2 micron diesel fuel filter - CAV 296 style

zambant

Visit site
Does anyone know of a 2 micron filter that will fit into a CAV296 housing please?
I want to polish my fuel without going to the expense of a Racor unit.
Many thanks
John

pvb

Visit site
I don't think there is one. The Delphi HDF296 filter is rated at 6-9 microns. For fuel polishing, this would be fine. 6-9 microns is about a tenth of the thickness of a human hair, so the filter will trap the majority of particles of rubbish.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
2 microns is incredibly small. When I was giving training courses on gas and mechanical seals that rely on clearances down at that level I had an image from a scanning electron microscope to illustrate it. 1 micron is the diameter of a hair on the kneecap of a gnat!

pcatterall

Visit site
When researching for my fuel polisher I Read an interesting article on filters and was suprised at how the filtering was improved by repeated passes. I had thought that a 10micron filter would stop anything bigger than 10 microns but evidently several passes were needed to get near to 100% ‘someone can no doubt refer you to the article.
I used my 8 micron filter to salvage some murky deisel and found the colour improved visibly for each of the first 3 passes.

smeaks

Visit site
As the filter blinds the size of the particulate trapped reduces the pay of is an increase in differential pressure across it.

captainboo

Visit site
In simple terms - As the filter does its job it will gradually filter out smaller and smaller particles as the holes in the filter medium gradually clog up and as they do so more pressure is required to force the fluid through the ever decreasing holes.

theoldsalt

Visit site
1. 10 micron filters (for example) do not have 10 micron holes in them. If they did they would rapidly clog. In fact they do not contain "holes" at all. The oil passes between surfaces that attract particles down to 10 micron. It can therefore attract a lot more particles before a filter "clogs".

2. No filter is 100% efficient that is why several passes through a filter will achieve better filtration but will never achieve 100% efficiency. So removing every particle above 10 micron is vitually impossible.

blobby47

Visit site
hi all

filters are specified as absolute (nothing bigger than specified on first pass, clog easily) and nominal will allow bigger particles until partially clogged ) some have in built bypasses so indicators are needed ,to avoid wasted time and effort

blobby47

Visit site
if not marked will probably be nominal ,,absolute types are normally very expensive and used in different applications to engine oil/motor fuel applications

Visit site
I cleaned my fuel tank out the other week as it had the bug, I decided to salvage the 60 ltrs of diesel by pumping it through a cav 296 set up. After the 3rd pass the filter clogged up, but after the 5 the pass the fuel was clean and ruby red instead of the dull off red it started off as.
So go for it, it seemed to work for me.