3 Rivers Race 2022

dunedin

Visit site
We've had teams from Canada and individuals fly in from Hong Kong for the race. I've travelled from the outer Hebrides for the event. We have club members near Aberdeen. You would be welcome to bring a suitable boat, or hire one locally. A warning, sailing in the confines of tight rivers is very different. Sailing a 40ft cruiser up a 50ft wide river takes a different skill to the wide open spaces of the Clyde...
I know ! I have sailed the biggish gaff rigger Palace in these waters, which was a tight fit tacking - and even struggled at one point to turn round using ropes to get out of one dead end we had moored in.

The Q

Visit site
Ah not managed the knack of reversing, using prop walk and a pulse of opposite forward thrust to reverse down the dyke.
I've been on board America, she's not one I'd chose for the 3RR, a big beast, though there are those who have successfully completed the race in boats that size.
My ideal size for the 3RR is between 20ft and 25ft , that includes bowsprits , a good balance of displacement hull speed and manoeuvrability in the confines of the narrower rivers...