2021 or 2022?

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I have been watching cruising blogs from stalled circumnavigators. Some have been stuck in one place fo so long they are having babies. Their plight is very sad to watch. Cannot stay where they are because they have run out of visa extensions. No-where to sail to because visitor visas are costing 5,000 dollars per person. Undocumented babies and puppies. Yachts in no state to tackle an ocean voyage. Some are only experiencing minor difficulties, others are in real trouble.

It is so sad that people who have saved for years for a great adventure have been caught with a boat they cannot walk away from. I have heard that some cruisers are in even deeper trouble because their boats are still in mortgage. Just proves the Shakesperian quote about the best laid plans and the slip between cup and lip. From the security of my armchair I would like to offer them advice. But don't worry I will not, simply because I have no answer.

Edit. forgot the title thing. Should we all realise that it will be 2022 before the pandemic peakes out in far-away places.

XDC

Visit site
Are you talking YouTube when you say "watching"?

You seem to have identified 6 problems:

Stuck in one place
Babies
Can't stay where they are
Visas
Puppies
Unseaworthy craft.

Is this 6 different people or the same couple having all those problems?

Would appreciate some links as I follow quite a few vlogs and none, thankfully, are suffering the way you describe.

TIA

newtothis

Visit site
Oh, the humanity!
My heart goes out to the sun-bleached world wafters forced by their privileged position to learn how the other half spend their entire lives.
If only they had access to a seventh-floor studio flat in a tower block with a dodgy lift on a sink estate in Peckham.
The cruelty of it all.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Are you talking YouTube when you say "watching"?

You seem to have identified 6 problems:

Stuck in one place
Babies
Can't stay where they are
Visas
Puppies
Unseaworthy craft.

Is this 6 different people or the same couple having all those problems?

Would appreciate some links as I follow quite a few vlogs and none, thankfully, are suffering the way you describe.

TIA
Yes youtube and ordinary blogs. Also emails from buddies on the cruising circuit I keep up with. I cannot "do" links with my set - up. Sorry. One does spring to mind and it is "sailing Nanji" or something like that.

XDC

Visit site
Yes youtube and ordinary blogs. Also emails from buddies on the cruising circuit I keep up with. I cannot "do" links with my set - up. Sorry. One does spring to mind and it is "sailing Nanji" or something like that.

Thanks, don't need links, just an idea of the name ... White Spot, Britaly, ABSea ... that sort of thing.

Just found Nandji, will follow.

Any more?

Last edited:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Oh, the humanity!
My heart goes out to the sun-bleached world wafters forced by their privileged position to learn how the other half spend their entire lives.
If only they had access to a seventh-floor studio flat in a tower block with a dodgy lift on a sink estate in Peckham.
The cruelty of it all.
They planned on living through an adventure. Why did you buy a boat?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Oh, the humanity!
The cruelty of it all.
That lift in Nelson Mandela house has always been a problem Roddy .

Visit site
I have been watching cruising blogs from stalled circumnavigators. Some have been stuck in one place fo so long they are having babies. Their plight is very sad to watch. Cannot stay where they are because they have run out of visa extensions. No-where to sail to because visitor visas are costing 5,000 dollars per person. Undocumented babies and puppies. Yachts in no state to tackle an ocean voyage. Some are only experiencing minor difficulties, others are in real trouble.

It is so sad that people who have saved for years for a great adventure have been caught with a boat they cannot walk away from. I have heard that some cruisers are in even deeper trouble because their boats are still in mortgage. Just proves the Shakesperian quote about the best laid plans and the slip between cup and lip. From the security of my armchair I would like to offer them advice. But don't worry I will not, simply because I have no answer.

Edit. forgot the title thing. Should we all realise that it will be 2022 before the pandemic peakes out in far-away places.
I didn't realize that Rabbie Burns had taken the idea of best laid schemes of mice from Shakespeare :)

PlanB

Visit site
Everybody has different circumstances and different dramas - let's not minimise this.
I lived aboard very happily in Spain (below the radar) with my partner for 12 years. He died, I got cancer and by some miracle, I managed to sell the boat and move back to the UK.
Had I not managed to sell, either option - the sole liveaboard in a Spanish marina, or living in the UK with a boat I can't access to keep safe doesn't bear thinking about.
Reading all the stories of people stuck, unable to get to their boats, Brexit complications, Covid complications I just feel so lucky to have sold the boat, even though I miss it and the lifestyle so much.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I didn't realize that Rabbie Burns had taken the idea of best laid schemes of mice from Shakespeare :)
Read it properly, you may learn something. Focus on the phrase after the word "about" which describes the subject of the Shakespearian quote "between the lip etc".

