90/180 days

jacaldo

Visit site
Just returned from 3 weeks sailing in Greece. Stamped into Greece on arrival so this will start the 180 day count down. Not stamped out in Greece on our way home, and no stamp in at UK border control.
So going by the passport stamp we are still in Greece, this means we are still using our Shengen allowance and in turn we will be wasting valuable days allowance. How do you stop and start the 90/180 days?
Hope this makes sense and I'm not repeating a question already asked.

syvictoria

Visit site
Just returned from 3 weeks sailing in Greece. Stamped into Greece on arrival so this will start the 180 day count down. Not stamped out in Greece on our way home, and no stamp in at UK border control.
So going by the passport stamp we are still in Greece, this means we are still using our Shengen allowance and in turn we will be wasting valuable days allowance. How do you stop and start the 90/180 days?
Hope this makes sense and I'm not repeating a question already asked.

I'm curious to know the answer to this. The stamp should have been obtained upon leaving Greece. Nothing AFAIK to do with UK border control and so I'm not sure how this can be rectified now that you're back home! I'm sure that others are likely to suffer the same problem however... At least ETIAS will remove this potential situation next year.

If the problem isn't rectified, and electronic proof can't be provided either, it's possible (worst case scenario) that you won't be permitted access back in to the Schengen area when you next attempt to visit. :eek:

Edited to add: In the absence of an easier or more sensible solution, perhaps a call to the Greek embassy will be required?

syvictoria

Visit site
Suggest keeping boarding card and payment invoice for the flight as proof of departure.

Yes, that would certainly be a good idea. However, strictly speaking, that's not actually proof of departure... Perhaps a boarding card together with a credit card bill showing spending in the UK imminently afterwards would carry more weight?

greeny

Visit site
The Wirral's a bit far from the channel ports for a day trip to France but maybe a long weekend somewhere from Liverpool airport and then get it stamped out when you leave. Oh yes, you could go to Ireland via Holyhead on the ferry couldn't you? Nice weekend away and get the clock reset.

Last edited:

Indigoed

Visit site
We kind of have the opposite problem in that we came into Greece via Preveza airport and didn’t get stamped in. I kinda guessed that they recorded our entry electronically and will do the same when we leave. This is different to my trip in May when we flew into Athens. On that occasion we were stamped in and out....

st599

Visit site
The Wirral'sA bit far from the channel ports for a day trip to France but maybe a long weekend somewhere from Liverpool airport and then get it stamped out when you leave. Oh yes, you could go to Ireland via Holyhead on the ferry couldn't you? Nice weekend away and get the clock reset.
Ireland's in the pre-EU Common Travel Area so no need for immigration - they may not be able to or equipped to stamp your passport.

Until the Schengen database goes live, I think traveling will be similar to using a Carnet - turn up early, hassle customs/immigration and hope you don't miss your flight or lose the Carnet bond.

nortada

Visit site
Suggest keeping boarding card and payment invoice for the flight as proof of departure.

In this case, seem to be the simplest solution but this whole thread opens ‘a can’ on the wider problem, which has been predicted over the past few years - negotiating Schengen 90/180.

Unless, you are a resident travelling direct between the UK and your host country, it is essential to establish your status (days spent in or out) of the EU. If you are not stamped on departure only real way to get this is to be date stamped in and out so something to insist on when travelling. From experience ‘officials’ are only too happy to wield a stamp.

If you fail to get stamped on arrival this could open a whole different can. How can you leave, if you never arrived? In practice, I anticipate this is unlikely to arise - you would be stamped out in the normal way.

If caught in this situation immediately get proof of your location - possibly parking fine, paid by credit card or some less expensive option?

‘Residents’ travelling around the EU could encounter a different situation.

ps This actually happened to us travelling between Southern and Northern Cyprus (where you use to have to get a day visa). In the North, returning to the South we surrendered our day visa but it got lost.

When we attempted to return to the North a year later, the South alleged we had never returned to the South (at this point we were standing in the South at their boarder). We were accused of being ‘illegals’ and the South threatened to confiscate our passports.

Pointed out HM would not be very impressed.

I produced my NATO Travel Order, which just confused the issue further until, I walked over the road to the North>South crossing point, with our passports and asked them to give me an exit visa.

Armed with still wet visa, I returned to the South>North crossing point, presented visa and was issued with a South>North visa - with a bit of imagination, problem solved.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Ireland's in the pre-EU Common Travel Area so no need for immigration - they may not be able to or equipped to stamp your passport.

