4.5kg Calor Gas Problem !

Greg2

Visit site
The issue with Calor supplies have been going on for a long time apparently - a major yard on the Broads stopped supplying to anyone apart from their own hire boats a year or so ago because of the issues. Having spent a long time trying to find a 4.5kg bottle we established that the consensus amongst suppliers is that an already less than perfect supply chain has been made worse by a shipment of new bottles from abroad that were defective— that and the number of bottles sitting in people’s sheds and garages unused.

We only managed to get a replacement earlier this year by chance when we passed a campsite in Derbyshire with gas supply signs.

Momac

Visit site
I agree there have been issues before covid.
I found a ref to short supply of 4.5kg bottles dated 2016 .

Time Out

Visit site
Serious question!! Does gas go off ? I found a 7.5 (blue) in my late grandmother’s garage that came from their camper van. It’s got to be 20 years old at least. It’s full and I’m about to use it for my pizza oven ! Should be okay ?

Big John

Visit site
If it is of any help in the first instant you make contact with Calor direct. Explain the issue, they will ask what area you are from and direct you to their local Calor depot. You contact them and they can tell you to which camping shop(s) they have shipped the 4.5Kg bottles to. You then make contact with them. We recently did just that and easily exchanged our two empty bottles and got 2 x 4.5Kg bottles. They also offered to deliver.

Greg2

Visit site
If it is of any help in the first instant you make contact with Calor direct. Explain the issue, they will ask what area you are from and direct you to their local Calor depot. You contact them and they can tell you to which camping shop(s) they have shipped the 4.5Kg bottles to. You then make contact with them. We recently did just that and easily exchanged our two empty bottles and got 2 x 4.5Kg bottles. They also offered to deliver.

Yep, we contacted our local depot and were advised that it is a national problem and they haven't had any in for a long time. I guess you dropped lucky :)

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
that and the number of bottles sitting in people’s sheds and garages unused.
Made all the worse by Calor's insane exchange policy.

I have two Propane 3.9 and one butane 4.5 sitting empty. I would love to have a full 6Kg propane. Oficcialy those are cylinder sizes that you can interchange, but you try finding someone that can do it? If I could exchange them, I would hapilly surrender all 3 for a single 6Kg Propane. But they won't do it and they won't give me anything for the empties, so they sit unused until such time as they will.

I will probably self refill the two 3.9's to end the insane stalemate.

Alternatively since you can't get any of these as a new customer, I might just offer them for sale and let someone else have the fun of finding a refill.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Serious question!! Does gas go off ? I found a 7.5 (blue) in my late grandmother’s garage that came from their camper van. It’s got to be 20 years old at least. It’s full and I’m about to use it for my pizza oven ! Should be okay ?
Did you die a horrible fiery death involving numerous other innocent bystanders or was it all ok?
One would hate to think of all the potential damage and that's not to mention the pets and the aircraft crashes related to gas bottle flame outs when pilots lose concentration and look a the really big fire on the ground. This usually causes significant loss of life when the plane crashes. One can hope.

If you did die I can understand why there may be no reply here.

Hopefully it was ok and no one was harmed but it's always worth checking.

Time Out

Visit site
Did you die a horrible fiery death involving numerous other innocent bystanders or was it all ok?
One would hate to think of all the potential damage and that's not to mention the pets and the aircraft crashes related to gas bottle flame outs when pilots lose concentration and look a the really big fire on the ground. This usually causes significant loss of life when the plane crashes. One can hope.

If you did die I can understand why there may be no reply here.

Hopefully it was ok and no one was harmed but it's always worth checking.
Rain stopped play !

Next week. But as you say always worth checking;)

normskib

Visit site
Still no sign of 4.5kg butane I’m afraid it’s been so long since I’ve been able to get any I think it may have gone the same way as the dodo ? might have to think of some alternative arrangement for next year’s boating season ?

Big John

Visit site
Convert to Propane. If you do it now most Butane outlets will exchange the cylinder for Propane. You then need a new fitting/regulator. Cheap as chips.

Parabordi

Visit site
Convert to Propane. If you do it now most Butane outlets will exchange the cylinder for Propane. You then need a new fitting/regulator. Cheap as chips.
wot he says, same size bottle too. I run propane and had no issues in the last 6 months

Bran

Visit site
Another propane user, had no issues getting refills, for example in September got a refill in Pangbourne, they had 7 available.
The issue you may have is that I have heard that Calor have advised their retailers not to exchange different bottle types at the moment. See if any 3.9 bottles are available nearby on eBay or gumtree etc.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
I was told that the staycation is to blame, patio heater sales went through the roof, hence loads of half-empty cylinders out of action in sheds and garages across the land.....pls note this could be total BS.

Time Out

Visit site
I was told that the staycation is to blame, patio heater sales went through the roof, hence loads of half-empty cylinders out of action in sheds and garages across the land.....pls note this could be total BS.
Ha !

I have two in my mothers garage. Both empty but from my late grandmothers house so no paperwork.

Have a 7.5 as well that’s now running my pizza oven.