90/180 days

nortada

Visit site
Well let's put it this way, why all the rush to get S1 and pension sorted before 31 December 2020?
Planning your healthcare

As I recall, S1 is a UK procedure for residents to transfer social services care from the UK to their new host country. Nothing to do with pension rights in the UK. However, as an aside, S1 confirms UK state pension holders have the continued right to free NHS care when in the U.K. Rather than just for the EU, S1 is world-wide.

Whilst, for obvious reasons, folk who could, wanted to establish their residency in an EU state before 31st Dec 2020, I wasn’t aware that there was a rush to contact Newcastle to sign into the S1 scheme?

However, once the Covid vaccines became available, residents possibly had to sign into the host country’s health system to get jabbed and this could require them to register with that country’s social security system but this wasn’t a universal requirement.

Hope this helps to put the record straight.

nortada

Visit site
When he says frozen he means they are not subject to any rise in rate.
I understand that but still to see any evidence that this is true? To the best of my knowledge, U.K. residents, who hold also residency in an EU state will still enjoy the annual upgrading in pension.

There was an increase in State Pensions earlier this year so possibly a Brit in the EU can confirm this one way or the other?

st599

Visit site
Link please?

Thought sovereign states have the final say on who enters their country.

How would that work when there are no borders within Schengen? Say Germany didn't want a person to enter, they could fly to Innsbruck and drive to Munich. The Sovereign states have shared responsibility via treaty. (Like we have with the Republic of Ireland)

With the centralisation of the system, I think the idea will be that it's no longer the within the purview of an individual border guard whether they're going to ignore an overstayer and if they're allowed in or not.

nortada

Visit site
How would that work when there are no borders within Schengen? Say Germany didn't want a person to enter, they could fly to Innsbruck and drive to Munich.

With the centralisation of the system, I think the idea will be that it's no longer the within the purview of an individual border guard whether they're allowed in or not.
Agree, once within Schengen there are no borders but there are still borders between individual EU countries and non-Schengen countries and these boarders are policed by the boarder authorities of that sovereign state, who can decide to permit or deny entry to their country by non-EU residents.

Of course, EU citizens have the right of entry to all EU states but Brits, who only have residency in a single EU state, are limited to right of access to that country. Once with in the Schengen Zone they are governed by the 90/180 rule in all other EU states but with no boarders it is difficult to see how this will be polices effectively.

A general observation, this thread is more applicable to those Brits who do not enjoy residency in an EU state.

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
Friends are travelling to Gib on Friday, I'll let you know how they get on. Feet on the ground info is what's important to travellers.
Another friend left Faro airport last week. 38 days over the 90. Not a word said at passport control. Stamped out of EU and a polite goodbye.
So as they clearly know the precise dates, why did they decide to stay longer than allowed? They were by definition illegal immigrants as a result. What basis did they think they had to put themselves above the laws of the country in which they were a guest.
Now clearly some officials in some countries are not applying the rules rigorously at the moment. But by breaking the rules, and becoming an illegal immigrant, an individual needs to consider the implications if they get caught. I haven’t personally studied the penalties for Schengen abuse, but others have suggested this could be a ban from returning to any a Schengen country. Is it worth taking that risk (particularly if may need to pay a delivery crew to move a boat out of Schengen if cannot then use it).

There are a lot of people who have assumed that local country laws are silly, and therefore they can ignore them. Fine if they don’t get caught, but it can all get very serious if suddenly taken to court in a foreign language in a foreign land. As they say “if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime”. Or in Scots terms - Ca Canny.

greeny

Visit site
I understand that but still to see any evidence that this is true? To the best of my knowledge, U.K. residents, who hold also residency in an EU state will still enjoy the annual upgrading in pension.

There was an increase in State Pensions earlier this year so possibly a Brit in the EU can confirm this one way or the other?
Portuguese resident uk pension. Got my rise ok this year.
AFAIK the pension is "locked" for expat uk ers when they live in foreign lands. But I believe it's not being applied to the EU country expats. No links but I've seen it somewhere. I got my rise this year so not an issue at the moment. But I don't get the winter fuel allowance.

billskip

Visit site
Portuguese resident uk pension. Got my rise ok this year.
AFAIK the pension is "locked" for expat uk ers when they live in foreign lands. But I believe it's not being applied to the EU country expats. No links but I've seen it somewhere. I got my rise this year so not an issue at the moment. But I don't get the winter fuel allowance.
This pension question is something I happened to mention as an example about why I and at least one other believe the gov doesnt want uk money spent abroad if they can prevent it.
The freezing or capping the pension applies to some countries not all ...and not the EU.
All the correct and relevant information about all the above is on the gov website.