Until the Schengen database goes live, I think traveling will be similar to using a Carnet - turn up early, hassle customs/immigration and hope you don't miss your flight or lose the Carnet bond.

I assume you are referring to NI?

Will you actually be affected by this or is this just kite flying?

As said before, if you go to any departures, it is my experience, getting your passport date stamped to leave has never been an issue.

But we live in new times.

syvictoria

Visit site

As said before, if you go to any departures, it is my experience, getting your passport date stamped to leave has never been an issue.

But we live in new times.

The Common Travel Area is an agreement between the Rep. of Ireland and the UK (and the Crown Dependencies).

PlanB

Visit site
Yes, that would certainly be a good idea. However, strictly speaking, that's not actually proof of departure... Perhaps a boarding card together with a credit card bill showing spending in the UK imminently afterwards would carry more weight?
Years ago I had to do this when I succeeded in getting out of the US with the immigration form still stapled in my passport. Supplied a load of evidence to the US Consulate in London, got no reply but successfully entered the US without comment a year later.

st599

Visit site

No, I'm referring to the Republic of Ireland (and Isle of Man, Channel Islands etc.). The CTA was founded in 1923 and means that once you're in one country you're free to travel to any of the others (unless there's a court order against you). You don't need a passport to travel from the UK to Ireland, so why would they have full passport controls between the two?

As for Carnets - yes, every time I've travelled outside the EU for work in the last 25 years - and now every time I travel to the EU too. Having £50k in bond which you lose if you don't get the stamps focuses the mind.

jacaldo

Visit site
I'm curious to know the answer to this. The stamp should have been obtained upon leaving Greece. Nothing AFAIK to do with UK border control and so I'm not sure how this can be rectified now that you're back home! I'm sure that others are likely to suffer the same problem however... At least ETIAS will remove this potential situation next year.

If the problem isn't rectified, and electronic proof can't be provided either, it's possible (worst case scenario) that you won't be permitted access back in to the Schengen area when you next attempt to visit. :eek:

Edited to add: In the absence of an easier or more sensible solution, perhaps a call to the Greek embassy will be required?
The Greek embassy is impossible to contact. I looked at ETIAS for next year but we're not on the list yet?
As mentioned I will keep and take with me proof of our return to the UK, we have the day 2 test so there must be electronic proof of us being back in the UK.
Once again " Brexit, The gift that keeps on giving"

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I'm sorry but I have little sympathy for those who travel without understanding to he laws of the country they travel to.
Schengen has been in place for decades so there is no excuse for not understanding that (until ETIAS) you are responsible for demonstrating that you have entered legally and not overstayed.
If you enter (via a private boat) and choose not to get a passport stamp I think you can expect problems. We were bordered (at anchor) off Muros by customs. They also wanted to see the entry stamp in our passports.
It may be a hassle, but why on earth would you not ensure that the official who presumably looked at your passport, gave you an exit stamp?

TiggerToo

Visit site
The Common Travel Area is an agreement between the Rep. of Ireland and the UK (and the Crown Dependencies).
does this mean that I (as a UK resident) could stay in Ireland indefinitely (or, more importantly, keep my boat there for a long time)?

jacaldo

Visit site
I'm sorry but I have little sympathy for those who travel without understanding to he laws of the country they travel to.
Schengen has been in place for decades so there is no excuse for not understanding that (until ETIAS) you are responsible for demonstrating that you have entered legally and not overstayed.
If you enter (via a private boat) and choose not to get a passport stamp I think you can expect problems. We were bordered (at anchor) off Muros by customs. They also wanted to see the entry stamp in our passports.
It may be a hassle, but why on earth would you not ensure that the official who presumably looked at your passport, gave you an exit stamp?
Don't know if this reply is directed at me, but I will answer as if it is. I'm well aware of the necessary travel arrangements that were required to visit Greece while we (UK) were part of the European Union. As you say Schengen has been in place for many years and even though we (UK) were not part of it we did have rights to travel and work in Schengen countries without having to abide by a 90/180 day rule. It is since Brexit that problems have started with no one actually knowing what proof is required to stop/start the 90/180 day rule.
As I mentioned in my original post, we had our passports stamped on entry to Greece and I actually thought our passports would be stamped on entry back in to the UK, to prove we had left Schengen, this is not the case and the very nice border control man at Manchester didn't know what to suggest, that is why I have asked the question. Oh and by the way, I'm not looking for sympathy, just some advice.

Last edited: