meeting crusing who convinced that 90 end at the end of 90 days ,
Also there them who have residents in one EU country and think they have free movement in the whole of the EU ,
Because it been talked about here for some time so most know of it , I say some because even here questions are still ask , it in no way mean everyone is well informed .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
And that is quite simply done people abide by simple rules rather than seeking to circumvent them and asking opinions as to how successful they may be.
And there the problem , the rules are not simple .
90/180 days in the EU ,
Malta part of the EU and anyone 3rd world cruisers can stay beony the 90 days .
Parts of Greece still don't except the vat rules that UK boat in the EU @ Dec 2020 don't need TL
Other part consider cross from Italy to Greece that the boat have left the EU, I can think of at less a doz more examples of mix messages and that not going to change , without any worry at all I can stay in the EU for the very less nine months .