What is happening re the 90/180 is the present situation which will be ironed out and more defined as to action taken by the EU over time

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
When he says frozen he means they are not subject to any rise in rate.

Only for certain countries, my state pension is indexed every year and my 3 company pensions are indexed in line with present day operation of the schemes. However if I was to live in Australia or a few other countries my state pension would have been frozen at the point I left the UK. It was one of the major concerns of pensioners in Europe when the UK left the EU would that change, to date it hasn't and it requires reciprocal agreements between countries to continue.

billskip

Visit site
Only for certain countries, my state pension is indexed every year and my 3 company pensions are indexed in line with present day operation of the schemes. However if I was to live in Australia or a few other countries my state pension would have been frozen at the point I left the UK. It was one of the major concerns of pensioners in Europe when the UK left the EU would that change, to date it hasn't and it requires reciprocal agreements between countries to continue.
Yes, as you say "to date it hasn't " ...but like the triple lock, they can move the posts to suit, and I certainly dont trust they wont.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
So as they clearly know the precise dates, why did they decide to stay longer than allowed? They were by definition illegal immigrants as a result. What basis did they think they had to put themselves above the laws of the country in which they were a guest.
Now clearly some officials in some countries are not applying the rules rigorously at the moment. But by breaking the rules, and becoming an illegal immigrant, an individual needs to consider the implications if they get caught. I haven’t personally studied the penalties for Schengen abuse, but others have suggested this could be a ban from returning to any a Schengen country. Is it worth taking that risk (particularly if may need to pay a delivery crew to move a boat out of Schengen if cannot then use it).

There are a lot of people who have assumed that local country laws are silly, and therefore they can ignore them. Fine if they don’t get caught, but it can all get very serious if suddenly taken to court in a foreign language in a foreign land. As they say “if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime”. Or in Scots terms - Ca Canny.
Some people seem to think that because they are British they cannot possibly be an illegal immigrant in Europe.

The consequences are likely to be that they will turned back at an airport they arrive at in the future. Or just as likely to be refused boarding by the airline before departing. Airlines do check because they get fined quite heavily for transporting illegal immigrants (i.e. people without the right paperwork or right to enter the country in question).

They might fine you, but probably not all that much and they probably could not be bothered to go through the hassle of doing it. But turning people back is easy and relatively hassle free.

You really do not want to risk this kind of thing. You might be excluded for a long period, or required to jump through major hoops to get a visa. ETIAS is not going to work for you.

greeny

Visit site
This pension question is something I happened to mention as an example about why I and at least one other believe the gov doesnt want uk money spent abroad if they can prevent it.
The freezing or capping the pension applies to some countries not all ...and not the EU.
All the correct and relevant information about all the above is on the gov website.

What is happening re the 90/180 is the present situation which will be ironed out and more defined as to action taken by the EU over time
Agree that time may well mean evolvement of the way the rules are being applied now. But what is happening right now is what is important to travellers of today.

billskip

Visit site
Agree that time may well mean evolvement of the way the rules are being applied now. But what is happening right now is what is important to travellers of today.
This is true if you want to interpret that you will be listened to when the axe falls.
The rules are the rules and they may be altered,but one thing is for sure there will be no excuse listened to when they are applied.
So learn the rules and run the gauntlet if you think it will never happen to you.

greeny

Visit site
This is true if you want to interpret that you will be listened to when the axe falls.
The rules are the rules and they may be altered,but one thing is for sure there will be no excuse listened to when they are applied.
So learn the rules and run the gauntlet if you think it will never happen to you.
Wow.
I thought 1984 was circa 37 years ago. :)
I never run the gauntlet. I am 100% legal and correct.
I'm just letting people know what is happening day to day. I don't see any problem in that.

billskip

Visit site
Wow.
I thought 1984 was circa 37 years ago. :)
I never run the gauntlet. I am 100% legal and correct.
I'm just letting people know what is happening day to day. I don't see any problem in that.
No problem at all, couldn't agree more...sadly 1984 is forever...
What is happening day to day is good info, but unfortunately
not to be relied on imho as one never knows when a law enforcement officer has been given a hard time by his wife.
Re reading my post with sailaboutvic comment, I apologise if it was taken as a directive, it is not meant that way,an certainly not against you.
My apologies.