Plus assorted muddy creeks.
Boating in October . Maidstone.

Dover .September.

Thames. August. Its raining.

Woodbridge.

The real " MED" July.

Give way vessel is ?

St Kats. May.

Queenborough. ATL. Now boasting shorepower. October.

Two planned :) short trip s to go and possiblity of a different boat on the horizon.

Last edited:

Mark26

Visit site
My log for 2021

Bear in mind we were in lockdown from January through to the end of March, so these figures are for a 7 month period from April to end October 2021 (the time of writing).

I spent 1,324 hours on board during trips out. This does not including days spent working on/tinkering with the boat on its home berth.

Of those 1,324 hrs, I clocked 212 engine hours, which I find interesting, as it tells me that I was reliant on the batteries for 1,112 hours. Times that by the life expectancy of the batteries and their cost doesn’t seem so bad.

I spent £554 on diesel this year, buying a total of 587 litres giving me an average price of £0.94 per litre.

Average fuel consumption over the course of the year was 2.65 lph, I do have a Fisher Panda generator and Ebberspacer heating plumbed into the main fuel tank, but neither would have used very much at all during the 7 month period we are talking about.

Worryingly, the builders tell me my boat has a 320 litre fuel tank. On one occasion this year I managed to put 337 litres in it. I really must get around to fixing that fuel gauge.

I’ve spent a total of £6,098 on the boat this year, the majority of which is for a marina berth. The total includes £986 on maintenance all of which is done by myself, and is the lowest figure I’ve had for years as I’ve finally got on top of it. Next year however the old girl needs a 30 year survey for the insurance, plus I’m intending to lift it out for a transducer replacement and antifoul so more pennies needed.

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Roughly Henley Lechlade Henley teddingon Henley Oxford Henley Staines(!) Henley and other bits and pieces.
This does not include the monaco-st tropèz routines as they are subject to security clearance and not publicly available.

Time Out

Visit site
Tedd to Richmond and back about 60 times ;)

Actually nowhere near as much use as last year.

Engine service (new Merc 30hp) revealed the fact I put 130 hours on it in one season (2020) Not bad for a day boat ! I suspect it’s half that this year

oldgit

Visit site
Just done the calculations.
110 hours.
1322 litres of fuel.
Average fuel consumption 13 LPH.
Fuel cost @89P around £1200.00.
Moorings/Booze/Dinners out etc......... Not even going to go there.:)
Bits that fell off, got broken etc......... " ......... " ......... "

...and to counter all those myths about shaft boats cannot dry out
Missed out Conyer, a regular club destination and at £18..00 a night including power.
Ps the pants and trousers are NOT mine.

and to crush those scurrilous allegations that OG goes everywhere @ 5knots.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
So what is your normal cruising speed to get that average LPH? Must be more than 8knots.

6-8 knots.
Being lucky enough to boat in an area offering the best variety of boating anywhere in in the UK and probably the most attractive price wise as well , kept a log of fuel use from my last three proper boats.
This is from the P35 with 2 x 200HP 41B.
The best LPH is of course pottering around in the non tidal waters of the Thames and Medway this seems to be about 6-7 LPH, in the esturary and using the tides gives an average of 13-15 LPH.
The worst , in trip back down the "Essex" coast, was about 25 LPH at 15 knots.
Best speed recorded on the Ipad, 24.5 knots (with the tide , prob 2-3 knots ) just off Tilbury docks.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
The recommended maximum speed in Gravesend Reach is 15 knots.
Appreciated..... ........unless you are about to be made a plastic boat sandwich between a Ro Ro vessel around 10,000 tonnes that has hooted twice and a tug towing a rubbish barge that has just requested a Red to Red from yours truly . :)