500 mile "dry run"

CPD

Visit site
500 mile \"dry run\"

It would be interesting to hear from those with more experience of what could constitute a check list for the 500 mile dry run, in terms of what you would like to achieve, or think should be achieved, things to look out for and things to expect. I will be heading off into the North Sea in 2 weeks time to sail for 6 days non-stop.

Pye_End

Visit site
Re: 500 mile \"dry run\"

It will be interesting to hear how you get on. Where in the North Sea do you intend to sail?

Would have thought that the hardest parts are going to be managing sleep / fatigue, whilst also making sure collision avoidance is also managed. North Sea is presumably harder to single hand in than say going off into the Atlantic for 500 miles? Do you have a plan?

Good luck - and we expect a full report on your return!

Gargleblaster

Visit site

The North Sea is hard for more than 36 hours single handed because of the shipping and the oil platforms. You really have no choice but to stay awake. I dropped off to sleep one night in the North Sea only to be awakened by the dazzle of the oil platform immediately above me, which I thought, before I dropped off was too far down tide. I find after 36 hours without sleep the hallucinations become quite entertaining. The only thing that has worked successfully for me in terms of sleep in the North Sea is to snooze during the day, when you can sometimes afford to sleep a little longer. My favourite trick is to lie full length on the lee cockpit seat and catch a bit of sleep.
All that said my experience of the North Sea is limited to the southern part as I have never been further north than Helgoland or the entrance to the Eider.
If I was to do a 500 mile 'dry run' I wouldn't do it in the southern North Sea. You have both the Deep Water Route between the UK and the Continent and a Traffic Separation Scheme running up the Dutch and German coasts. The fine for crossing the TSS east of Borkum was a couple of years ago about a thousand euros and it is policed by German gun boats.
I don't know if it is possible for you to get to the Western Approaches. About 2 days out of Falmouth you can be fairly clear of shipping and fishing boats which makes sleeping a lot easier as you can set up a fairly stable routine.

CPD

Visit site

Thanks for the comments gents. The plan is to eventually end up in Newcastle starting from the Blackwater, using whatever wind I can en-route. Given the experience I have, and also the comments you make, I intend to head North as much as possible to kick off with and then see what the wind will allow, staying in the western sea although keeping well well off land. For me the main issues will be sleep and trying out the windvane which I am in the process of completing. I am hoping that adjustments/repairs can be made en-route with the vane, but as it is a first fit, who knows (www.mrvane.com) - A customer with no commercial etc et. As far as the sleep issue goes, yes I have also used, and will again, the leeward cockpit seat with the old faithful kitchen timer. I will let you know how it goes, but keep the ideas coming !!. Thanks again.

CPD

Visit site

I should add that I will be trying to get this to work :

http://home.no.net/naomij/hffax.html

I have posted elsewhere the reception issues I have had with this system. I am hoping that getting well offshore will reduce background interference which I hope is causing the issues of non-reception. Again, I will let you know how I get on. Work is pants at the moment and I am so looking forward to this trip !!!!

Gargleblaster

Visit site

While I have been following MrVanes's progress for some time I don't really know what idiosyncrasies it has. I will be interested to hear how you find it - the upside down wind vane is very interesting as my biggest problem with a windpilot is keeping the vane vertical in light winds which will not be a problem for you. When I first got my windvane I found the biggest thing was to keep playing with it and not to give up on it even in light winds. It's amazing what they will do if you keep tweaking them. The other thing I found with mine is that either the control lines keep stretching or my knot tying needs more work as I have to keep retying the knots as the control lines get more slack, particularly in heavy weather when the vane is working really hard.

CPD

Visit site

Thanks John, really interesting. Only yesterday bought two types of control line to try out - min stretch being a pre-requisite. Will let you know what happens.