BurnitBlue

Visit site
This “epidemic” will last at least till 2023.
I think so also. We are told only vaccnation wil end the pandemic worldwide. 7 billion people at the rate of vaccination today will be at least 2023 or longer. Especially in poor countries. I sincerely hope not but I am having a re-think about the Caribbean in 2021.

Sandy

Visit site

As a friend and past CEO of a pretty major organization used to say, "Shit happens, get over it".

We all have challenges in life, If they had not planned an escape route then they need to sit down and think about what they want from life.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
As a friend and past CEO of a pretty major organization used to say, "Shit happens, get over it".

We all have challenges in life, If they had not planned an escape route then they need to sit down and think about what they want from life.
Rubbish. Did you know in advance about the impending Covid pandemic. To plan for an unexpected pandemic if this proportion it would be wise to stay at home sitting on the sofa. According to you that will your plan while waiting for the next pandemic. Total idiotic plan for the future. Jusy keep repeating "shit happens get over it" lock the doors, stay home just in case. Essentially on this occasion there is no escape route. Governments have closed the borders. It is totally beyond the control of cruisers who have been caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Barbaria

Visit site
We sailed away April 2020 and have sailed every day since.
We had 30 days with sailing prohibition in France due to lockdown, stuck in Côte d’Azur buhuuu…
Still out sailing ⛵

Rappey

Visit site
I follow quite a few vlogs
Sailing into freedom. An Australian guy and a south American wife sailing on a very tight budget.
They get shipwrecked in their catamaran in australia in the middle of nowhere, buy another boat and go on to have an adventure and disasters.
The guy has been stuck anchored by a remote island with a broken boat and virtually no food and water. Covid and being ordered away from many caribbean countries caused him huge problems and was stuck at sea for something like 60+ days on his own.
I watched a fair few channels where a young, not so experienced couple with a small budget buy a boat in the uk, get it ready to sail and go such as willing sailing, sailing kittiwake, sailing kallisto.
Sailing nahoa, they go to some interesting not often visited places and are very good at integrating with the locals. In one video in Panama they were woken by a huge anteater climbing up their solar panel from and up the wind turbine pole , whilst at anchor !!!
There are a lot of superbly filmed sailing channels out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: XDC

Seven Spades

Visit site
Sailing Yacht Florence is the best channel of them all as far as I am concerned. They are a wonderful couple and they had been stuck in one anchorage for a year, unable to move because every country was closed. Unable to go ashore expect on the tiny offshore island that they and other boats we in the lea of. They too have had all sorts of problems getting visa extensions and face a huge dilemma about what to do now. They are now being permitted to move around Indonesia, but they don't know where to go to next as their exit plans all seem to be blocked.

There are some people in really difficult situations the most unforgivable thing is the attitude of New Zealand who could easily have set aside a bay to allow boat seeking refuge to anchor in and quarantine in. They would pose no danger to their citizens, even if they has set quarantine at 3 months most cruisers would have accepted that. NZ will only let you in if you spend 50,000 NZD, unbelievable.

newtothis

Visit site
Sailing Yacht Florence is the best channel of them all as far as I am concerned. They are a wonderful couple and they had been stuck in one anchorage for a year, unable to move because every country was closed. Unable to go ashore expect on the tiny offshore island that they and other boats we in the lea of. They too have had all sorts of problems getting visa extensions and face a huge dilemma about what to do now. They are now being permitted to move around Indonesia, but they don't know where to go to next as their exit plans all seem to be blocked.

There are some people in really difficult situations the most unforgivable thing is the attitude of New Zealand who could easily have set aside a bay to allow boat seeking refuge to anchor in and quarantine in. They would pose no danger to their citizens, even if they has set quarantine at 3 months most cruisers would have accepted that. NZ will only let you in if you spend 50,000 NZD, unbelievable.
NZ has had 26 deaths from Covid in a population of c.5m. I reckon its policy is working pretty damn well. Why the hell should it be expected to be a refugee centre for random cruisers?
And NZ will only let you in if you need a major refit. The legislation states:

The Director-General may give permission for a ship to arrive in New Zealand only if—
(a) all of the persons on board the ship are able to travel to New Zealand in accordance with the Immigration Act 2009; or
(b) the ship is seeking permission to arrive in New Zealand for the purpose of—
(i) reprovisioning or refuelling, or both; or
(ii) carrying out a refit or a refurbishment of, or a repair to, the ship that is more than minor; or
(iii) delivering the ship to a business; or
(c) there is a compelling need for the ship to arrive in New Zealand for humanitarian reasons.

Your gripe that NZ is letting boats in only for money is tired and wrong.