Gargleblaster

Visit site

What hardware are you using for the radio signal to receive the weatherfaxes?
I must admit I keep looking at some form of long range communications but the cost or the complexity of installing puts me off.
So far I have got by with an aneroid barometer that measures in inches and Buys Ballots Law. I keep looking at electronic barometers that measure in isobars and give you a history - but as I write my barometer readings in the log it is a bit of a luxury and something else to stop working when the seawater gets into it.
I bought a VHF radio with Navtex included [Silva S15] as on a previous trip on another boat we were getting navtex messages out of Canada for at least half way across the Atlantic from the American side.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the comments gents. The plan is to eventually end up in Newcastle starting from the Blackwater, using whatever wind I can en-route. Given the experience I have, and also the comments you make, I intend to head North as much as possible to kick off with and then see what the wind will allow, staying in the western sea although keeping well well off land. [......] but keep the ideas coming !!. Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do be aware that the section of your trip from The Wash to the Humber is completely devoid of any safe havens (Saltfleetby has less water than a damp sponge these days - which is why you won't find it in most Almanacs) - which could pose difficulties if there is any North in the wind. Sailing Directions for that area suggest standing further offshore for safety under those conditions - but then you will have the rigs to contend with - which will be complemented in a few years by several large wind-farm arrays (!).
The rest of your route also has few safe havens accessible in all weathers. Personally, I'd pick a bit of open ocean if at all possible for your trial run.

Colin

CPD

Visit site

Im using a Sangean ATS909 radio plued into the HPLX200. I really hope I can get it working as it clearly will be so useful. I also have Naxtex on board and hear reception ranges of anywhere between 2-800 miles offshore. This is a receiving SW system only which helps enormously in keeping the cost down. It is simply a SW radio plugged into a small hand held computer both run off batteries, and thats it. I have big hopes, but we will see. I am looking at the moment also at Sat phones and trying to understand the rental/purchase balance but as with all phone related things - it seems to be madly complicated. I have to confess also to having just taken the plunge and bought an electronic barometer which is as yuou so correctly say, a luxury. IUnteresting you went for the S15 - I was very close to doinmg the same but heard of probs with early models so steered clear.
Gaffer tape and WD40 - I love it !!!!!!!!

CPD

Visit site

Colin, thanks for your comments. I did a similar trip to this last year, only with stops, and yes, Wells to Bridlington is a long old stretch (unless you fancy a longer run into the Humber), so its is as you say, something to think about. I only have a 6 day window at this time and yes it is far from ideal, but hey, you goes with what you've got !

2nd_apprentice

Visit site

Quite the same here: using the Sangean ATS818ACS with fancy tape deck and a Laptop running SeaTTY to decode the transmissions (via speakers/earphone out, line in/microphone connection). What kind of hand held do you have? Thought they all came without proper sound card.

andlauer

Visit site

Anticipation :
- if you are "behind" the boat it will be a nightmare. You will rush, exhaust yourself, do mistakes, create more job to do... and even if you are exhaused you can't rely on anyone else !
- if you are far "in front" of the boat on the oversecured path (imagine that something may go wrong anytime) with an undersailed boat, an over-rested crew, a feed, dry and warm crew; the work will be hard but in case of sudent issue you'll have plenty of ressources available. If you fell unconfortable and not happy at sea, just abort the try. I did it after a 24 hours NW headwind in west channel. It was a good decision.
Eric

andlauer

Visit site

Fatigue :
Fatigue is the most dangerous: it leads to hallucinations and that is realy dangerous.
Go to sleep or to rest BEFORE behing tired. Consider your body like a battery and try and keep it all the time full. Abort tuning the boat, navigation duty... to rest.
Take two alarm clock systems (I used my cellphone on timer and alarm mode to have a less agressive tune) in order to be waken up by the second alarm in case you fall back to sleep after the first alarm.
Rest by small slices (1/4 of an hour in dense area) day and night. Be carefull to maintain the watch at day time. A quarter at the chart table is very short. (I used a repetitive electronic watch timer on a quarter basis).
Eric

andlauer

Visit site

Feeding and drinking
- dehydratation symptoms are very similar to seasick.
- you should have a bottle of water and fast feeding (prefere sandwitchs (camembert baguette is perfect /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) to sweety and greecy stuff have a sleeping effect) in the cockpit.
- you should be carefull not to forget to drink and feed yourself at regular hours with a huge breakfast (australian bushman type is OK) as main course.
- Stop working to maintain your crew in good helth by feeding it, you only have one!
- You should never fell thirsty or hungry.
- Avoid alcool (but the mandatory half glass of French red wine with the camembert. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
- check your dehydratation level by locking at your pee. It should have almost no color.
Eric

andlauer

Visit site

Cold :
- Once you get cold it's very difficult to warm yourself.
- Always take time to wear the oilskin.
- keep your stuff as dry as possible.
- at night sleep in boots and oilskin without sleeping bag.
- drink hot: like soops or tea. Baby hot bottles with strap to wear around the nec and snipping tube are marvelous. Be carefull not to burn your mouth! They really keep warm.
Eric

CPD

Visit site

Eric,
Some great advice - thank you very much, but you forgot the marmite drinks to keep warm ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CPD

Visit site

Hi, trip turned into 280 miles Blackwater to Newcastle - winds were too strong to start using mrvane for the first time, and didnt see the point in completing 500 miles just for the sake of it, using a steering system (tiller pilot) that hopefully wont be used in the challenge.

<u>Sleep</u>
Last Thursday eve I had 3 hrs sleep then from Friday morning to Sunday evening had countless 10min "head rests" in the cockpit, I guess 20-30% of which I fell asleep during. If not doing anything else, and the all well with the boat, would set the kitchen timer and doze. Even though it was a relatively short period of time, I genuinely felt comfortable at the end of it. On SUnday, I didnt rest at all for the last 4 hours as I was preparing for an anticipated exciting entry into the Tyne - I wasnt dissapointed !. A point that Eric made I think is key - anticipate - rest even if you dont feel tired, as you dont know what will happen that could prevent you from resting when you feel like it. Also, make sure that all is well with the boat before you do rest, it made relaxing much easier. A further point re sleep is that I dont think 10mins is enough for you to drop into a deep sleep which I think is a good thing. I know there is a science attached to this, and what worked for me may not for others. I certainly knew when I had slept as I felt distinctly more groggy when the alarm went off. i didnt have a second alarm, but on reflection, will do in the future, as I am sure if you do go into a deep sleep, it will be a long one, as it was on Sunday pm when I got back.

<u>Keep Warm</u>
I couldnt, despite several layers, and as a result ended up eating probably far more than I would have done, if it had been warmer, and also drinking more fluids (hot tea!) which although prevented dehydration, made for amusing and numerous reaches for the pee bucket. For next time, I will get a looser fit jacket, and build up lots of thinner layers.

<u>Steering System</u>
I didnt use mrvane at all whioch was dissapointing although I didnt feel confident enough given the wind strength (130 miles in 24 hrs in my Centaur /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif !!!!!!!!!). Also, given the abundance of gas rigs passed, I wouldnt have felt great resting for even 10mins knowing that a wind shift could take you completely away from where you thought you were going before you put your head down. The next stage is to test the system in the blackwater in preparation for a further 500mile+ jaunt that I will do later this year.

<u>Weatherfax</u>
I never received a sausage, and coiuldnt even hear anything resembling a fax transmission at any time. I am now seriously thinking the radio may be at fault. i will keep on with this and hopefully will have more promising news in the future.

<u>Feeding</u>
Cheese sandwiches, tinned fish, cereals, tea and chocolate biscuits, all in abundance. I ate well, and see no reason why a similar menu would not work. Again, a short trip, but I got through 2 litres of water per day, on tea and other drinks.

<u>Keeping a look out</u>
Without fail, and despite how much I didnt want to, i got up after each 10min rest to have a good look round. On 2 ocassions I am very glad I did. The other thing that happened, and this related directly to the "Keeping Sane" post is that I read a good book but found myself becoming too absorbed by it, and didnt look around often enough - perhaps a second alarm would have been useful ? It has to be borne in mind though that this was the western North Sea, which carries volumes of traffic (and stationary targets too) that dont exist in the atlantic !.

<u>Summary</u>
A much shorter trip than envisaged which would have been the full 500 miles if the wind has eased and I had had enough confidence to start using the gear. However, finding a sleep pattern that I am confident will work was a major bonus, and I learned a lot of other things too.

The fact that it was by far the best and most enjoyable solo sail I have ever had also helped ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Other threads that may be of interest